PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigsby

Lurker
Nov 20, 2014
I was wondering if it is allright to use regular wood stain on a new pipe, I have seen many use a leather stain or even mix thier own with a powder. Havent figured out why a regular wood stain wouldn't be the preferred method since most/all of the stained pipes are in fact wood. I wouldn't be asking if I had some leather dye or powder, but I do have a couple of cans of wood stain on hand that I was gonna use so was just being cautious, thanks.......

drwatson

Lifer
Aug 3, 2010
toledo
Short answer NO! Don't use it. Stain like Minwax have oils in their that you do not want on your pipe. Leather stain Just works so much better for over the counter stain. I think there are acouple places/pipe makers who can even sell some stain to you if you ask.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
bigsby:
I agree heartily with drwatson; leather dye is the ticket. Check your local shoe-repair shop for the Fiebing's brand (Fiebing's Leather Dye).
Natural-finished pipes are not dyed. Light tan suits most brown finishes; maroon for ones like Dunhill Bruyere; and a mixture of maroon, black, and navy (you will have to experiment with the proportions of each for the best color match) for Dunhill Shell finishes. I typically cut the dye with Everclear grain alcohol: 3 parts dye to one part Everclear. When doing this exercise caution, as the mixture is highly flammable! Also, a little dye goes a long way.
Experimentation on old worthless pipes is STRONGLY encouraged before you tackle your best briars.
I hope that you find this information to be helpful.

bigsby

Lurker
Nov 20, 2014
Thanks hunter, I am leaning twords just going natural since this being my first pipe and have yet to ever smoke one, I had better make sure I like it before worrying about a stain, and besides, it doesn't look too bad as is, but I can see that a nice buffed wax would help it. On that note, would I be a fool to try and use paste wax(got some on hand) or is it very important to get the carnuba?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
You're right to get the advice of experienced pipe carvers about the stain you use on a pipe.

You don't want toxic volatiles gassing off from the briar as it heats up, which is what can happen

if you use the wrong stain, other finish, or cleaners on your pipes. Better to use nothing than the

wrong thing, for sure.

david555

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 15, 2014
I agree, leather dye is the only thing I would use. Fiebing's is relatively inexpensive and they make a large variety of colors to experiment with. I'm sure there are other brands out there, but I only have experience with Fiebing's and their product has worked well for the small amount of tinkering that I have attempted.

Have fun and show us some pictures!

pryan215

Lurker
Jan 10, 2015
philly, pa
Like everyone else said what you are looking for is dye not stain. Woodcraft.Com has a bunch of dyes both water based and alcohol based.both are good.

literaryworkshop

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 10, 2014
Mobile, AL
Late to the party here, but FWIW: The Minwax stains you can get at the hardware store aren't even all that good for regular wood. I've tried using a few, and the results on regular wood have always been meh. You're much better off with an alcohol-based dye, such as what Fiebings offers. You can get the stuff on Amazon for a few bucks. A little bit goes a long way.
I've also had some success using a water-based aniline dye, on both regular woods and briar. But the leather dye comes pre-mixed and ready to apply.
Let me reiterate some of what's been said above. You should know that most pipe makers will put at least two different coats of dye on a pipe. They put on a dark coat (often dark brown or black) and let it dry. Then they sand it back and apply a lighter color. After sanding back again and/or buffing, they'll apply a clear coat, usually oil and wax. That's how they get the contrasting colors on the grain to pop visually.
Once you dye your pipe, you will want to re-coat it with some finish. It's best to put a coat of Danish oil or some other drying oil on first, wipe and let it dry thoroughly. Then apply wax. If you go straight from the dye to the wax, you'll sometimes find the dye coming off on your hands sometimes as you smoke the pipe. The hot pipe will make the dye bleed right through the wax. The oil coat seals the color in.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
Regarding the use of Fiebing's Leather Dyes, as noted in my post above I cut mine with Everclear 190-proof grain alcohol. After applying I "burn-in" the dye using a butane lighter. (Use EXTREME caution when doing this, as the mixture is highly flammable!) By doing this I have never had a problem with subsequent dye-bleed.

claude79

Lurker
Mar 10, 2019
I partially like red and orange Fiebings Leather Dyes...Beware the orange is not as orange as I saw on Mastro de Paja's Youtube creation........I added 1/2 bottle of Fiebings Yellow plus a bottle of Jacquard's Yellow (powder) Acid Dye....The bottle is small).....Now it's about right(to me)

Status
Not open for further replies.