Is Larry's Blend Still Being Produced In 8oz Tins?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 27, 2016
I have a 1.5oz tin of Larry's Blend and decided that I should get some more. I don't want to pay for a 1.5 oz tin since there is a lot of latakia dust in there, so I figured that it could still be a good buy at 8oz tin pricing. Looking online I can find it in stock in 1.5oz and loose bulk, and out of stock in 8oz tins. I don't really want this in loose bulk. Is it still being produced in 8oz tins? If so, are they usually hard to find?

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
Yes it is being produced in 8oz tins, but a lot of people are stocking up on their favorite tobacco's since the FDA announced their forthcoming regulations. You'll start seeing this more frequently... blends that were once readily available will be in high demand and out of stock across all online retailers. Even though manufacturers still have until August 8, 2018 to make and sell these blends without the FDA approved testing/permits etc. Many people feel that come this August many blends will go away, so they're stocking up now.

ericusrex

Lifer
Feb 27, 2015
Russ mentioned, in an older post, that their manufacturer (Sutliff, I think) has discontinued the 8 oz tins.

blendtobac

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
The Latakia "dust" you refer to is actually the cut I designated to be used in Larry's Blend. It's a granulated form of Latakia, which I selected because it delivers more flavor and burns more readily, which is important in a blend containing more than 60% Latakia.
Russ

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Also, granulated Latakia delivers plenty of flavor while allowing more room for other types of tobacco. It is the basis of Hellhammer, based on a tip by former USENET posters G.L. Pease, and allows the intense flavor of Latakia to complement but not dominate a blend. Russ's blend probably kicks much more ass and you should backorder it from ebay.

Jun 27, 2016
Thanks for the helpful responses, people. I might have to check out a little bit in bulk.
blendtobac
The Latakia "dust" you refer to is actually the cut I designated to be used in Larry's Blend. It's a granulated form of Latakia, which I selected because it delivers more flavor and burns more readily, which is important in a blend containing more than 60% Latakia.
Russ
That's interesting to know. Right before I jar it up, I screen all of my stuff in a stainless wire mesh flour sifter which has just a little smaller than 1/16" squarish openings. I do this to briefly air out the tobacco and to get rid of any really small pieces. Would you say that I am losing "just a bit/some of" or "most/all of" the granulated stuff that you intended for smoking in this blend, or is it generally ground up bigger than my screen holes?

blendtobac

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
That's interesting to know. Right before I jar it up, I screen all of my stuff in a stainless wire mesh flour sifter which has just a little smaller than 1/16" squarish openings. I do this to briefly air out the tobacco and to get rid of any really small pieces. Would you say that I am losing "just a bit/some of" or "most/all of" the granulated stuff that you intended for smoking in this blend, or is it generally ground up bigger than my screen holes?
The vast majority of the pieces shouldn't pass through, but there will certainly be some "shake" that will. I'd collect that and sprinkle it on the top of a bowl so you don't lose out on it.
Russ

Jun 27, 2016
blendtobac

The vast majority of the pieces shouldn't pass through, but there will certainly be some "shake" that will. I'd collect that and sprinkle it on the top of a bowl so you don't lose out on it.
Ok, good to know I'm still probably "capturing the essence" of the blend. I don't recall being bothered by a poor burn, but I will see if I notice one the next time I smoke it. The latakia presence was still there in full effect. The granulated-form latakia would explain why I was seeing so many more fines with the Larrys's Blend than usual when I sift out my tobaccos. Looking now, I see the granulated for sale on P&C. Is that the same stuff? I'm sure that I've seen it for sale before there and forgot that it existed. Probably going to try a little bulk Larry's to see how it is, and then get a larger amount if it's as good in quality and flavor as the tinned. :puffpipe:

Jun 27, 2016
Ended up buying an elbow of Larry's Blend in bulk over the weekend. It showed up today and in the bag it looks and smells exactly like the tinned stuff. A lot of nice big leaf pieces in there. I lost about an ounce and a half of fines after doing my sifting thing, which is ~10%, and I actually ended up with about the same amount in another pile after sifting out a pound of 5100 Red Cake. My entire house smells awesome! =)

Status
Not open for further replies.