Is SP in SC ok with all the rain?

(23 posts)
  • Started 3 years ago by lestrout
  • Latest reply from natsarimhatorah
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

lestrout

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Watching the news, I was amazed at the biblical amount of rainfall that's going through South Carolina. And it's going to maintain the pace till Tuesday night! The maps look like Charleston is in the middle of it, and I thought of how sponsor Smoking Pipes is doing. Any word?

hp
    les

Posted 3 years ago #
  2. bonehed

bonehed

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Sent messages but awaiting response... will update when I hear anything...

Posted 3 years ago #
  3. deathmetal

deathmetal

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

If you look out into the gulf and see tins of Penzance floating by, you know they're in trouble...

"My own experience has been that the tools I need for my trade are paper, tobacco, food, and a little whiskey." -- William Faulkner

The Metal Mixtures
    Posted 3 years ago #
  4. ray47

ray47

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I hope they faired better then we did in Sumter, SC. I was lucky, no damage. We got 20 inches of rain and a lot of roads here in Sumter have collapsed. We have to boil our water before we drink it. When I got up a couple of hours ago, it's still raining but not as bad. The wind has kicked up and now we're concerned about trees falling over power lines.

Posted 3 years ago #
  5. lordofthepiperings

lordofthepiperings

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I hope they're okay, I still have to place my order for Mac Baren's HH Pure Virginia.

Seriously, hope it lets up soon. Thoughts and prayers and bowls of hope sent your way.

"The thinking man always smokes a Peterson." -Peterson of Dublin
    Posted 3 years ago #
  6. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Save the tobacco! Save the tobacco! ...and Russ. Or, Russ, just stay in New Orleans!!!

We stopped at at Ocean Springs, Mississippi on the way back home, and the ocean was pushed back 200+ yards from where the beach normally was. Locals said that it had been stuck that way for a couple of days. The news was saying that North winds caused by the hurricane was pushing the water further out to sea. No waves, no tide, empty looking ocean, and unusually cold weather for this time of year was very odd. But, I did enjoy smoking my pipes on the beach, with people building bonfires and roasting fish caught in the unlimited tide pools. weird but neat.

Michael
    Posted 3 years ago #
  7. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I heard that nine miles of I-95 in S.C. were closed, so you know the flooding is serious. Parts of Charleston are underwater. There's a reason they call coastal S.C. The Low Country. I hope smokingpipes.com, the business, and all of its staff and their home places are dry and safe. N.C. has had more than two weeks of rain, and it is still cloudy and very humid, but we may catch a glimpse of sun tomorrow.

Posted 3 years ago #
  8. deathmetal

deathmetal

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I hope smokingpipes.com, the business, and all of its staff and their home places are dry and safe.

Me too. If not, maybe we can take them in as refugees, if they bring over a tin or two.

Posted 3 years ago #
  9. ray47

ray47

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I heard that nine miles of I-95 in S.C. were closed, so you know the flooding is serious.

Interstate 20 is closed from Florence, SC to Columbia, SC.
    Interstate 95 is closed from Florence, SC to Interstate 26.

Posted 3 years ago #
  10. bonehed

bonehed

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Heard from one of the guys - some are working from home due to road closures but most made it in and all are in good health!

Posted 3 years ago #
  11. joshuaburgess

joshuaburgess

Login to Send PM

Thanks for thinking of us, guys. The office, along with all of our pipes and tobacco are safe and sound. We do have some flooding in the area, but it's not as bad as what's happening in other areas of the state. Some of our staff members were unable to make it into the office today, but all are safe and well. For that we are most grateful.

Others of us had no problems getting to work, so we've got folks manning the phones and answering e-mails. And shipping is getting packages out the door. So if there's anything y'all need, please do give us a call or shoot us an e-mail.

Thanks,

Josh

Posted 3 years ago #
  12. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Good to know, and thanks for the update, Josh!

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 3 years ago #
  13. buckaroo

buckaroo

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Good to hear. btw, there was a piper on the msn front page. Not a morning person and thought I was seeing things.

Posted 3 years ago #
  14. rockymtnsmoker

rockymtnsmoker

Login to Send PM

That is some crazy shit in SC. My prayers and best wishes for everyone impacted. My city, Calgary, was under water a couple of years back. Scary times. Also, glad to hear that sp.com is high and dry and that everyone is safe.

Posted 3 years ago #
  15. blendtobac

blendtobac

Tobacco Blender Extraordinaire

Login to Send PM

I had the chance to spend some time with the folks from SmokingPipes on the day of the New Orleans Show, and I join everyone on hoping that everyone is okay.

Russ

Posted 3 years ago #
  16. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Oh what a relief. The anxiety of having all those beautiful tins and briars floating away was beginning the grow. Stay safe! Don't try to drive through flooded roads. It may drown your car or you. A few inches of water in motion can drag a car over the berm into the river/bay/lake.

Posted 3 years ago #
  17. admin

Kevin Godbee

Smoking a Pipe Right Now

Login to Send PM

I talked to Sykes last night, and he said that everything is ok. They only had a fraction of staff at work yesterday, and UPS didn't pick-up because so many roads are closed. Otherwise, they are operating normally.

Feel free to go shopping here: http://smokingpipes.com/

Check Out Our - Pipes Podcast
    Posted 3 years ago #
  18. User has not uploaded an avatar

lestrout

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yo Kev

Thanks for the update. Good to hear SP et al are doing ok through the epic rains. Sad as the loss of baki and pipes might have been, what would have been irreplaceable are the good folks there.

hp
    les

Posted 3 years ago #
  19. ray47

ray47

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I doubt if I'll see mail delivery for awhile here in SC, so I'll hold off ordering from smokingpipes.com or anyone else for that matter.

Posted 3 years ago #
  20. brass

brass

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I was in Charleston over the weekend. Oysters were coming out of the manholes. Stayed with family in Summerville, right out of 'Charleston. Not as bad there.

Posted 3 years ago #
  21. huntertrw

huntertrw

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

"Thanks for thinking of us, guys. The office, along with all of our pipes and tobacco are safe and sound..."

That's good to hear. For a while there I thought that you might have to change the name of the business to soppypipes.com!

Love Me, Love My Pipe
    Posted 3 years ago #
  22. tennsmoker

tennsmoker

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Just glad all is well with the SP.com folks. I feared the worst for them and am glad to hear they have the high ground.

The past is never dead. It's not even past--Requiem for a Nun
    Posted 3 years ago #
  23. User has not uploaded an avatar

natsarimhatorah

Login to Send PM

I live in Osborn, SC, in Charleston County. Charleston was underwater for several days. Fortunately Smoking Pipes is further North.

Posted 3 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   cigrmaster, acidpox, alaskanpiper, anthonyrosenthal74, greeneyes, jiminks, glassjapan, tbradsim1, spartacus, madox07, mrenglish, danimalia, condorlover1