PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

psycodiver

Lurker
Dec 3, 2014
Hi,
I just bought a Pioneer Meerschaum from eBay.

It wasn't cheap; it cost over $100.

When it arrived I noticed that it didn't have the 'P' logo on the stem.

Did I buy a fake Pioneer?

toby67

Can't Leave
Sep 30, 2014
Australia
There are a few posts here on the pioneers.. I myself have not read them but from just doing a quick google they are African Meerchaum which are white and yellow dotted and often stained black but they do have the "P" logo on the stem. It's also possible you have a replacement stem that was not an origional replacement and hence the missing logo. Post some picture of the pipe at different angles including the base so others with more knowledge can give you a better opinion.

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
There's also the chance that the logo was buffed off if it's an estate.
That's a constant decision when it comes to estates. Do I leave the green oxidation dot around the logo or do I go all black and risk buffing it off? On estates you can usually tell if the stems been buffed a lot by looking at the edge of it where it meets the pipes shank. If there's rounding and the two are different heights then chances are that stems seen some heavy buffing. If the rest of the stem is black and you see a little green at that edge....then chances are the restorer left it to avoid damaging it.

psycodiver

Lurker
Dec 3, 2014
Are there any tests to see if it is Meerschaum? I'm not too concerned if it isn't a Pioneer just that it's meerschaum.
Here is the pic, it was listed as "Pioneer Block Meerschaum, 1970."
4he5nd.jpg

psycodiver

Lurker
Dec 3, 2014
"Sure looks like meershaum ... what makes you think it might not be?"

For a start there is an absence of the 'P' logo. This makes me suspicious.

The yellow colouring on the pipe is not present on the inside of the bowl which makes me think the pipe has been coloured somehow.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
The "P" is usually on the black part of the shank. the "P" on my 2 Pioneers has worn off over the years but yours looks like a Pioneer to me. The coloring on the outside of the bowl is from smoking the pipe and that's a good thing. I would not expect the inside of the bowl to be yellow because that is where the real heat is. after smoking it and the bowls cools wipe the inside of the bowl with a paper towel. You really don't want any cake in the bowl.

Enjoy your pipe.

xrundog

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2014
Ames, IA
Looks like African Meerschaum to me. That mottling is typical. Is it not smoked? Could be wax bringing out that color. Waxing a new pipe is common. Smoking will make that one look really nice. African meerschaum guys love that mottled pattern. Without the P, I'd say it probably isn't a Pioneer. There is no way to prove it is for sure. But the brand isn't particularly valuable. Used Pioneers don't bring the prices of a Peterson for instance. In fact Pioneers are often passed off as Petes by those who don't know better. As a nice African meerschaum your pipe is okay. From what I understand the African meerschaums aren't being produced anymore. Having a Pioneer P would not, in my opinion, make the pipe worth more. So whatever you paid was probably fine.

psycodiver

Lurker
Dec 3, 2014
"The coloring on the outside of the bowl is from smoking the pipe and that's a good thing..."

The pipe is unsmoked so the colouring can't be from smoking.

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
I have a meer that came "fumed" from the maker. In other words, they treated the bowl with something that would give it a yellow/smokey appearance.

I think it looks great, Pioneer or otherwise.

psycodiver

Lurker
Dec 3, 2014
While I'm here my brand of pipe tobacco is tin "Log Cabin."

It's compressed into strips.
How should I pack this kind of tobacco in my pipe?

toby67

Can't Leave
Sep 30, 2014
Australia
My Meerchaum cost me about $160 new but it was a sale MeerQueen was having then I got a further discount for being a member here. Pack the pipe as you would any other, they are great smokers and treated right not allowing cake to form they will last your smoking days and then some. As mentioned above wipe the bowl with paper towel and never try to remove the stem when it's still warm. Don't use pie sweetener or anything either. As mentioned it looks like a Pioneer but the coloration could be mimicked. Meerchaum Pipe Care on following link.
http://www.meerschaumstore.com/care/

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
Looks like African Meerschaum to me. That mottling is typical. Is it not smoked? Could be wax bringing out that color. Waxing a new pipe is common. Smoking will make that one look really nice. African meerschaum guys love that mottled pattern. Without the P, I'd say it probably isn't a Pioneer. There is no way to prove it is for sure. But the brand isn't particularly valuable. Used Pioneers don't bring the prices of a Peterson for instance. In fact Pioneers are often passed off as Petes by those who don't know better. As a nice African meerschaum your pipe is okay. From what I understand the African meerschaums aren't being produced anymore. Having a Pioneer P would not, in my opinion, make the pipe worth more. So whatever you paid was probably fine."
In my opinion this is exactly what I think it is. They yellow is matrix in the stone . You can see this on some sites on mining meer. :puffpipe:

psycodiver

Lurker
Dec 3, 2014
When the pipe heats up the outer bowl gets sticky.
Can someone provide me with a link on how to pack the compact strip tobacco please?

jonasclark

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 4, 2013
Seattle
Looks African to me, too, with that tinted or calcined finish. If this isn't a Pioneer, that doesn't mean it wasn't worth the price, looks to be a fine pipe. I haven't personally seen this design before, but it may very well be their work.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
This may help you loading your pipe. It's about plug tobacco but once you cut a plug you have flakes. Good luck.
http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=james+fox+tobacco+video&FORM=VIRE1#view=detail&mid=339BBC17356A8D816B77339BBC17356A8D816B77

Status
Not open for further replies.