Is McClelland producing under other labels these days?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

inquisitor3

Lurker
Jun 20, 2017
During my earlier pipe days, McClelland produced tobaccos for PCCA, Butera and Ashton. Butera's Blended Flake and Ashton Brindle Flake were amazing, as was PCCA Millennium. Does McClelland manufacture for other tobacco labels these days?

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
The Butera line is still being produced..
The Ashton blends are now known as the Mclelland Ashton Revival line.
McCranies Red Ribbon and flake may be the most regarded..

blendtobac

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
Which of the Ashton blends (without Latakia) can you guys recommend? Anyone knows these blends? I've seen them quite often while shopping online in german pipe shops, yet always feared it would be some cheap Planta weed. Stoopid me!
The Ashton blends that are currently available aren't made by McClelland. They used to make a series for them, but those blends disappeared and then the new Ashton blends came out in flat tins. McClelland revived those original Ashton blends under their own label a few years back. The ones that you're seeing are probably made by K&K or Planta.
Russ

inquisitor3

Lurker
Jun 20, 2017
Deniz,
Ashton Brindle Flake was an extremely good Virginia. My TobaccoReview.com review of it back in 2003 was:
"If you like McClelland Virginias, you shouldn't pass this stuff by. Pipe-legend Paul Szabady identified Brindle Flake as the most full-flavored of the McC #2010 - McC #22 - Brindle Flake spectrum. Less lemony than its two siblings, it has a beautifully balanced zest note of apricot/peach in the top spectrum. A wonderful sweet and natural element passes without transition from the high range to the mid-range. The mid-range sweetness is butterscotchy, with toasted marshmallow flavors, again from the natural Virginias. The upper-bass zone carries a light-brown sugar tone, and a light-but-rich creaminess which perfectly balances the apricot zest.
Like most good Virginias, Brindle Flake gets better and better until the end of the bowl sneaks up on you. Smoked best at just above a smoulder, this can bite you if rapidly puffed due to the high natural sugar content of the leaf. Hot smoking also obscures the wonderful nuances of this blend, which continue to evolve throughout the bowl.
This is easily one of my favorite tobaccos. I'm always willing to take this stuff in trade, and I keep plenty of tins on hand due to its proven knack for getting even better with aging. BRAVO!"
If they are making them again, grab a tin!
Original Old Church was one of the best aromatics available.

inquisitor3

Lurker
Jun 20, 2017
Here is the McClelland Brindle Flake Revival cite: http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/3953/mcclelland-brindle-flake

Status
Not open for further replies.