Is it the Balkan Sobranie or Just A Cute Tin?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
Nothing unusual here in the bidding other than three guys lost there minds. The last three bids were all snipes and all you are seeing is their maximum bid.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
You could have those tins made in China, print the seals yourself, and fill it with something similar to what is expected. Just list it for the tin. It's going to happen, sooner or later (and not by me, thank you very much)

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
I have personally never seen a Sobranie tin of that style but I would imagine it's genuine. I can't imagine spending anywhere near that. One thing, I wonder if the tin is actually vacuum sealed? The 7 0z tins of old I've always been familiar with were not. I hope if (he) smokes it that it is fantastic!
Mike S.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Wouldn't you love to get a report on it? My educated guess says that the tin is not vacuum sealed. Might be a vacuum sealed mylar bag inside, but...probably not.

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
That tin is from 1979, it's the 100th anniversary Sobranie tin, it will be a vacuum sealed mylar bag inside a hinged tin. Like the old saying goes.....they ain't making anymore of them!

boudreaux

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 7, 2013
Interesting notes that I saw under the listing after reading anthonyrosenthal's comments about smokeability of this item:
"The value of the item is the collectible packaging, not the tobacco itself."

"While the package has never been opened, the tobacco inside is not for consumption."

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
@Boudreaux, that's standard eBayesque disclaimer language. Somehow, it makes the compassionate folks in SF believe that they are not hosting tobacco sales.
@philobeddoe, I was right, and I was wrong!

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
That's to 1) satisfy eBay's rule of not selling tobacco and 2) so the buyer can't bitch when the tobacco is bone dry.

Often time you will see "the value is IN the tin."get it, IN the tin? as in INside.
Mike S.

boudreaux

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 7, 2013
I stand educated. :worship: Don't get on eBay much except to look out of curiosity. Thanks, guys.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
My goodness. I enjoyed Sobranie Original, back in my younger days, but I don't know if I would pay that much, even if I had it.

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
Wow, that's crazy! Peck, did you buy that? Harris maybe? That damned well better be the best smoke ever! When you think about it though, at 10 bowls to the oz. on average, that's 70 bowls. People do spend they much or more for the same amount of cigars. I wouldn't, but some do.

namuna

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 22, 2013
I've got my suspicions on the validity of that auction as well...I wouldn't doubt there's some backhanded dealings going on there to artificially inflate the supposed value of that particular tin/tobacco.
Some people gauge the aftermarket value of items based on the sold price of that item (or similar) from auction houses.
Say you recently upgraded to a new smartphone and wanted to sell your previous one. How much is it worth? Well, you can do an advanced search on ebay (and choose to show only sold items) for that phone you want to sell. Sort the results by most recently sold and you can pretty decently get an idea of what your phone is worth on the current market.

Status
Not open for further replies.