PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

majorpiper

Lurker
Jun 4, 2017
I tried pipe smoking about 2 weeks ago for the first time and the pipe I used was stolen the same day. I have been looking through different websites searching for another pipe and it has been extremely overwhelming because I couldn't tell what is a good pipe or good price. Anyways I ended up buying 3 pipes today on eBay for about $140. Link to all 3 will be added below. Can you knowledgeable fellas help this novice/rookie out? Thanks!
https://www.ebay.com/itm/361431573238

https://www.ebay.com/itm/361887275994

https://www.ebay.com/itm/361810327373

majorpiper

Lurker
Jun 4, 2017
Well thanks for reaching out. If you think they are bad or not worth the price, I can return them or cancel the order. They haven't been shipped out yet. Thanks all the same.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
majorpiper, welcome aboard. I'll second warren's advice, which is about all you can do now. If any of these pipes don't work out, you might see about returning them, or any that aren't satisfactory. I would have started you out with maybe two Missouri Meerschaum corn cob pipes, which are easy to smoke and easy to like, and a new name brand lower-priced briar like a Rossi made by Savenelli, or a Nording, or Stanwell or other similar pipe at the low price end of those brands. I like new name brand pipes for new pipe smokers because they are dependable and you aren't starting out with a pipe affected by someone else's habits. Estate (used) pipes are good, but I think some experience increases chances of success both in buying and smoking them. I say all this as a back-up plan in case none of these pipes work out well. Nonetheless, good luck; all three may be fine.

majorpiper

Lurker
Jun 4, 2017
Thanks fellas. Wish I did my due diligence before buying but then now again, I just discovered this great forum. Im a bit of a germaphobe, I don't know how I would feel about smoking out of the pipe someone else smoked out of but I'm ready for the experience haha. I'm learning from every comment you guys left. Thanks again, very well appreciated!!!

dread

Lifer
Jun 19, 2013
Price is fine, you have a good rotation. Don't worry about germs - that dealer is good to go. If it is a concern, clean it with high proof alcohol and it will be sanitized.

Jan 8, 2013
If you like them and they smoke well (this depends on the smoker's technique as much as the pipe itself) then it doesn't really matter how much you paid for them. That being said, you CAN find a decent name brand pipe at around the same price you paid for those pipes. Bjarne Viking pipes begin at about 60 dollars. I have one, and it's a good little pipe. Cup 'O Joes has a pretty good selection of them http://www.cupojoes.com/pipes/viking/
I would say keep the pipes you ordered. They could turn out to be good smokers, which is the most important thing, and when you decide to order another (and you will) Bjarne Viking pipes may be a good option.

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
The Cellini gets great reviews from some of the folks here and can sell for less in unrestored/uncleaned condition to 2X as much or more (see smokingpipes). The first pipe fits this description found on another forum " It is a Paul's Cayuga from Paul's Pipe Shop and is stamped as such: "Paul's Cayuga Oil Cured". When I was looking at it before buying it, I also noticed stampings of "Natural Grain Algerian Briar" and "Made in France" on the shank. The star logo is on the left side of the stem. I found this confusing since I know that Paul's is turning bowls in the basement for Cayugas. I asked Dan Spaniola (owner since Paul passed away) about it. He told me that before they had the machinery, Paul would order pipe parts from Europe and then do the assembly and oil curing in the shop." The Amadeus gets mixed reviews.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
I know nothing of the pipes other than they all look pretty good. I did think the seller should be awarded a medal for his ability to waffle on about a pipe though :puffy:
Regards,
Jay.

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
I agree on the waffling, Jay. Woof.
To the OP..that Celini is a filtered pipe so if you want to use a filter make sure you buy 9mm. I recommend the Savinelli balsa variety.

markus

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 18, 2014
Bloomfield, IN
There are many pipe makers (Stanwell, Big Ben, Rossi, Savinelli, etc.) that make good new pipes within the price range of what you spent and they would most likely smoke at least as good as those you bought.

I probably would have steered you more in that direction.

As stated above, cobs are also a good choice for beginners.

Those pipes will probably do well for you though, Good luck with them and happy smoking!

phantomwolf

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 14, 2017
Pittsburgh, PA
"Everything is worth what it's purchaser will pay for it" -Publilius Syrus
They look nice at least. If they do not smoke well, they'll look good on a mantle.

majorpiper

Lurker
Jun 4, 2017
Thanks for all these knowledge fellas. I'm glad i stumbled across this wonderful forum. All inputs are greatly appreciated. Additional input is welcome as well.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I think you did all right. I personally don't like visible fills (and not a fan of hidden ones, either!) This pipe has plenty! But it should not affect how the pipe smokes in most cases.
Enjoy!
s-l1600.jpg

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
And for tips? Dry your tobacco plenty before loading. That way, fewer problems with relights, better smoke, and packing techniques take a far back seat.

Status
Not open for further replies.