PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I'm a frequent visitor to our B&M and I see a lot of younger guys coming in to buy their first pipes and tobaccos. I noticed an uptick over the past couple of years si I'd say that the hobby is getting more newer pipers and that's a good thing for all of us.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Most people smoke out of public view. I think pipe smoking's popularity would have to be evaluated by

sales figures on pipe and pipe tobacco, and this tends to be proprietary to manufacturers who

generate the figures at some expense. From online retail, I'd say things were going pretty well.

Various of the sites for Forums sponsors seem to be expanding inventories, and specific pipes seem

to be moving pretty well. I'll watch a particular pipe, thinking it is not selling, and bam, it will crop

up with a SOLD sign, or disappear altogether. Also, tobaccos go out of stock regularly. It feels like

purchases are increasing at a steady, if not head-spinning, clip.

rmason

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 27, 2013
Same as you mso489, I keep going to my B&M thinking that I will either get a certain bulk, tin or pipe, and poof it's gone. I know there must be others, but I have yet to see them.

~Ron

txbeerboy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 5, 2013
The internet is the thing that is going to help bring back the pipe. It is because of you guys I am smoking some wonderful pirate kake right now. In the 80's & early 90's this would not have been possible around here. There are no B&M places. I read about the tobacco and where to find it reading what you guys have been writing on these forums and tobacco reviews. My uncle smoked some cherry blend for many many years and I wonder if it is because they could smoke only the tobacco sold at the supermarket or drug store.

pjhicks

Lurker
Nov 16, 2010
I don't see any evidence of a resurgence in my daily travels but obviously it is trending at pipe shows and on the net.

kanaia

Feb 3, 2013
I can assure you all that there is a big movement of young men picking up the pipe. I believe it is called the "hipster" movement. At least that is what my 24 year old son tells me.

rmason

Jan 27, 2013
Kanaia, you should be very afraid of the hipster moving toward pipe smoking, these people will take it and try to make it their own, while doing it wrong and puffing like a freight trains. They do make me very sick and afraid for the passion that is pipe smoking.

~Ron

rmason

Jan 27, 2013
Pylorns, it is bad if you are young, people will assume you are a hipster and don't care about the hobby. It make smoking in public a thousand times more annoying.

~Ron

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
I think so, when I started several years ago I didn't know anyone else, save my step-grandfather's brother-in-law, who smoked a pipe. I now know of at least three of my friends from work who are fellow puffers, as well as my Uncle Terry, who took it up not long after I did.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I think a lot of cigarette smokers have turned to the pipe, possibly even cigar smokers -- for economics, if not health.

Not to worry about youth fad movements though, since tongue bite has a way of discouraging kids who aren't serious about

learning proper techniques. I have contributed to the up-tick in sales lately because of the impending tax increases and

taxation of internet sales. I think vendors should make hay while the sun shines, because there's a red moon on the rise.

flakyjakey

Lifer
Aug 21, 2013
My son, 23, for the first time a couple of weeks ago took an interest in my pipe collection, mostly quizzing me on their value lol. But then a couple of nights ago when I lit up after dinner he asked if he could smoke one. I told him to pick one out. He picked out a Preben Holm because of its looks! I filled the bowl with the nice light Dunhill's My Mixture 965 and he did okay for about 10 mins.
I have never encouraged him, but he's definitely interested. I bet he starts. He has a lot of friends of the same age - maybe there'll be a virus effect? LOL

smokeybear

Lifer
Dec 21, 2012
Brampton,Ontario,Canada
I've only been at it for a little less than a year and I myself converted at least 5-6 people into pipe smokers by giving them pipes and tobacco of there own. I like to think I'm helping the hobby by doing this. Also I'm picking and choosing who I want to enjoy my pipe smoking hobby with. I would encourage you all if you have a good friend that isn't smoking pipe right now buy one and bag some blends and tell them to try it. Who knows you might have a pipe smoking buddy who was a buddy to begin with.

flakyjakey

Lifer
Aug 21, 2013
Yes, smokeybear. I don't want to push my son but if he continues to show interest I'll give him the Preben Holm, some easy-smoking tobacco and show him how to smoke properly. Then all his pals will want to follow suit!

str8musicman

Lurker
Sep 3, 2013
Los Angeles
I don't really know the definition of young, but I've been smoking a pipe since my mid 20s. And by that I mean regular,I first attempted at 19 but couldn't afford my apartment let alone this hobby. I'm 33 now and with my tattoos long hair and piercings get plenty of funny looks smoking my pipes. My favorite is when I walk into a pipe shop where they don't know me yet and get all wide eyed when they realize I'm a legitimate pipeman. I thank my grandfather for this hobby, bottom line I think most of us had a dad or grandad who got our interest. So as long as there are people like us, our youngsters will take interest.

Status
Not open for further replies.