is it possible to screw up loading a cube cut flake?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kaboom

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 12, 2012
So yesterday evening I decided to give the cube cut method of preparing flake a shot, given that every other method has failed to stay lit miserably for me.

Took some capstan blue flake, cut it into strips and then into 2mm or so cubes, gravity loaded it into my santambrogio Rhodesian, lit and puffed away.
Even though there was a marked improvement in smokability compared to rub out and foldnstuff, I still had to smoke it faster than I wanted to in order to get a half decent burn and keep it lit. I ended up burning my tongue or getting it bitten. I also had to run a couple of pipe cleaners through the stem to the bottom of the bowl because the pipe started gurgling a couple of times.
What's happening? Isnt cube cut supposed to be foolproof? What am I doing wrong?
Also the capstan was thoroughly aired out before cutting or smoking.
Any input is appreciated!

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Kab here is a tip I use which is Heresy in the pipe community, cube cuts are sometimes hard to start the burn, I use a torch lighter right in the middle, careful not to burn the rim, saves the relighting crap, torch it up and go.

andystewart

Lifer
Jan 21, 2014
I was saved by the Z fold, although I just fold in half and go lengthways if the pipe warrants it. Cube cutting is a lot of effort all around.
Andy

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
Sparks is spot on. Keep trying and cube up different flakes. Also experiment with the size of your cubes. Each will operate a little differently. I recently rubbed out a good many bowls of burley flakes but have gone back to cubing. The flavor is just better presented in my opinion.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
I used to rub out all my flake tobacco, but now I cube cut in fairly small cubes, like a little smaller than 1/4 inch. Lastly, I rub a small amount as fine as I can to put on top in the bowl. This helps with getting the tobacco lit, as the fine stuff lights easier than the larger bits. I also tamp just a little before lighting. Once lit, the tobacco raises up a bit so some more gentle tamping will help. So far this has worked well for me and I like the flavor I get from the tobacco doing it this way. It's a little more work, but worth it IMO. See if it works for you.

gmwolford

Lifer
Jul 26, 2012
WV, USA
I used to rub out all my flake tobacco, but now I cube cut in fairly small cubes, like a little smaller than 1/4 inch. Lastly, I rub a small amount as fine as I can to put on top in the bowl. This helps with getting the tobacco lit, as the fine stuff lights easier than the larger bits. I also tamp just a little before lighting. Once lit, the tobacco raises up a bit so some more gentle tamping will help. So far this has worked well for me and I like the flavor I get from the tobacco doing it this way. It's a little more work, but worth it IMO. See if it works for you.

+1

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
I prefer the Z fold method but sometimes go to the cube cut. I think Astley's 44 and Wessex BCDF taste better cube cut than folded or rubbed out. With that being said I think agnostic hit the nail on the head. You need to finely rub out some kindling and then put that on the top. It requires a bit of tamping, but once it starts you can usually draw the cherry into the cubes and then it will be smooth sailing from there.
Hope that helps,
Dan

puffdoggie

Can't Leave
Dec 14, 2013
I don't smoke a lot of flake and have the same issue. I have found the tips espoused by others above to be very helpful. Keep at it and happy puffin'.
Dave

sailorjeremy

Can't Leave
Feb 25, 2014
Virginia
I'm not really a fan of folding and stuffing. Cube cut tastes great but it's too much of a pain to keep lit. I usually cut my flakes into 3 and rub. Always works for me!

jmill208

Lifer
Dec 8, 2013
Maryland USA
I prefer to cut the cubes, gravity fill, tamp to a slight firmness, char, then light up. Of all of the methods I have used, this seems to work the best for me. It may require a relight or two but that's ok with me.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
With the cube cut, agnosticpipe's suggestion is a very good one.
Also, these cubes can hold A LOT of moisture. Give it ample dry time or even microwave it for 10 seconds.
Once dry enough, a gravity pack followed by the tamping before and after char will suffice.
The cubes expand, so err on the side of loose and then pack tighter as you go.

Mar 1, 2014
-tbradsim1
Kab here is a tip I use which is Heresy in the pipe community, cube cuts are sometimes hard to start the burn, I use a torch lighter right in the middle, careful not to burn the rim, saves the relighting crap, torch it up and go.
I actually really like my butane torch, and it's actually not nearly as hazardous as people say, if you know to be careful.

Yes, it's thousands of degrees in the middle of the blue flame, so don't light it an inch from your pipe. Start far enough away that it doesn't burn anything and then bring it closer until it does, there's no reason a torch has to overcook your tobacco.
With great power comes great responsibility, I like my torch that lights just about anything under any condition.

Status
Not open for further replies.