PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

hawke

Lifer
Feb 1, 2014
Augusta, Ga
I meant to ask this question the other day but have been forgetting. I've read a few reviews where the blend is described with the word "spicy". I am not a fan of spicy foods with hot peppers but do enjoy the horseradish type of burn. I've often described latakia nose burn as being like horseradish. I began wondering if what I felt on my tongue was tongue bite or this "spicy" thing others refer to.
I would like some clarification on this subject please. Does a tobacco actually have a hot pepper type of "spicy" at times?

ltstone

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 30, 2015
Sounds like what I get with Autumn Evening. Its not tongue bite, it just burns the heck out of my throat and nose sometime and very hard to inhale (if I were to inhale).

Or I'm not sure about pipe tobacco but I know of cigars that would burn your mouth before they were even lit.

hawke

Lifer
Feb 1, 2014
Augusta, Ga
I don't think I asked the question right. I'm not having trouble with tongue bite. I am wondering if some tobacco's give a "spicy taste" similar to Capsaicin. I heard tobacco descriptions as being spicy but I never made any connection to Capsaicin.

shanelktown

Lifer
Feb 10, 2015
Spicy like a jalapeño with a very robust undertone. It's not so much a burning feeling but blends give a nice spice. A great blend to experience this with is RO series firestorm it will transform into a spice but then will go back to a very pleasant smoke.

torque

Can't Leave
May 21, 2013
I've never experienced a blend that had a hot pepper spice effect, but plenty of blends and cigars that was reminiscent of a black pepper type spicy finish.

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
"I've never experienced a blend that had a hot pepper spice effect, but plenty of blends and cigars that was reminiscent of a black pepper type spicy finish"
Torque, that has been my experience also.

hawke

Lifer
Feb 1, 2014
Augusta, Ga
Ok, interesting. I think I'm getting a grasp on this. Any burn would be tongue bite from the usual causes and not what is termed "spicy" in reviews. Good stuff. I have no fellow piper here in my area that I can discuss such things with so you guys/gals are invaluable to me.

danhester

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 17, 2016
I often find blends with Kentucky or Perique to be spicy to me, both in taste and a tingly sensation in the mouth. The sensation is similar in some respects, but also pretty different from eating spicy foods.
Spice is a commonly described flavor with cigars as well. You'll see references to red pepper, black pepper, white pepper in blend descriptions.

danhester

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 17, 2016
I think that I do occasionally confuse a bitten or fatigued tongue as just smoking spicy tobacco.

Reactions: Jt100

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
Anyone who can tell the difference between the feel of spicy-hot food on their tongue vs burning it on hot liquid should be able to tell the difference between spicy tobacco and tongue bite.

skraps

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 9, 2015
Anyone who can tell the difference between the feel of spicy-hot food on their tongue vs burning it on hot liquid should be able to tell the difference between spicy tobacco and tongue bite.
Yep.
Essentially, in my mind, spicy should be a flavor, not a lingering sensation on the tongue after the smoke. That would be bite.

Status
Not open for further replies.