Is It Possible I Have a Physical Aversion to Burley?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ericusrex

Lifer
Feb 27, 2015
I've heard of adverse reactions to perique before but not burley. Some burley blends that are reviewed as completely non-biting bite me, even when sipped. I also get a harder nicotine hit than the reviews report. And sometimes it really gives me a scratchy throat. For instance, on an afternoon walk today, I had some Amphora Original. Jiminks said "won't bit even when puffed fast" and the "nic-hit ranges from mild to moderate." My nic-hit after this walk was more along the lines of what I get from Nightcap or ODF. And it bit me almost as bad as anything people describe as "bitey". Most of those C&D burley blends effect me similarly while other burley blends I have no problem with. Could it be my chemistry doesn't jibe with some types of burley? Anyone else experience this?

May 4, 2015
Could it be my chemistry doesn't jibe with some types of burley?
That is entirely possible, but what I would point out is that Burley lurks nearly everywhere to lend body to blends. So you're probably smoking burley even when you don't think you're smoking burley.
You may just have to take it on a blend to blend basis to find out what specifically bothers you and doesn't.

lazar

Can't Leave
May 5, 2015
Yep. The most bitey blend I've tried lately was Boswell's No Bite Delite! I also find burleys stronger in nic than they're supposed to be. Pegasus was just pure evil for me, and I just won't smoke most burley-forward aros. Oddly, when it's fire cured or cavendished to the bejesus (like Green River) I'm okay with it, so I guess being heavily processed helps.

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
I'm absolutely convinced that you can have an "allergy" to certain tobaccos.
I get a headache and become nauseous if I smoke latakia.

Hmmm, Nightcap and ODF have never bitten me, but there may be something else at play here. You will hear us suggesting slowing down and drying your tobacco quite a bit on the forum. This is not because of some cult, brainwashed, zombie plague we are spreading. It's not dogma, nor even a rule. But, without drying the tobacco at least a little bit, and slowing down till your just trickling wisps of smoke, then you are taking puffs of steam, and that will bite you regardless of what blend you chose. I think the notion that certain blends won't bite also comes with an understanding that the smoker knows what he is doing.

I could be wrong. Maybe you are drying your tobacco until its crispy and smoking slow enough to keep a clay pipe cool. But, my guess in this age where the only time most people see a pipe smoker is some moron on youtube that knows less than a eggsucking dog that loves its own farts. I've seen them, puffing a pipe like its some sort of "vape" machine the kids use.
Growing up among smokers in my family and community, you would never see big billowing clouds of smoke. The whole concept behind cigars and pipes is that you do not inhale. The nicotine is absorbed through the small blood vessels of the mouth, and that requires time, so going slow, and savoring the flavor is how you pass the time as you absorb the nicotine goodness. Puffing just blows all of the goodness into the air, a waste and disgrace.
So, try drying. I like mine on the crispy side, but some just like it a tad moister than me. You'll just have to experiment.
Also, slowwwww downnnn... take your time. Smoke it on the edge of going out. trickles of smoke. don't waste it. Give it a try.
There ain't no rules to this. But, since you asked the question, obviously something wasn't working for you. Maybe this helps.
Keep it up, and keep it smokey. :puffy:

Aug 14, 2012
Yes. I do also. It is new. Years ago I could smoke it all day, but being older it makes me sick to smoke too much of it.

puffy

Lifer
Dec 24, 2010
North Carolina
I can't smoke Straight Virginia.Bites me like crazy.I can smoke blends with Virginia in them though.I think it's probably a chemical thing.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
I also get a harder nicotine hit than the reviews report. And sometimes it really gives me a scratchy throat.
Burley hits some people harder. I was one of them, for a time. And now? Well, I don't know, and that intrigues me.
Burley affects the stomach. It is different than Nicotine level; something about Burley strikes the stomach. Since it tastes like a green crop, I am going to guess it is something similar. If you have ever eaten underripe fruit or vegetables, you will recognize these circumstances.
My experience was to try some hardcore tobaccos like the Gawith ropes, and to practice smoking Burleys slowly, which allowed my body to acclimate.
Some report that OJK is "very strong," but to me at this point, it hits like a medium maybe a notch toward the strong... but basically, a medium. How can that be? The Burley had such an intense effect that it seemed strong.
This even happens with very mild Burley blends.
I am glad I pushed on through, because I love the Burley smell, flavor and smoke. YMMV

cosmicbobo

Part of the Furniture Now
May 11, 2017
In most of my smoking years from '72 on Burley was the bane on my tongue. I didn't understand for the longest time that the way to smoke was more slowly. After many periods of nothing but Cavendish I find that I like all kinds. I just treat them all differently... and smoke a type when I am craving it.

bonanzadriver

Can't Leave
Nov 28, 2016
After all of the reading I've done on this subject, I believe that you can indeed have a physical/chemical reaction to different tobaccos.
Burley absolutely blisters me.
My main blend is pretty much anything english/balkan.
I did try Lanes HGL , an Amerian English with burley. Still find it a bit bitey.

sallow

Lifer
Jun 30, 2013
So some of the classic pipe shop old time burleys (peretti's, uhle's) bite me pretty hard, but I can smoke solani and wessex flake burleys with no problem. I think it could be a topping thing with me.
I still smoke the pipe shop burleys because I like them. I smoke through the pain.

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
Another Burley-avoider here. I can smoke some gentle stuff, like Mac Baren's Navy Flake, but that's the tops. Things like Solani ABF.. can't touch 'em and don't like 'em either, so it works out.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
@Sallow- I feel ya, brother. I like the taste of most Virginias, but have to smoke through the pain because my body doesn't like them.

cosmicbobo

May 11, 2017
Hoping aged Burley has less sting. I am just starting to see this as an issue.

bonanzadriver

Can't Leave
Nov 28, 2016
There is hope for fighting the dreaded tongue bite.
Being as it's almost certainly a ph thing and usually not a temperature thing, it can be counteracted.
I've read several articles that suggest having a glass of apple juice, orange juice or red wine nearby when trying to overcome tongue bite.
I've found when I start out with a glass of pinot noir, sippin before I ever start smokin, that it significantly if not entirely stops it.
I've also found that if I start the wine after the bite is already present, it mitigates it but doesn't prevent it.
Just my $0.02
Dino

cosmicbobo

May 11, 2017
I'll explain to the little woman who tolerates my smoking pipes that I need to start drinking more wine to mitigate things. Just around the corner, there's a rainbow in the sky. Let's have another cup of coffee and let's have another piece of pie.

Status
Not open for further replies.