Is it Legal for a US Piper to Ship Baccy to a Canadian Piper?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
A highly creditable legal professional on Forums advised me to list this on the customs form as a "pipe accessory." It went through just fine. I do not know the customs system nor enforcement, but I considered this some highly valuable pro bono advice. As we know, these systems are arbitrary and sometimes ridiculously unkind -- but mostly are not.
Add my own advice, inside the package, carefully label the baggie or tin (or whatever) with the words pipe tobacco and exact blend. If the package were inspected, this might allay suspicions that it is some kind of hard drug or some kind of agricultural contraband.

mayfair70

Lifer
Sep 14, 2015
To my knowledge, private transactions between individuals of different nations was still legal.

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
Legal? Yes.
The recipient in Canada may have to pay for customs and taxes however. MSO has a very good recommendation for filling out the customs forms.

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
Yeah it's legal to import tobacco into Canada from the USA, customs/duties federal and provincial taxes will be applied at the border in some cases, not in others.
Couple ounces is no trouble, no one cares - this is not a truckload of contraband cigs.
But if you start mailing pounds and pounds.... prepare to pay at the post office on the receiving end.

Status
Not open for further replies.