Pipes Magazine » Pipe Tobacco Discussion

Tags:   

Is Lane Limited Bulk Discontinuing Some Blends?

(18 posts)
  1. chuckienorton

chuckienorton

Login to Send PM

Hey guys!

I'm wondering if anyone knows where/how I can order some of the Lane Blends i've heard of from tobaccoreviews.com.

You guys (pipesmagazine) have an article from a year ago here, it didn't explicitlely say Lane was stopping any of its bulk line. But i've only been able to find the same 6 lane bulk blends (1Q, RPL6, etc).

Anyone know a place to buy any other Lane's online?

Thanks in advance!!

Posted 1 year ago #
  2. mikephillips

mikephillips

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Hi Chuck, welcome and here ya go

http://www.4noggins.com/lanebulk1-q.aspx

That's 1Q

And here is the Lane's line that 4noggins carries.

http://www.4noggins.com/lanebulktobacco.aspx

There are other online places that carry more Lane's bulk tobaccos, I think.

This is just one:

http://pipesandcigars.com/lanlimbultob.html

Posted 1 year ago #
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

If you want a complete list of all the bulk blends Lane Ltd. currently has in their line up and/or want to inquire about a particular Lane blend, you can call them at (770) 934-8540.

Keep in mind, though, that many B&Ms "relabel" Lane blends and call those blends something else. For example, Tinderbox calls Lane 1Q "Wilshire."

Welcome to the PM Forums and the best of luck with your quest.

Posted 1 year ago #
  4. 05venturer

05venturer

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

5. crpntr1

Chris

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

You mean they make blends other than 1Q????

The most important things in life are good friends and a good bullpen...not necessarily in that order

You may all go to hell, I'll go to Texas-Davy Crockett
    Posted 1 year ago #
  6. zonomo

zonomo

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm a 1Q fan but I REALLY love Lane's BCA. Really awesome stuff.

Posted 1 year ago #
  7. cacooper

cacooper

Login to Send PM

Greetings all,

During the R.J. Reynolds/Conwood aquisition, the new management of Lane Ltd. eliminated all but 7 of the best sellers. All that remained were 1-Q, BCA, RLP-6, BL/WB, MV-1000, Very Cherry and HS-3. At one time Lane had dozens of blends from aromatic to English to straight blending tobaccos. Their cube-cut Burley was one of the best on the market. I used to stock several Lane blends in my shop and all were great sellers.

Now that STG, a true luxury pipe tobacco company, is the owner, rumor has it that some of the old blends will make a return, possibly HGL, a aro/english crossover (fingers crossed!).

Hopefully, Leonard Wortzel, brand manager for Lane and member of this forum, can chime in with any details.

Leonard, are you listening? Inquiring minds want to know!

CACooper

Posted 1 year ago #
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Well let's hope Lane #11 isn't one of the ones they bring back. That stuff really sucked badly LOL.

Posted 1 year ago #
  9. papipeguy

papipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My favorite all time blend was Lane's Highland. I used to buy it in the Lane Ltd. store in NYC in 1 lb cans. I'd describe it as an American/English aro crossover. A wonderful concoction but I hold little hope for that great blend coming back.

Blowin' smoke since 1970.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  10. sparroa

simenon

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

cacooper said it all.

Lane considerably downsized their portfolio.

Most of those are lost to the winds of time, but a Lane revival is always a possibility and I think McClelland makes a HGL and TK6 clone, though I may be mistaken. Check it out...

Posted 1 year ago #
  11. leonardw

Leonard Wortzel

Brand Manager, Lane Limited

Login to Send PM

Hey guys. You are correct - there were once over 30 Lane Bulk blends, but the portfolio was reduced to just 7 blends from 2007-2009: 1Q, RLP-6, Very Cherry, BCA, MV-1000, HS-3, and Burley-Light-Without-A-Bite (BL/WB). In 2012 we brought back TK-6. As for what may be coming back in 2013, stay tuned. Let me say this: I take personal offense at the fact that someone had the gall to eliminate HGL, which stands for Herman G. Lane, the company's founder.

Posted 1 year ago #
  12. chuckienorton

chuckienorton

Login to Send PM

Guys, thanks so much for your quick replies! Yeah. I just found out a blend I like from a great store in Minneapolis was on the old list of lane blends.

Now I'm guessing their distributor had some extra stock, else it would be off the shelf.

I'm embarrassed to say it was lane vanilla.

I know, that's gross to you older guys. But a lot of my 30-something friends like it.

Posted 1 year ago #
  13. sparroa

simenon

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Have you sampled among the available Lane bulks? Perhaps one of those will do. RLP6 is vanilla incarnate.

Posted 1 year ago #
  14. mikephillips

mikephillips

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Guys, thanks so much for your quick replies! Yeah. I just found out a blend I like from a great store in Minneapolis was on the old list of lane blends.

Now I'm guessing their distributor had some extra stock, else it would be off the shelf.

I'm embarrassed to say it was lane vanilla.

I know, that's gross to you older guys. But a lot of my 30-something friends like it.

Naw, to each his own. If you like it and people around you don't mind it, you're light years ahead of us old guys. You might try McBaren's Vanilla Creme. It sell in bulk, and is sure to please the crowd in whatever room your in.

http://pipesandcigars.com/mavacr1ba.html

Posted 1 year ago #
  15. chuckienorton

chuckienorton

Login to Send PM

You might try McBaren's Vanilla Creme. It sell in bulk, and is sure to please the crowd in whatever room your in.

http://pipesandcigars.com/mavacr1ba.html

@mikephillips Good idea.. Buying some now & let you guys know.

Have you sampled among the available Lane bulks? Perhaps one of those will do. RLP6 is vanilla incarnate.

@simenon - Yeah, I've tried them all. I don't remember RLP6. The lane BLWB (burley light without bite) is ridiculously close, but not quite the same. does something weird 1/2 way down the bowl, similar to other straight burleys i've tried. Vanilla had great body that tasted good even at the end.

I also like 1Q; however (just a recommendation here) I LOVE TQ, McClellands recent match blend. I actually am learning I like a lot of stuff from McClelland.

Thanks guys!

PS -I love this forum, you guys are all so quick & helpful. I build websites for a living & have had lots of experience in forums that (cough, cough) aren't as fun to be in.

Posted 1 year ago #
  16. spartan

Spartan

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

@LeonardW

Got enough pull to bring back HGL? I haven't tried it. But if the founder liked it... I imagine it would sell.

"I was born to lose. So I'll die to win." -Breaking Benjamin
    Posted 1 year ago #
  17. User has not uploaded an avatar

lestrout

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Leonard - now if you bring back Crown Achievement, that would be very impressive. Keep up the good work, and thanks for your support.

hp
    les

Posted 1 year ago #
  18. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Cool some of my questions about my recent lane bulk purchase have been answer I have quite a bit of GS-1, BL/WB, and even some black raspberry.

Posted 1 year ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   ivapewithfire, robin, psychpipes, meerschaumsteve, texmexpipe, gigger48, tuold, dmcmtk, phonomet, leacha, laytonpipes, sparks, pitchfork, elpfeife, jfox520, rcstan, uncleblackie, beardedbassguy, huskysibe, toby67, peckinpahhombre, daimyo, crusader, frank13, warren, ae1pt