PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 10, 2013
So I'm still new to this I started out with an MM cob and upgraded to a no name Italy briar. I've been smoking it for a while and I was just thinking about upgrading. Not gonna get a $5,000 pipe but I've got my eye on what appears to be a decent deal. It's a k&p Peterson (that's about all I know so far) But my real question is if I get a better pipe will it really enhance my smoking experience? Or another way to word it. What's the difference from a mid grade pipe to a higher grade one?
Edit: Corrected capitalization in title per Rule #9, L.

Number Nine, Number Nine, Number Nine

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I don't think a new smoker, or maybe any smoker, can expect twice as good a smoke from a $300 pipe

as compared to a $150 pipe (or from a $80 pipe compared to a $40 pipe). Pipes break in differently.

The smoker has preferences. There are intangibles of what you find appetizing in a pipe. But a good

quality pipe (at various price levels) is going to draw better, maybe burn more evenly and with less heat

from the bowl, and just deliver a better experience. Having a rotation is important. Also, I'd do a lot of

"window shopping" at pipe shops and online. You learn a lot and develop some idea of how to get the

best pipe for whatever dollars you have to spend.

roudoudou

Might Stick Around
Aug 24, 2012
Montreal
As rothnh said, it's more about increasing one's rotation.
And having a 200$ pipe won't necessarily improve your smoking pleasure. In fact, there're a lot of 5$ pipe which smoke as good than 100-200$ ones. Price is mostly about the wood.
My advice: if you like the hobby, go and give yourself a gift. And why not get a pipe you find attractive.
From your post, you're thinking of buying your 3rd pipe. If you smoke a couple of times a day, it's the barely minimum you should have (since we recommend letting your pipe rest a day between bowls).
And forget about 'upgrading', I'm sure your 5$ MM cob will retain a special place in your rotation (if not your heart). One doesn't buy a new pipe to toss an old one. I would never think of getting rid of my first pipe!

gwtwdbss

Lifer
Jun 13, 2012
Price is not the issue for me. There are several high grade pipes that don't have nearly the same smoking quality of a less expensive pipe. Once you progess in the hobby you will find that the last 1/2 inch of the stem plays a huge part in your enjoyment. Harris used to own $1000+ pipes before but has sold them all as he likes the the the engineering of a $400 Rad Davis pipe better. I'm not saying go out and buy a Rad.
Things to consider are:
Am I a clencher or a holder?

What stem material feels best to me?

What is the weight of the pipe I am considering purchasing(doesn't matter if your a holder).

Will this pipe smoke cool and dry( ie no pipe cleaners necessary while smoking to absorb excess moisture)?
These are just a few things to ponder while considering a new pipe. Best of luck and let us know how it goes.

tslex

Lifer
Jun 23, 2011
If I were a new pipe smoker with $200 to spend I would certainly not buy a $200 pipe. You might want to spend that and more sometime, but not to start.
I'd probably buy a couple of $85 pipes and $30 in tobacco, many varieties in small quantities, maybe some sampler packs, so I could try a variety of things.
With your next $200, maybe buy a $120 pipe, $50 of tobacco you now know you like, and $30 of a variety of different stuff to try.
Pipes are great and I own a few wonderful ones, but they are more than objects and there's more to pipe smoking than pipes. As I tell folks, caverns of interesting stuff to explore.

puffy

Lifer
Dec 24, 2010
North Carolina
I feel from my own experience that having a few good smokers is better than having a lot of not so good.The pipes that I really prefer start at around $300.I'm not suggesting that you spend that much.Actually you can buy pretty decent pipes for around $75.

gwtwdbss

Lifer
Jun 13, 2012
I will say it again. Price doesnt matter. It's not about price. Its about the quality of the smoke. Some $85 pipes smoke better than others at the same price. You have to do a little research to determine what you like before purchasing. I still have a $14 estate in my rotation because is smokes great and is so comfortable.
Dont think "this pipe is better because it costs more"
C5F22446-183B-42A4-BD93-C46834395BDA-4057-000003BFCDC20EF1_zps653fbc6a.jpg

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
There's also the question of how much difference you're likely to perceive as a relative newbie. Speaking from my own experience (which is not going to necessarily be the same as yours...), I did notice a difference between the characteristics of my early-purchase pipes (a couple of Bjarne Viking Classics) and my first Stanwell - but the price differential was only about $20. If you feel like purchasing a new pipe, I say go for it - but don't expect a miraculous difference. I still smoke a little too fast and a little too hot, and although the Stanwell is a better smoker, it's hard to tell whether it's the general quality or the fact that it's straight rather than bent that make the difference.

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
There's some great advice already given here. But you mentioned a specific pipe with no link so I'm assuming you don't want someone else to snipe it.
Don't hesitate to PM some of us fine folks about specific questions. I've bugged Harris, Roth, Kash, Cortez, etc with PMs about advice on specific pipes and tobaccos. There's a wealth of knowledge with years of weight behind it around here.
Let us know how you make out.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I'm one of the "smoke the best pipes you can afford" guys. Since you don't provide any links, I can't comment on the specific pipe. I tend to agree with the guys, though, since you are pretty new: get yourself a couple of decent estates, from an established place - maybe smokingpipes.com or one of the other site sponsors. Spend money on tobacco - decide what you like - and then start spending money on good pipes. They don't have to be super expensive, but get good quality. Don't buy a lot of cheap pipes just to have a bunch.

Enjoy the journey. :puffy:

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
All good points, but I would say that if you are smoking a cob or a Grabow both could be good smokes, but a Peterson will be a far better smoke. I started with the no names, but most don't get smoked any more. I reach for a Peter or a Nording as they are always fabulous smokes.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
In the beginning it is difficult to know what you like about a certain pipe. Since you have no experience how do you know if you like a vulcanite stem with a pronounced button, or an acrylic one with a smaller button. How will you know if you are going to be a clencher or a holder? Are you going to like English blends that smoke better in larger bowls or a flake lover and smaller bowls. Will you understand how the shape and size of a pipe will offer a better smoking experience depending on the tobacco you like? Of course you cannot answer these questions and neither I am afraid can we. Pipe smoking is a journey that everyone goes through. I started out with big pipes for mostly English blends and I was a holder at that time, now I smoke only flake tobaccos and clench all the time. I have gone through a myriad of pipes and tobaccos to get where I am and I needed to experience the journey to understand what I like best.
My recommendation is to buy a pipe for English blends, one for aromatics and one for flakes. You can buy decent pipes for 25-75 bucks on the estate market or new ones if that is your preference. Until you understand what your likes and dislikes are, spending 200.00 on a pipe is not the smartest move. Once you have found your niche and understand what you like about a given pipe, then you can move up into more expensive pipes that will give you a better smoking experience. I have found what I love in my pipes and tobacco combinations and buy accordingly, it only took 10 years or so, but the journey was fun. I have learned a ton from this site and I honestly believe that if this site had been around when I started, I could have found my favorites much sooner, so you are lucky in that respect. Try and sample as much tobacco as you can early on to find out what you like best, then you can match up pipes to those blends.

Status
Not open for further replies.