PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

zonomo

Lifer
Nov 24, 2012
I've seen a lot of the Old Boy style lighters. In fact, I have one a Tsubota Pearl Eddie and I really love it. Is Old Boy the original and everyone else is a knock off? Of these styles, which one appears to be the best? I see one from Xikar that looks pretty interesting and of couse, they come with a life time warranty. Thanks.

zonomo

Lifer
Nov 24, 2012
Thanks. Interesting. The current Dunhill Unique's are spendy. $300+ at eLighters.

May 31, 2012
A lighter we don't see over here much is the Sarome PSD12, it's totally cool. I have an old one but its gotta leaky valve -- I do actually have a good functioning example & I use it alot, but it's labeled as a Colibri FTR37000 which they sold over here in the 90's I think, they still pop up for fairly cheap.

-151613704618362412.jpg

:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SayDJdgJMe4
:

http://www.sarome.com/products/smokingarticles/flint/sd12.html

radio807

Can't Leave
Nov 26, 2011
New Jersey
I see one from Xikar that looks pretty interesting and of couse, they come with a life time warranty.

See my post in this thread from a couple of weeks ago about my experience with the Xikar knockoff of the Old Boy: http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/pipe-lighters-4.
FWIW.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
The Old Boy was fashioned after the Dunhill, but it is a superior lighter because of the built in tamper. I have been through so many lighters over the years and nothing beats my Old Boy. Any lighter with an electronic ignition will end up in the junk draw, all of the Old Boy copies that are in the 30 dollar range will end up in the junk draw, nothing except very expensive Du Ponts, Dunhills and Davidoffs last as long as an Old Boy in my experience.

Dec 24, 2012
I love my old boy - in fact, I have 3 of them - and I have NEVER used the built in tamper. I must be weird.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
peck, yes you are weird, what do you use for a tamper? That is one of the things I love about my Old Boy, I never have to go searching for my tamper.

Dec 24, 2012
peck, yes you are weird, what do you use for a tamper? That is one of the things I love about my Old Boy, I never have to go searching for my tamper.
I am glad you asked, young padawan. I use my Larry Roush sterling silver tamper. It is angled with the wedge on the end and, in my view, is the perfect combination of form and function. The wedge shape allows me to tamp the edges down while leaving the tobacco conical in the bowl, thereby building even cake.

joshb83

Can't Leave
Feb 25, 2015
Has anyone ever had experience with the Borg version of the old boy...thinking about getting one for a decent price on a site, any input is appreciated.

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
I like my Kiribi Kabuto a lot. At under $100 it fulfilled my desire for a fangcy lighter for my fangcy pipes. It definitely takes design cues from Corona. I've never used a Corona though, so I can't give a usage comparison.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I have a Xikar Old Boy style lighter. For the first few months I hated it, but now love it. Thanks to cues and tips on this forum, (Warren?) I have had virtually trouble free use of it. The flame can be neither too high nor too low, and now I purge the chamber with every refill. It cost me $45.00 at the Chicago pipe show.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I got this briar encased Old Boy this past summer and love it. I never tried the Xikar pipe lighters but after 4 of their cigar lighters ultimately failing I've given up on Xikar.
BYbReyC.jpg

joshb83

Can't Leave
Feb 25, 2015
Wow! What a nice piece! I bet it works like a charm too. I don't know where you are, but glad to see your weather is better than mine today:)

Status
Not open for further replies.