Is Lane Limited Bulk Discontinuing Some Blends?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

chuckienorton

Lurker
Feb 6, 2013
Hey guys!
I'm wondering if anyone knows where/how I can order some of the Lane Blends i've heard of from tobaccoreviews.com.
You guys (pipesmagazine) have an article from a year ago here, it didn't explicitlely say Lane was stopping any of its bulk line. But i've only been able to find the same 6 lane bulk blends (1Q, RPL6, etc).
Anyone know a place to buy any other Lane's online?
Thanks in advance!!

05venturer

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Amery,WI
http://search.store.yahoo.net/pipes-cigars-tobacco/cgi-bin/nsearch?catalog=pipes-cigars-tobacco&query=lane+limited&x=0&y=0

zonomo

Lifer
Nov 24, 2012
I'm a 1Q fan but I REALLY love Lane's BCA. Really awesome stuff. :clap:

cacooper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 28, 2009
Parker, CO
Greetings all,
During the R.J. Reynolds/Conwood aquisition, the new management of Lane Ltd. eliminated all but 7 of the best sellers. All that remained were 1-Q, BCA, RLP-6, BL/WB, MV-1000, Very Cherry and HS-3. At one time Lane had dozens of blends from aromatic to English to straight blending tobaccos. Their cube-cut Burley was one of the best on the market. I used to stock several Lane blends in my shop and all were great sellers.
Now that STG, a true luxury pipe tobacco company, is the owner, rumor has it that some of the old blends will make a return, possibly HGL, a aro/english crossover (fingers crossed!).
Hopefully, Leonard Wortzel, brand manager for Lane and member of this forum, can chime in with any details.
Leonard, are you listening? Inquiring minds want to know!
CACooper

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
My favorite all time blend was Lane's Highland. I used to buy it in the Lane Ltd. store in NYC in 1 lb cans. I'd describe it as an American/English aro crossover. A wonderful concoction but I hold little hope for that great blend coming back.

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
cacooper said it all.
Lane considerably downsized their portfolio.
Most of those are lost to the winds of time, but a Lane revival is always a possibility and I think McClelland makes a HGL and TK6 clone, though I may be mistaken. Check it out...

leonardw

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 30, 2011
Hey guys. You are correct - there were once over 30 Lane Bulk blends, but the portfolio was reduced to just 7 blends from 2007-2009: 1Q, RLP-6, Very Cherry, BCA, MV-1000, HS-3, and Burley-Light-Without-A-Bite (BL/WB). In 2012 we brought back TK-6. As for what may be coming back in 2013, stay tuned. Let me say this: I take personal offense at the fact that someone had the gall to eliminate HGL, which stands for Herman G. Lane, the company's founder.

chuckienorton

Lurker
Feb 6, 2013
Guys, thanks so much for your quick replies! Yeah. I just found out a blend I like from a great store in Minneapolis was on the old list of lane blends.
Now I'm guessing their distributor had some extra stock, else it would be off the shelf.
I'm embarrassed to say it was lane vanilla.
I know, that's gross to you older guys. But a lot of my 30-something friends like it.

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
Have you sampled among the available Lane bulks? Perhaps one of those will do. RLP6 is vanilla incarnate.

chuckienorton

Lurker
Feb 6, 2013
You might try McBaren's Vanilla Creme. It sell in bulk, and is sure to please the crowd in whatever room your in.
http://pipesandcigars.com/mavacr1ba.html
@mikephillips Good idea.. Buying some now & let you guys know.
Have you sampled among the available Lane bulks? Perhaps one of those will do. RLP6 is vanilla incarnate.
@simenon - Yeah, I've tried them all. I don't remember RLP6. The lane BLWB (burley light without bite) is ridiculously close, but not quite the same. does something weird 1/2 way down the bowl, similar to other straight burleys i've tried. Vanilla had great body that tasted good even at the end.
I also like 1Q; however (just a recommendation here) I LOVE TQ, McClellands recent match blend. I actually am learning I like a lot of stuff from McClelland.
Thanks guys!
PS -I love this forum, you guys are all so quick & helpful. I build websites for a living & have had lots of experience in forums that (cough, cough) aren't as fun to be in.

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
@LeonardW
Got enough pull to bring back HGL? I haven't tried it. But if the founder liked it... I imagine it would sell.

Status
Not open for further replies.