Is it over?

(22 posts)
  • Started 1 month ago by The Pipe Monk
  • Latest reply from The Pipe Monk
  1. disinformatique

The Pipe Monk

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Have 5 unsmoked bowls in various stages of burn on my table. Been a while I actually enjoyed a pipe.

Is it over for me? As a pipe smoker, or is it just something few people undergo?

Albert Einstein was once quoted as saying, “I believe that pipe smoking contributes to a somewhat calm and objective judgment in all human affairs.” One of the reasons behind this statement is that pipe smoking is meant to be a slow leisurely activity. It takes patience to smoke a pipe. Unlike cigarettes and cigars, there is a certain amount of technique to smoking a pipe. Where cigars and cigarettes can just be picked up, lit and puffed on, pipes require the development of a technique in order to get the best smoking experience.
    Posted 1 month ago #
  2. canadianpuffer

canadianpuffer

Login to Send PM

Sometimes it takes me 2 weeks to finish a bowl. Good thing DGT adds flavour in a good way. Try smoking half bowls to see if it’s a boredom thing.

Posted 1 month ago #
  3. orobusto

orobusto

Login to Send PM

I don't think it's over. I used to get like that when I smoked pipes and cigars daily, somehow it became expected as part of my day and I started to see it like a chore. Nowadays, having limited time, I treasure the time I can enjoy a bowl.

Posted 1 month ago #
  4. hawky454

hawky454

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I’ve gone months where the pipe just didn’t appeal to me, I just didn’t smoke at that point in time. Don’t push it, wait until it becomes appealing again and good news is you’ll have tobacco with age on them just waiting to be smoked when you return. I hope it’s not over for you but if you’re anything like me, it won’t be. I find that life circumstances plays a huge role in how I enjoy my pipes. Don’t force it, if it comes it comes. I wish you the very best in whichever path you choose or whatever path chooses you.

Posted 1 month ago #
  5. philobeddoe

Philo Beddoe

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Monk, you’re in Egypt aren’t you? I know my desire for a pipe can wane in mere Indiana heat, I’m sure that Egyptian summer heat would surely affect my desire for a pipe. Curiously, I tend to want cigars more often during the summer heat, these may appeal to you as well.

"So it goes." - K.V.
    Posted 1 month ago #
  6. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Ah, truly astute Philo. Also, any new meds? Emotional events in your life? Relocation stress? Does the changed diet work against your pipe smoking flavors? I say, clean up those half-smoked pipes and give them a rest for a week or three. If you hear the siren call, give your favorite blend a try.

Posted 1 month ago #
  7. bnichols23

Bill Nichols

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Comes & goes for me, Monk. I follow a Zen method -- it'll come when it comes.

Bill

Head Black Frigate keelhauler, boss powder monkey, & troublemaker 1st class.
    Posted 1 month ago #
  8. tavol

tavol

Login to Send PM

I can go weeks between bowls. Ain't no point in smoking if you're not enjoying it.

Posted 1 month ago #
  9. chasingembers

Embers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

That's a hard one to answer. It may or may not be the end. Like one day last year I was browsing pipes online, and nothing was catching my eye. Since that day, I have completely lost interest in buying another one. You may be going through a down period in your smoking, or you may be ready for something new. Time will tell.

Damnation seize my soul if I give you quarters, or take any from you.
    -Edward Teach
    Posted 1 month ago #
  10. snoopy311

snoopy311

Login to Send PM

@hawky, We in the northern states call that winter. When zero degrees is the high for the day one tends to rest the pipe and look for warmer pursuits. But when spring rolls around, I find new life and the pipe smoking continues.

Posted 1 month ago #
  11. hawky454

hawky454

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Lol, it’s just the opposite here in the south, Snoopy. Although I have the new luxury of being able to smoke in my apartment so the weather isn’t an obstacle but I do hate, HATE the summers here. Getting divorced was the best decision I’ve ever made, I am now truly the master of my domain. ...I kid, I kid... kinda.

Posted 1 month ago #
  12. troyniss

troyniss

Login to Send PM

No it's not over, but if you decide you don't want anything to do with pipe smoking anymore send me your stash!

Nah, I regularly go days without smoking my pipe, or even have bowls loaded up to smoke for the night and don't end up going out, only to empty that said bowl and load a different one and repeat the process.

I usually smoke about 2 bowls a day now, once when I get home from work and another later at night.

Posted 1 month ago #
  13. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've sometimes gone for over a half day without wishing a smoke. So, not much help here, but the good news is you have five pipes ready to be picked up and smoked.

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 1 month ago #
  14. pipestud

pipestud

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

If I went two weeks without a pipe... yeah, it would be over because I'd be dead.

Pipestud
    Posted 1 month ago #
  15. redglow

redglow

Login to Send PM

From time to time, I'll have a 3 or 4 day hiatus from the pipe. When I return, it always tastes amazing.

Posted 1 month ago #
  16. User has not uploaded an avatar

bullet08

Login to Send PM

yeah, now and then, i don't feel like smoking. rare, but happens.

Posted 1 month ago #
  17. cachimbero

cachimbero

Login to Send PM

I tend to smoke less pipes in the summer, (inner southern Spain is very hot), but I tend to compensate with cigars when outdoors. Then Autumn comes and pipes become wonderful again. Just be patient. And try the pipe during the break. It will surprise you.

Posted 1 month ago #
  18. folanator

folanator

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Was it over when the Germans bombed Peal Harbor?

Posted 1 month ago #
  19. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

You have to smoke your way out of this funk. Just keep trying different blends with maybe different pipes and try to get some nice combos.

Harris
    Posted 1 month ago #
  20. cortezattic

Cortez

A part of the problem since he ...

Login to Send PM

You need to get online and buy a decent pipe -- something along the lines of Ardor, Castello, or Rinaldo.

I find myself sitting idly on the line dividing past and future,
    as if I could kill time without injuring eternity. -- Thoreau
    Posted 1 month ago #
  21. hauntedmyst

hauntedmyst

Resident Comedian

Login to Send PM

I've undergone it. I'll smoke for years then take a few off. Don't get rid of your stuff, just pack it away and when it calls again, you'll pick it back up.

A tattoo on a beautiful woman is like graffiti on a Ferrari.
    Posted 1 month ago #
  22. disinformatique

The Pipe Monk

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Awesome comments guys !! Atleast I'm not alone during this phase of my pipe smoking life !!

@Philo I am in India, usually its hot as hell in summers but I've been living in Bangalore since late 2013 and this city is one of the most plesant ones I've lived in my life. Anyone living in any hot American state can live here with just a ceiling fan. My home city, on the other hand is usually the coldest (no snow) and the hottest in summers.

Perhaps its time to get some more tobacco !! if they dont get seized illegally by the Indian idiots at the customs and postal. I'm all ready to defect to Nepal once the newly re-elected right wing govt. ban all baccy and booze countrywide !!

Cheers,
    Chris

Posted 1 month ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   jfred, elasmo, alaskanpiper, jiminks, jojoc, chasingembers, craig61a, donjgiles, mindglue, jabomano, oldgeezersmoker, mikethompson, greeneyes