Tags:  No tags yet. 

Is Pipe Smoking Changing?

(94 posts)
  • Started 4 months ago by trouttimes
  • Latest reply from Embers
  1. trouttimes

trouttimes

Login to Send PM

For years I just grabbed a pipe and whatever pouch was close and off I went. Little if any thought give to choice or the experience. It the last few years, I have started paying a lot more attention to pipe selection, rotation, etc as well as tabacco selection and the overall experience. I wonder if I am being influenced by the internet and groups such as this? Am I becoming more educated in the study of the art of the flame or has pipe smoking changed? What say yea?

“The Road goes ever on and on Down from the door where it began.
    Now far ahead the Road has gone, I must follow if I can
    Posted 4 months ago #
  2. ashdigger

ashdigger

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It's the internet.

My grandfather's rotation was 3 or 4 pipes. He smoked them until they crapped out and tossed it in the garbage. He smoked two blends.

I have over 70 pipes and 40 blends. Times change.

Ubi Ignis Est?
    Posted 4 months ago #
  3. bassbug

bassbug

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Pipe smoking does not change...pipe smokers do change.

At the end of the day, we all do what makes us happy. More than that, if what makes us happy changes over time that's not a bad thing.

I don't care who you are, you're not walking on the water while I'm fishing
    Posted 4 months ago #
  4. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Most of the pipesmokers in my area just have one pipe and a favorite OTC. They don't engage me in conversation about pipes nor tobaccos, because they could care less. It seems to hurt them painfully to discuss such things. They just smoke, and that suits them just fine. This was also how men I knew growing up that smoked pipes were. You could give them a humidor for their tobacco or a new pipe rest, but they'd just smoke one pipe till it was dead and then toss it in the fireplace.
    So, I don't think it's weird at all. In fact, the conversations about pipes and tobaccos that we engage in on here is probably weirder and wayyyy more nerdy.

As far as has it changed... There were always pipe nerds. It was just that men who had a whole lot more money could afford to be nerdy. My Lady Nicotine by JM Barrie proves that at least some were as nerdy as us back in the 19th c.

Michael
    Posted 4 months ago #
  5. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Russ O. pointed out that more than 90% of tobacco sales are aromatics. I'd guess that much of that is pouch and tub tobacco, and that most pipe smokers aren't deeply steeped in pipe smoking lore and knowhow. Forums members are the part of the tobacco pipe community that makes a hobby and study of it. We're not typical, and we don't drive the industry, though we may have outsized influence because we generate chatter and opinion. But the industry is driven by over-the-counter brands and people who own a pipe or three, and just enjoy the activity for itself without a lot of social engagement. Or that's my semi-informed take on it. I'm not dissing aromatics; I enjoy them, but aros are also widely popular.

Posted 4 months ago #
  6. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

MSO, and with that, it is easy to say that forums are made up mostly of the small percentage of folks that overthought things so much that they needed help putting the tobacco into the tool and smoking it, which the greater proportion of pipesmokers never seemed to think was all that hard, ha ha.

Posted 4 months ago #
  7. trouttimes

trouttimes

Login to Send PM

So...you are saying I'm becoming a nerd?

Posted 4 months ago #
  8. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

"becoming?" Ha ha

Posted 4 months ago #
  9. bassbug

bassbug

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Most everyone is a nerd in some area of interest.

Some people just NEED to know and practice the whys and wherefors, some people don't.

I'm a nerd when it comes to my woodcarving tools, some are nerds when it comes to pipe smoking.

Nothing wrong with either one

Posted 4 months ago #
  10. carolinachurchwarden

carolinachurchwarden

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm not sure. I knew pipe smokers that smoked one pipe and one blend until the pipe took a shit and they replaced it.

I prefer variety. Why limit yourself to one thing when you can have many more options? Of course, those pipe smokers I knew, smoked because they smoked, not really to enjoy the flavors and try different flavors like a lot of us do today.

It's like going to a bar that has 150+ beers to choose from and I like choosing something different all along, but there always will be those people who choose the same thing, everytime, even if it's the same thing they can get at the place with 2 choices.

"If you can't send money, send tobacco." - George Washington

Posted 4 months ago #
  11. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

The best thing you can do for the sake of your life is to sign out of here and run like hell. Being around forums has cost me a fortune. I was collecting pipes long before the Internet was available to the general population, and pipe collecting isn't anything new. It wasn't common, but it also wasn't something new. On the other hand, tobacco collecting wasn't something that anyone did and few people cellared tobaccos. Cyberspace has definitely contributed to the plague of tobacco collecting and its various mutations.

There were more pipes smokers to misinform each other back then so we didn't need the Internet to spread misinformation. It took more effort and more time. Thanks to various fora we can spread misinformation like wildfire without breaking a sweat. And if you're illiterate, you can get your misinformation via videos.

So sign out, take a mallet to your computer or smartphone, then grab a pipe and a pouch of something, and relax.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

It is pointless to argue with a fanatic since a dim bulb can't be converted into a searchlight. - Jesse Silver
    Posted 4 months ago #
  12. ray47

ray47

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Sure pipe smoking is changing. It has been changing since the first pipe was ever lit and it has changed for the better ever since.

Posted 4 months ago #
  13. rmpeeps

rmpeeps

Login to Send PM

Here you go Sable...

You make yourself a fortune, out in Hong Kong
    You sit at home and wonder whether you were wrong
    You take a small vacation just to keep sane
    You find on your return your home has blown away
    You meditate, you make haste
    You run a risk, you come late,
    You pay a bill, you lose face
    You're not fully unaware
    Your star or your fate
    If you fall do you break
    You go to war, you make love
    You sign out in a box

~Woke Up Laughing by Robert Palmer

Posted 4 months ago #
  14. hoosierpipeguy

hoosierpipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The internet and social media has changed everything. WalMart put many local B&M retailers out of business. Now Amazon is hurting WalMart. The people I grew up around smoked one pipe all day long filled with the same blend until it burnt out. Toss it in the trash can, buy another. I remember my neighbor smoked one of those Carey Magic Inch pipes. Threw away that magic inch filter promptly. I'm not sure he removed his pipe when he took a shower.

There's something to be said about "ignorance is bliss". If you lived in a smaller, rural area, your pipe source was the grocery, pharmacy or gas station in all likelihood. Your choices were Sir Walter Raleigh, Carter Hall and perhaps a couple of others. I'd never seen a dedicated tobacco shop until I was around 24 years old and encountered one in a mall in Schaumburg, IL.

Now, within a few minutes, I can access hundreds if not thousands of pipe tobacco blends and a near equal number of pipe choices, make my choices, enter a credit card number and in a few days a package shows up.

Of course pipe smoking has changed. Unfortunately, I think the changes going on currently and into the future may not be for the better.

Posted 4 months ago #
  15. User has not uploaded an avatar

mau1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

On the topic of nerdy pipe smokers, how many of you run around with a butterfly net catching specimens for your collection??? Come on, admit it. We know you're out there.

“I've been treating you with courtesy and respect because that's the way I choose to treat everyone. But never, ever mistake kindness with weakness.”
    ― Louise Penny, Still Life
    Posted 4 months ago #
  16. paulie66scandinavian

Paul

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

+ 1 for SableBrush,sounds so familiar,lol but we live once don't we?
    Anyway nerd or not, in my Youth when I was paying a visit in one or two of our family relatives I recall seeing in both those places pipe racks with some pipes out there,and now as I remember,all those pipe seemed to have oxidized in some degree yet were heavily caked with somewhat charred bowl rims.I suspect back in the days,on average,pipesmokers did not pay that much attention to them pipes as we are doing today,even if those pipes may have been higher end ones'

Paul The Scandinavian'
    Posted 4 months ago #
  17. unadoptedlamp

unadoptedlamp

Login to Send PM

I don't know what the rest of you are going to do, but I'm taking Sable's advice.

So long and good luck chumps fellow pipers! You guys are a bunch of lunatics and I'm outta here.

Sometimes, Sable, you have a well placed line that really strikes a chord. You are perfectly correct, you brilliant, beautiful bastard! What in the fuck am I doing with my time?

I suspect you're probably nuttier than bat-shit too, but thanks all the same! I'd kiss you on both cheeks if I saw you in person, but hopefully you can accept this digital gratitude. It's genuine.

Bon voyage!

Posted 4 months ago #
  18. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

If you hang out at sites like this long enough, you will have 50 plus pipes and at least a hundred pounds of tobacco. We are the enablers of the pipe world. Retailers like Smokingpipes and others are the smart companies by advertising here. They know we are junkies with little self control. It always amazes me at how many companies do not advertise here, they are so missing the boat.

Harris
    Posted 4 months ago #
  19. chasingembers

Embers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

I've found myself growing in the opposite direction over the past year or so. I spend more time smoking two or three pipes and as many blends when just a few years ago I was all over the map with both piped and blends.

Damnation seize my soul if I give you quarters, or take any from you.
    -Edward Teach
    Posted 4 months ago #
  20. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Jesse nutty? Not in my experience. Direct? Unabashed? Insightful? Witty? Yeah.

I hope you'll post from time to time, Mr. Lamp, between restful smokes.

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 4 months ago #
  21. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've found myself growing in the opposite direction over the past year or so. I spend more time smoking two or three pipes and as many blends when just a few years ago I was all over the map with both piped and blends.

Same. Sometimes less is "more".

Posted 4 months ago #
  22. mikethompson

mikethompson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I am kind of with Embers as well, I have a few blends I like and I'm happy if that's all I will ever have. I have a very modest collection of pipes and I when I get a new pipe, an old one goes away.

But I started a similar thread a while ago asking whether we really have it better now than say 40 or 50 years ago, and it was a resounding 'yes', both in terms of what's available to us, and sharing information.

Posted 4 months ago #
  23. tulsagentleman

tulsagentleman

Login to Send PM

I started smoking a pipe when I was in college in about 1960. I had two briar pipes I bought at the drugstore and smoked Half & Half. Sometime later I discovered Borkum Riff and thought it was exotic. That was my go-to tobacco for a long time. Then I quit. Then I started smoking cigars, now I'm back on pipes and with the advent of the internet have acquired too many pipes and have too many varieties of tobacco. I think I will sell all my pipes but a couple of favorites and go back to H&H.

Posted 4 months ago #
  24. brian64

brian64

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

You can log out anytime you like, but you can never leave.

“Bipartisan usually means some larger-than-usual deception is being carried out.” – George Carlin
    Posted 4 months ago #
  25. bassbug

bassbug

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I guess that if you can be so easily influenced by a bunch of strangers on the internet, this isn't the place for you.

Posted 4 months ago #
  26. trubka2

trubka2

Login to Send PM

Ah, yes, the overthinking of overthinking. Just when I was starting to think that all that stuff about the meditative state induced by pipe smoking is a bunch of BS.

Posted 4 months ago #
  27. irishearl

irishearl

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

lamp, what, you don't think hanging out here while you're at work beats actual working at work? Heck, even after I retire in 3 weeks I plan to hang out here. As to blends, have always only kept 2 on hand at a time. I do like having the # and variety of pipes I currently have which gives me a regular rotation of 10 or so evening pipes, 9-10 noon pipes, about 14 breakfast pipes and about 8 afternoon pipes on the weekends- I always smoke after every meal and on week-ends I throw in a mid-afternoon pipe session.

Posted 4 months ago #
  28. mityahicks

mityahicks

Login to Send PM

I'm not entirely sure all has changed. My grandfather died sever years ago at 93 and he held onto his modest pipe collection of around 20 pipes in varying condition. The man had not used these pipes in more than 50 years as his Doc made him quit, but he held onto those pipes. They must have been meaningful to him, because he didn't horde anything and got rid of most of his possessions before his final days. No fire pit for that old timer.

Posted 4 months ago #
  29. olkofri

Olkofri

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

"Less is a bore."
    —Robert Venturi

Not the sweet, new grass with flowers is this harvesting of mine;
    Not the upland clover bloom...
    Posted 4 months ago #
  30. User has not uploaded an avatar

bullet08

Login to Send PM

and i was happy with marlboro red and a pint of Guinness.

Posted 4 months ago #
  31. kola

kola

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have 3-4 pipes I use (3 fantastic older Petes, 303 spigots and a great smoking spiral Boswell) That's it. I smoke the same 5 or 6 blends regularly and every now and then I grab out for a change-up blend.

I've changed, not sure about the rest. I'm going back to my roots and stopped chasing for the the Holy Grail blend/s.

I treat people the way they treat me. It's that simple.
    Posted 4 months ago #
  32. milehighpiper

milehighpiper

Login to Send PM

As a fairly new pipe smoker I don't know much about the "changes" that have taken place. I have to admit that I enjoy having the availability of pipes, the ease of buying a handful of new blends and yes I sometimes enjoy this forum. I can imagine a time where catalogs were the closest thing to the internet and I respect that. However, I think I live in a great time for pipe smoking.

I enjoy every chance I get to relax with a pipe in hand and wouldn't have it any other way!

Posted 4 months ago #
  33. tjsgarden

tjsgarden

Login to Send PM

Sometimes I get frustrated. I have smoked a pipe on and off since the early 70's. After dozens of pipes and an untold amount of 'fancy' tobaccos, now I often enjoy MM cobs and am smoking Mixture #79 for the first time as I write. It is like coming full circle back to the naive, simplistic enjoyment of tobacco.

John
    "Two wrongs don't make a right."
    Posted 4 months ago #
  34. admin

Kevin Godbee

Smoking a Pipe Right Now

Login to Send PM

You are now in our power ... mwahahaha!

The members of this forum are a subset of pipe smokers - a niche within the niche.

When someone asks me what I do, and I try to explain this place to them, I compare it to wine connoisseurs.

There are casual wine drinkers - which is most people - and then there are the serious wine hobbyists - that collect wine (like we collect pipes) and have wine cellars (like we have tobacco cellars).

This is not so new.

This website recently turned 10, and the discussion are not too different now than they were in 2009.

Check Out Our - Pipes Podcast
    Posted 4 months ago #
  35. User has not uploaded an avatar

instymp

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

"I've found myself growing in the opposite direction over the past year or so. I spend more time smoking two or three pipes and as many blends when just a few years ago I was all over the map with both piped and blends."

"Same. Sometimes less is "more"."

Amen

Posted 4 months ago #
  36. trouttimes

trouttimes

Login to Send PM

Well said Kevin.

Posted 4 months ago #
  37. judcasper

judcasper

Login to Send PM

For years I just grabbed a pipe and whatever pouch was close and off I went. Little if any thought give to choice or the experience.

Well, all I can say is that despite being a pipe smoker for less than 6 months, the above quote describes me perfectly. If habits are changing I certainly haven't picked up on them.

To be perfectly honest I put no store whatsoever in all this talk about pipe/tobacco rotation, and certain pipes for certain tobaccos. I'm not even a great believer in 'breaking' a pipe in. Just get the damn stuff in there and light it!

Posted 4 months ago #
  38. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Judcasper, we've had members that do that, and all are welcome here, but after a while you will start asking yourself why you are here... because talking about your one pipe and one tobacco will start to get old. Lets hope that you can string the conversation about that pipe and tobacco out as long as you can.

Posted 4 months ago #
  39. bassbug

bassbug

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

cosmic has a point but I'll add one proviso.

If indeed one is interested in TALKING about pipes and tobacco, it helps if they have something new to talk about once in a while. If one prefers to pick up a tip here and there, stay current on the "industry" and maybe try something new once in a while there's no need for soul searching

Posted 4 months ago #
  40. judcasper

judcasper

Login to Send PM

Well, you've both misinterpreted my post grossly. I didn't say, or even suggest, I smoke just the one pipe and one tobacco. All I said is that I don't pay any attention to rotation or tobacco/pipe choice.

Posted 4 months ago #
  41. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Oh good, I was afraid that you were going to be one of those guys who constantly tells us how stupid we are for talking about stuff that you don't care to read, ha ha. We've had them.

Posted 4 months ago #
  42. judcasper

judcasper

Login to Send PM

Oh good, I was afraid that you were going to be one of those guys who constantly tells us how stupid we are for talking about stuff that you don't care to read, ha ha. We've had them.

I'd be a fool to make such suggestions

My post may have seemed dismissive about certain views and opinions, but that's not to say I'm arguing they're wrong - simply that they're not something I personally put any belief in.

Posted 4 months ago #
  43. mikethompson

mikethompson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

This website recently turned 10, and the discussion are not too different now than they were in 2009

I don't know if this is a good thing or a bad thing.

Posted 4 months ago #
  44. brian64

brian64

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

We are all just prisoners here, of our own device.

Posted 4 months ago #
  45. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

And in the master's chambers,
    They gathered for the feast
    They stab it with their steely knives,
    But they just can't kill the beast

Posted 4 months ago #
  46. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I bet that ten years ago, guys didn't discuss washing their pipes out with water after each smoke.

Posted 4 months ago #
  47. paulie66scandinavian

Paul

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Year or two ago I Couldn't believe that this forum has become a part of my daily life, but at least, something good, I can keep practicing further my literary English here,lol,

Posted 4 months ago #
  48. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Bada-bing! They just said, "Fahgedddddaboudddddittt".

Posted 4 months ago #
  49. crashthegrey

crashthegrey

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I think pipe smoking changes slowly over time. I think we are led to believe that there is more change because we are the knowledge seekers delving deeper. This forum is dangerous for the wallet but great for the brain.

Posted 4 months ago #
  50. trouttimes

trouttimes

Login to Send PM

Much truth Crash!

Posted 4 months ago #
  51. brian64

brian64

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I bet that ten years ago, guys didn't discuss washing their pipes out with water after each smoke.

Legend has it someone got banned for that back then. Things have really gotten lax around here.

Posted 4 months ago #
  52. seldom

seldom

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Whether the process of smoking a pipe, choosing tobacco and etc changes may be more an individual thing than a collective one. For many people pipe smoking invokes a sense of nostalgia which may delay any major changes.

As far as the world goes I think, but don't know, that there are fewer and fewer pipe smokers with every passing decade. The current paucity of pipe smokers in public is a major change from periods of time when pipe smoking was commonplace.

Seldom Seen
    Posted 4 months ago #
  53. 5star

5star

Login to Send PM

I think one thing the Internet has brought us is a means to access the knowledge of passionate enthusiasts in many various subject areas. Pick any hobby and there will be those who give it much more focus than the average consumer of that product. There are also degrees to which one can be involved. For example, after years of spending too much money on multi blade mediocre performing disposable shaving cartridges & being dissatisfied with electric razors- I did some research on wet shaving forums. I’ve been shaving with a double edge razor for some years now & am happy with the results. I found what works for me and need nothing else. In contrast, there are guys who collect razors and know all the history and characteristics of blades, razors, soaps, creams, brushes, etc.

I suspect the same elements come into play with pipesmoking.

"You are remembered for the rules you break." - General Douglas MacArthur
    Posted 4 months ago #
  54. ophiuchus

ophiuchus

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

-Are you kidding? This is a dead horse that gets dragged out and beat up every ten Christmases or so ...

Posted 4 months ago #
  55. chasingembers

Embers

Login to Send PM

In contrast, there are guys who collect razors and know all the history and characteristics of blades, razors, soaps, creams, brushes, etc.

Now that's just crazy talk.

Posted 4 months ago #
  56. bassbug

bassbug

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yup, just plain crazy

Posted 4 months ago #
  57. chasingembers

Embers

Login to Send PM

Posted 4 months ago #
  58. trouttimes

trouttimes

Login to Send PM

Ember, Bassbug...that's just crazy! You could forget what you were doing and cut yourself badly. No, No, No.

Posted 4 months ago #
  59. brian64

brian64

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Obviously those dangerous blades cannot be left unregulated. Hard to believe the general public is allowed access to such barbarous items. Something must be done.

Posted 4 months ago #
  60. chasingembers

Embers

Login to Send PM

Ember, Bassbug...that's just crazy! You could forget what you were doing and cut yourself badly. No, No, No.

I've actually suffered worse from an unnoticed hole in the screen of an electric. Been wet shaving since I was 16, and couldn't be more satisfied. After seeing how expensive cartridges are now, no way I would go back! The straight razor at the top of my pic is over 200 years old with buffalo handles.

Posted 4 months ago #
  61. chasingembers

Embers

Login to Send PM

Obviously those dangerous blades cannot be left unregulated. Hard to believe the general public is allowed access to such barbarous items. Something must be done.

Indeed. I must buy more up to protect the innocent.

Posted 4 months ago #
  62. bassbug

bassbug

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

You could forget what you were doing and cut yourself badly

I've nicked myself with a straight razor exactly one time. It just happened to be the first time I used a straight razor.

embers...favorite shaving soap?

Posted 4 months ago #
  63. chasingembers

Embers

Login to Send PM

embers...favorite shaving soap?

I use Dr. Jon's a lot, but I love Mitchell's Wool Fat Soap.

Posted 4 months ago #
  64. 5star

5star

Login to Send PM

One time, quite a few years ago, I went to a drug store to pick up some more disposable razor cartridges. They were displayed in a locked case. - - - That is what is called a ‘clue’.

I researched double edged razors and soon switched after that.

Posted 4 months ago #
  65. irishearl

irishearl

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

5star, I know what you mean re the expense of razor cartridges. That's why I buy bags of dirt cheap Walmart brand disposable razors-more affordable option for me. Though certainly have mixed feelings about the extra mass of plastic that will have to head to the landfill later. Think if I were younger, I'd consider safety razors due to this. But am an old enough dog that am not interested in changing at this point.

Posted 4 months ago #
  66. 5star

5star

Login to Send PM

I got a Much cheaper & much better/closer shave when I switched to a double edge. There’s a little bit of a learning curve to start out, but not too bad.

Posted 4 months ago #
  67. tulsagentleman

tulsagentleman

Login to Send PM

My solution to shaving is to have a beard. The last time I shaved my chin was in 1977. I trim it and shave my neck when I shower but that's it. Solves my razor problem.

Posted 4 months ago #
  68. brian64

brian64

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The last time I shaved my chin was in 1977.

Posted 4 months ago #
  69. didimauw

didimauw

Mod

Login to Send PM

I only switch blends just so I have something else to talk about. Mainly cause I have no friends. Lol

And I would probably only have one pipe and blend if it weren't for this forum.

But my eyes have opened to those things and I consider it a good thing.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
    Posted 4 months ago #
  70. brian64

brian64

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Anytime of year, you can find it here.

Posted 4 months ago #

Reply »

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   jaytex969, paulfg, cortezattic, cshubhra, pitchfork, georged, agnosticpipe, malicev, railman, sumusfumus, jerrynyc, catyrpelius, jiminks, olkofri, warren, ssjones