Is Lane Limited 1Q actually Captain Black?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

48 Fresh Savinelli Pipes
108 Fresh Brulor Pipes
12 Fresh Mark Tinsky Pipes
36 Fresh Nørding Pipes
4 Fresh Scott Thile Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

octavius

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 15, 2011
I was told Lane Limited 1Q is the most popular bulk tobacco, and that it is actually Captain Black (White I think?). I used to smoke 1Q when I first started pipe smoking and I was surprised to hear that is was the same as buying a pouch of Captain Black. I have never tried Captain Black, or any other "drugstore" brand, not becasue I am a snob (maybe??), but due to the fact when I want tobacco I can just go to Iwan Ries.

cacooper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 28, 2009
Parker, CO
Greetings,
Captain Black and 1-Q are both made by Lane Ltd., in Tucker GA. Captain Black Royal (navy blue pouch) is similar to 1-Q, but not quite the same. Flavor, cut and look are identical, but a slightly lower grade of leaf is used in Captain Black, or so I've been told by their sales rep. Price per ounce is quite a bit higher for CB compared to 1-Q. Bulk tobacco purchased by tobacconist shops is traditionally shipped in 5-lb. plastic bags, Captain Black is individually packed in 12 oz. tubs and 1.5 oz. pouches. Plastic bags are considerably cheaper, hence the price difference.
Lane also priced Captain Black a little higher to steer folks to Brick and Mortar stores, instead of drugstores and supermarkets. Herman Lane always tried to help out the small mom & pop stores before the big chains. Not so much any more. Let's hope the new owners, STG, bring back some of Lane's former glory.
CACooper

wolfscout

Can't Leave
Dec 13, 2010
Newberry, SC
The flavor isn't identical to me. I used to buy Captain Black and grew a intense dislike for it as I got older.

Last year I got started on Lane 1Q. More pleasant, that cookie hint of aroma, and generally medium baccy IMO.

johnnyrebel

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 3, 2010
I've not had 1Q, but im currently working over a pouch of CBW. It seems nice, burns well, and with the price i thought it was intresting that it was actually a lower grade leaf. The B&M can't seem to keep 1Q in long enough to get a couple ounces, so the next time they have that in order im going to pick up some and try them side by side. It burns well and i think provides a nice smoke. Though i too see where you are coming from Wolfscout with growing older and having a dislike for it. I can see this happening to me as well if i were to smoke this for a period of time.
Edit: I just read too that Lane is over in Tucker GA. Thats not far from where. Thats cool.

sjpipesmoker

Lifer
Apr 17, 2011
I have both and smoke them from time to time, the capt seems to be a bit manufactured than lane 1Q, the capt has a bit of a stronger taste when compared to the 1Q.

I would say similar but not the same tobacco

locopony

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 7, 2011
CB is the old stand by for me I happen to like CBW quite alot. I have some 1Q that I have yet to try but it smells devine. Smells nothing like the CBW that I carry round in my truck for the regular enjoyment. CBW will often hand you a pretty gnarly stem on occasion. There dont seam to be any stems in my 1Q

stacen

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 23, 2011
I just recieved a 1/2 pound of 1Q and a 1/2 pound of RLP-6
I started on CBW and smoked it for years before discovering what was available out there in terms of tobacco. I got turned off to CBW because the proylene glycol chemicallyness became unacceptable to me after trying blends with less additives.
I just had my first bowl of RLP-6 --- it was FANTASTIC! it seemed to me.. to be a higher quality version of CBW without the PG. it was heaven! I had a whole series of flashbacks to some great memories of smoking CBW. I am really glad i gave it a try and would recomend it to anyone who's a fan of CBW, I have also heard that 1Q is CB BLue as RLP-6 is to CBW.

clanobucklin

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 19, 2010
I like 1Q - never tried Captain Black - 1Q has the old time smell of what my Dad used to smoke - although he smoked a lot of Amphora Red. 1Q has a pleasant - nothing fancy - taste and a great aroma

octavius

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 15, 2011
Thanks everyone! This seems to clear up a mystery for me. 1-Q seems to be CBB, but made with overall better leaf. Anyhow, I like 1-Q and I just like the some of you guys, I like it because it is nostalgia in a pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.