PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Forums has probably gone over this before, but it has been a long time. I have a number of great pipes (from my point of view) with saddle stems, but probably more with tapered stems. I admit, if I had two pipes that were equally attractive, I would probably opt for the tapered stem. However, my first pipe, which for the price was, and still is, quite a looker, not only had a saddle stem, but it was a vertical saddle stem so the flat part is up and down not sideways. I was surprised when I first encountered posts that announced the member just didn't like saddle stems. People will always differ on aesthetics, that's normal. I think a case could be made for saddle stems taking a little weight off a pipe, when that is desirable, though it would be a minor unimportant amount. I can't think of any arguments for or against saddle or tapered stems. Anything beyond personal visual tastes here? Or, if it is only taste, whats the attraction or detracting aspect of the saddle stem? Ideas? I think saddle stems look kind of sporty and spare in a good way. I think tapered look traditional and dignified.

haparnold

Lifer
Aug 9, 2018
Colorado Springs, CO
I definitely prefer a saddle stem, and always seek them out, purely from a functional standpoint. From the aesthetic standpoint, I'm indifferent, but I have a little trouble clenching some of my tapered stem pipes, while the saddle stems give me no trouble, hence my preference.
Some or most of this is probably a function of the fact that most of my collection consists of lower-end factory pipes (I don't think I own more than one or two pipes worth over $100). One of my higher-value pipes, a Savinelli Punto Oro Zulu, has the most comfortable stem I've ever put my teeth around-- it feels like nothing's there! I guess some of that comfort is due to the shape, but some of it is doubtless due to the fact that Sav spends a little extra time shaping their higher-grade pipes, vs. the low end of the scale where most of my pipes reside.

puffy

Lifer
Dec 24, 2010
North Carolina
I had a pipe once that was supposed to be a sitter.It kept tilting back and falling.I had the stem made into a saddle stem.That took just enough weight out to solve the problem.I have pipes with both kind of stems.I do think that saddle stems look a bit better.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
The issues about saddles are one, bit comfort, and two, aesthetics. I think there is no question that saddles are more comfortable, but to me they are an eyesore as I much prefer the look of a tapered stem. But I readily forgive the saddle in its dedication to comfort.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
Is Saddle Stem An Issue?
Sounds like an old west venereal disease... :laughat: :evil:
jay-roger.jpg

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
I find tapers more comfortable to clench. And I like the looks of them better. Usually. Nothing is 100% though. I'm actually working on getting about the exact same pipe in all 4 Canadian family shapes. From Kaywoodie. So I can directly compare round vs. oval shank and taper vs. saddle. Science demands it.

Jan 8, 2013
I like both saddle and tapered, depending on the pipe. Some pipes just look better with a tapered, while in some cases the saddle looks nicer. Take the Peterson XL90 for example. Most, if not all, now have a saddle stem. But some of the older models can be found with a tapered stem. I personally think the pipe looks best with the saddle stem. Yet, I've yet to find a straight billiard of any make or model that appeals to me with a saddle stem. These seem to always look better tapered.

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
Some pipes just look better with a tapered, while in some cases the saddle looks nicer.
From a functional standpoint I've never noticed a difference, but for aesthetics I feel it really depends on the pipe's overall look.
@crashthegrey
+1 on getting a set consisting of a Canadian, Lumberman, Lovat and a Liverpool!

bazungu

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 28, 2018
I'm actually working on getting about the exact same pipe in all 4 Canadian family shapes. From Kaywoodie. So I can directly compare round vs. oval shank and taper vs. saddle. Science demands it.
I am always amazed by the sacrifices pipe smokers are willing to make just for the greater good. I believe, every good scientific experiments needs at the very least a duplicate... if not a with another brand to confirm the kaywoodie data you have acquired can be extrapolated to pipes in general. Perhaps, I might be willing to take that burden upon me.

tavol

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 23, 2018
Aesthetically speaking I don't like saddle stems on straight pipes unless it's a lovat, which is my favourite pipe shape. I find saddle stems marginally more comfortable when clenching but not enough to put me off buying tapered stems.
The only stem I refuse to buy is a p-lip as I find them uncomfortable to clench and prone to irritating the roof of my mouth slightly.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
CrashtheGrey:Those timeless shapes You're planning on having are my favorite,they usually provide cool smokes,one advice to give,pay attention to weight and bowl sizes,next favorite shape of mine are straight billiards with moderate chamber size.

d4k23

Can't Leave
Mar 6, 2018
Texas
I have this small George Yale lovat with a saddle stem that clenches perfect. One of my favorite smokers!
And I agree with the tavol about p-lips, I have one I use for aros only, because I'm not a fan and don't smoke aros very often.

On my bulldogs, in classic proportions, I prefer the tapered. Having the bit of thickness just behind the button gives me a better fulcrum on my lips to keep the pipe held out straight when clenching. I do have a few saddles on bullies, but they aren't horrible, just like decimal points in comfort ratings. As for aesthetics, it just depends on the overall design.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Ehhh...if a pipe has a working stem on it, that's pretty much good enough for me. I rarely clench. Aesthetically, I prefer tapered to saddle on bents, but am not insistent upon it. With straight pipes I have no preference as to stem shape.

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
I don't much care for the appearance of saddle stems. That said, I have one pipe with a saddle stem, and I really like that pipe, both its appearance and how it smokes. I very rarely clench, so weight is a non-issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.