PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

augusto

Lurker
Feb 7, 2014
São Paulo - Brazil
Hi everyone! It may be a strange question, but there is no Oxyclean here in Brazil. For what I researched, it has the same formula as Vanish, a product available in here. I didn‘t use it because I am afraid of leaving some scent or funny taste in the vulcanite stem.

gmwolford

Lifer
Jul 26, 2012
WV, USA
The way I use it, after soaking the stem it gets washed well with dish soap and then cleaned with 91% alcohol so there's not residue. As far as it being scented, I don't believe it is.

augusto

Lurker
Feb 7, 2014
São Paulo - Brazil
Thanks Greg! I will look for another cleaner in the supermarket... this Vanish stuff is for clothes, so it is scented. Or I will give a try to the oxiclean homemade recipe.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
Based on the Oxiclean.com Web site, OxiClean does contain fragrance. (The label says zero about the contents.) However, they make OxiClean Free, which is free of fragrance and dyes.
Bob

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Hey there, I'm in the same boat as Greg. I use oxyclean for lifting oxidation on and loosening shmegma from inside the stem. But after a short soak in an oxy bath, the stem is rinsed thoroughly, wet and dry sanded with 0000 steel wool and/or micromesh, and the airway is cleaned with 99% isopropyl alcohol. Oxyclean is mildly scented with prototypical "soap" fragrance; but none of that remains when I'm done with a clean up.
Cheers,
-- Pat

mikenac

Lurker
Jan 19, 2014
If you can find it, purchase a product called PBW (powdered brew wash), used for cleaning home brewing equipment. It is basically oxiclean, but contains no scent.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Common bleach can be used also and in my opinion work better than Oxyclean. I dilute about 4 water to 1 bleach. Any metal parts must be protected with a good coat of Vaseline--petroleum jelly. Rinse thoroughly with warm water and soap.

augusto

Lurker
Feb 7, 2014
São Paulo - Brazil
Thanks for all the responses!
I couldn't find any of the other items you guys pointed, but I found another version of Vanish that is non-scented! It's called Vanish poder 02 crystal white (for the brazilians out there). I will see if it works when I start working on 2 estate pipes that I bought, and let you know!

Status
Not open for further replies.