PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cjbaun

Lurker
Feb 10, 2014
Well... is it? That's really all I seek answers to. I want to make another pipe and the guy I purchased my briar from previously sucked. Is J.H. Lowe's briar good product?

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
He has a great reputation. I have bought some parts from him and enjoyed the transaction. He has good briar. But, since briar is a natural product, there is always a chance for an internal flaw that is not visible from the outside.
Winton

rx2man

Part of the Furniture Now
May 25, 2012
I know you did not ask but Vermont Freehand has always treated me right and his prices are fair. Shipping even faster. Vermont Freehand on facebook is the easiest way to contact him.

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
I've bought blocks, stems and tools from Tim West. I've bought in person at NASPC shows and online. Tim West is a heck of a nice guy. In person, he "reads" the blocks for you and tells you what to expect. I haven't gotten any angel hair straight grain blocks from him but they are well dried and honest values IMHO. Several of my pipes are Tim West's wood and I like them.
Mike S.

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
I would suspect Tim West can get you some good stuff. If you aren't happy with it you need to go to the Chicago Pipe Show. There will be several briar sales persons there. You can choose what you want.

jalanpipes

Lurker
Dec 14, 2012
San Diego, CA
Tim's a great guy and his wood is perfect for hobbyists. I bought some of my first blocks of briar from him. Adding to that, he spent hours on the phone with me helping me out before I knew the first thing about making pipes.
+1 for Tim

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
I bought a couple of small blocks from Tim 6-8 months ago. Gave one to a friend, the other is still sitting on a shelf in my shop.Haven't gotten around to using it yet. Got side tracked with other woods.

Keep in mind though that a pretty block is no guarantee of a pretty pipe.
And I agree--Tim is great to deal with.

cjbaun

Lurker
Feb 10, 2014
I ended up going with Vermont Freehand and cannot help but sing his praises, man. He was so quick to respond and talking to him instead of filling out a stupid order form is more up my ally. I recommend Steve very highly.

Status
Not open for further replies.