PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

nhhiggy

Lurker
Jun 23, 2019
Sometimes I feel like just wanting to smoke less than full bowl is it better to pack less or pack full smoke a bit let it go out finish the rest later or the next day really don’t want to screw up a good pipe.

haparnold

Lifer
Aug 9, 2018
Colorado Springs, CO
In a word: Yes.
In more words, if you've got some goopy tobacco in there, you may want to give your pipe a chance to dry out after finishing the bowl, but I've frequently smoked partial bowls and returned later. The worst effect I've ever gotten is a bit of a stale taste.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
First, smoking a pipe in increments is fine, and I do it all the time. Most pipes smoke fine if you let them go out and then come back for another round or two over time. On the other hand, if the flavor fades or gets harsh, etc., by all means end the smoke, scoop it out, and don't smoke it down. Either reaction is appropriate.

Reactions: sthaddix

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
I've returned to bowls the following day and they've been fine. I've always been told that if your pipe is new you should burn it all the way down for the first several smokes though, to get some good carbon cake going in the bottom of the bowl. So I guess whether it is a half bowl, or a bowl you return to later, as long as it gets smoked to the bottom at some point you are good?
I'm sure some folks with more experience will weigh in here, but that's my experience.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
Absolutely!
I usually want to sit down and relax with a bowl but there have been rare occasions where I only had 5-10 minutes so that's how long I smoked. And yes, I dumped the rest as I wouldn't be able to get back to it for at least a week. $2/oz of bulk tobacco is only a few cents worth when I do this so it doesn't really bother me.
Additionally, other than the novelty of it, I'm not a fan of trying to smoke down to pure ash. Think about it. At the end you're really just sucking hot air through mostly ash. Doesn't sound tasty if you ask me. There might be a handful of blends that are an exception to this but most aren't worth it IMO.

nhhiggy

Lurker
Jun 23, 2019
Thank you I remember as a cigarette smoker the closer I got to the filter the worse it tasted. 7/8ths or thereabouts is good.

nhhiggy

Lurker
Jun 23, 2019
Dang and here I thought I was failing if I wasn’t smoking the dottle... and I read an old post that leads me to believe the smokes to a fine white ash is a myth at least for Aros. I am finding a little looser pack seems to work better with the Aros I’m smoking. Anybody else find that?

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
Honestly, realizing I preferred to ditch a bowl at about 90% done was kind of a big thing to me. Like giving myself permission to not spend the last 10 minutes of a smoke constantly re-lighting and fussing with something I had ceased enjoying.
I also had this idea that all my pipes needed to have big, deep chambers.. Now I'd just as soon have a smaller bowl, and if I want to enjoy it longer, I can... have another bowl.

haparnold

Lifer
Aug 9, 2018
Colorado Springs, CO
Now I'd just as soon have a smaller bowl, and if I want to enjoy it longer, I can... have another bowl.
This. I'm a huge fan of small-to-medium pipes. I know lots of people who like 'em big, but I get more enjoyment from smaller pipes, which are also easier to clench.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Now I'd just as soon have a smaller bowl,
Going to have to agree with this as well, the first pipes I bought were all deep bowled bastards, mostly because I only smoke once a week or so and wanted to make it count, but I am REALLY enjoying shallower bowls with wider chambers lately, particularly with english blends and aromatics.
The savinelli 315KS (a couple spigot sterling ones I picked up on SUPER sale at smokingpipes) has been my go to smoker lately, really enjoying that pipe.
Also splurged on an estate Castello 26 recently for my first father's day but I've only had one bowl out of it so far, but right out of the gate it is also an awesome smoker.
A good old fashioned cob is great for aromatics as well. That wide open draw makes it super easy to keep that sugar laden stuff going, and if they get too ghosted up and nasty, or you get a little excited and fry it, they are 5 friggin dollars. Although, Old Dominion makes one with a really wide chamber, nearly .9 and 1.3 deep, called the "Richmond". Basically meets my ideal medium sized briar proportions of late, which I had yet to find in a cob. $20, but I have one on the way here, excited to fire it up. It will likely be an english only cob for me.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I try to smoke my tobacco at the right moisture level which is reasonably dry. My technique has gotten decent, I smoke slower and dryer. So wet dottle usually isn't an issue. But I also mostly smoke large size 3 to medium size 4 pipes. If for some reason the last 10% of the bowl is proving to be a problem, I stop and empty it out. The only rule you should observe is to enjoy your pipe smoking experience.

Apr 2, 2018
Idong,South Korea.
Yes,it’s OK..If everything is going alright,and the tobacco is tasting alright as you near the end,take it right down to the heel,and light up the ashes.Just don’t get over enthusiastic and char the bottom of your chamber.

shayde

Can't Leave
Oct 4, 2013
I don’t like doing it because I feel like it’s hard to find a nice zen on the second time smoking the bowl

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
Pipesmagazine Radio Show, Episode #56, Tom Eltang with Brian Levine, at 19:36!
THERE is your answer! :puffpipe:

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
This. I'm a huge fan of small-to-medium pipes. I know lots of people who like 'em big, but I get more enjoyment from smaller pipes, which are also easier to clench.
Going to have to agree with this as well, the first pipes I bought were all deep bowled bastards, mostly because I only smoke once a week or so and wanted to make it count, but I am REALLY enjoying shallower bowls with wider chambers lately, particularly with english blends and aromatics.
Part of it is I've been smoking these strong-ass GH&C flakes and ropes. 35-45 minutes with a bowl of Dark Flake is... sufficient. And if not, cool, I can have more. I don't live in an orphanage
I kind of have my next two pipes charted out. One will be a thick-walled, smaller chambered pipe for flakes and VAs. The other will be a wide, shallow bowl for English/Latakia blends, i.e. the kind of pipe I would have previously ignored because the chamber is less than 1.5" deep.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
]I kind of have my next two pipes charted out. One will be a thick-walled, smaller chambered pipe for flakes and VAs. The other will be a wide, shallow bowl for English/Latakia blends, i.e. the kind of pipe I would have previously ignored because the chamber is less than 1.5" deep.
The thick walls and small chamber have been a revelation for me with flakes. It's why I bought the Castello 26 and 55.
Ditto for your english pipe goals. That's why I like the Savinelli 315KS. That and their Porto Cervo 122.
I also nabbed a cheap Sav quercia, which has the widest bowl i've ever friggin seen. It's also quite deep though. I Haven't used it yet, but it looks like it could fit a tin. 1.62 deep, 1.08 wide chamber, hahaha.
002-033-25575.jpg

frankrem

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 1, 2019
Huntsville, Arkansas
You might consider getting a smaller pipe for those days when your short on time or just want a little less. I only have 3 pipes being new to the whole pipe smoking world. 30min, 45min and 1hr+ pipe. I use my 30 min in the mornings before work when I want to enjoy a quick smoke. HR+ pipe for most of the other times I smoke. I would think the only thing you would be worried about is if you had to leave that pipe sit for more than a day or so. I wouldn't want the moisture sitting in my pipe that long.

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
99% humidity tends to turn the last part of any bowl into a wad of goo. It's like trying to smoke inside a sauna. Agree 100% that small bowls are the way to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.