Is it just me? Latakia = Heartburn

(28 posts)
  • Started 9 months ago by lasttango
  • Latest reply from Olkofri
  1. lasttango

lasttango

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Latakia blends give me intense heartburn. It feels like acid starts churning in my stomach and starts bubbling up.

I love the smell and taste of Lat blends, but the pain of the heartburn makes it impossible for me to enjoy.

I can tolerate blends with a pinch of it, but not much more.

I tried some Father Dempsey this weekend. As great as it tasted, the heartburn kicked in big time and ruined it.

I am an cigarette ex-smoker (7 years off), and I do inhale pipe smoke a little... especially non-aromatic burley blends.

This only happens with Latakia blends... and it starts happening within 5 minutes of smoking it.

Does this happen to anyone else?

I can't think of anything else that I drink or eat that gives me heartburn... except the occasional late night meal.

A man that hoards up riches and enjoys them not, is like an ass that carries gold and eats thistles.
    -Richard Burton
    Posted 9 months ago #
  2. jrenko

jrenko

Login to Send PM

I guess that the problem is that you inhale. Mabey try focusing on not inhaling the smoke with a lighter blend and then after some practise you will quit that old habit of always inhaling.

Posted 9 months ago #
  3. artificialme

artificialme

Login to Send PM

I think that's happened to me for a few times I smoked pipe. Especially when using my Venini pipe. No matter what blend did I smoke, chest started to tightened and sometimes heartburn occurred. Try not to inhale. It helps me a lot. For a matter for the cause, maybe something in the latakia did it

Adhie was here
    Posted 9 months ago #
  4. chasingembers

Embers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

A friend of mine can't smoke Perique blends for the same reason. Any kind of Wintergreen chewing tobacco sets my stomach on fire.

Damnation seize my soul if I give you quarters, or take any from you.
    -Edward Teach
    Posted 9 months ago #
  5. unkleyoda

unkleyoda

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

This doesn't happen to me, but I do not inhale. I smoke almost exclusively Latakia blends. I do retro-hale nearly every puff.

Side note: I can't smoke burley blends. Burley, if used more than condimental levels, burns my mouth. I get sores and swelling from burley.

So you say you can drink? Well, I'm from Wisconsin. Try to keep up.
    Posted 9 months ago #
  6. jvnshr

jvnshr

Mod

Login to Send PM

I posted a comment about heartburn 2 years ago. Here is the link.

Dunhill Royal Yacht was giving me a heartburn if smoked too hot. I have been there feeling what you are feeling right now. I sat down and started thinking; who else may have a heartburn, but have to stay away from drugs and find a home remedy? Pregnant ladies! You know what pregnant ladies do when they have a heartburn? They drink a shot of pickle juice. Not sweet but salty ones.

I guess you know what causes a heartburn (acidic drinks, alcohol, soft drinks, junk food, tomato, etc.). Other than staying away from stimulants of heartburn, I take a shot of pickle juice whenever my GERD kicks in. It may a subjective solution though, give it a try and see if it works.

Javan
    Posted 9 months ago #
  7. bluto

bluto

Login to Send PM

I went thru a bout of heart burn awhile back , not smoking related , the medical advice is all the same ... use acid reducers , which I think treats the symptoms not the cause .

The long term solution I found was to reset to a healthy gut , surprisingly simple to do , avoid some things , no late nite snacks , eat more to support your natural metab , which is kinda different for each individual. No drama and it works .

“listen: there’s a hell
    of a good universe next door; let’s go”
    Posted 9 months ago #
  8. bassbug

bassbug

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It's not just you.

For me, it's the same 5 minutes, but the reaction is getting sick to my stomach. I'm not talking unsettled here, I'm saying full blown heaving...yuck!

I don't care who you are, you're not walking on the water while I'm fishing
    Posted 9 months ago #
  9. bluto

bluto

Login to Send PM

...drink a shot of pickle juice

Yup

Lots of other enzymatic foods too , try lemon and water , sauerkraut , pickles , kimchi ...

Posted 9 months ago #
  10. woodsroad

woodsroad

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I was going to say “Yes, it’s just you”, but obviously that’s not the case. I smoke straight Latakia, with no ill effect, but I don’t inhale. I think that’s your issue. You really don’t know exactly what Latakia was smoked with. The woods used contain a complex variety of oils.

Posted 9 months ago #
  11. bluto

bluto

Login to Send PM

My swmbo also took a low dose pyridoxine and antihistamine to help with nausea from being preggers , turns out to be ordinary vitamin b6 , found in bananas

Posted 9 months ago #
  12. voorhees

voorhees

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I suffer from heartburn occasionally. I use an inhibitor like Prilosec to keep it in control. I try to make sure I take the medicine but sometimes smoking will trigger it if I forget.

Jason
    Posted 9 months ago #
  13. scloyd

scloyd

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I had GERD really bad about 9-10 years ago and my doctor put me on a prescription drug (Aciphex) once a day. I lost 80 pounds about 6 years ago and changed my eating habits...that helped a lot. Doctor took me off Aciphex and now I take OTC medication as needed.

As to the original post. No, Latakia doesn't give me heartburn...I don't inhale though.

Posted 9 months ago #
  14. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

tried some Father Dempsey this weekend. As great as it tasted, the heartburn kicked in big time and ruined it

That is too bad. He always goes with me to the golf course.

This doesn't happen to me, but I do not inhale. I smoke almost exclusively Latakia blends. I do retro-hale nearly every puff.

Side note: I can't smoke burley blends. Burley, if used more than condimental levels, burns my mouth. I get sores and swelling from burley.

Same here. I have also a mental aversion to Burley.

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 9 months ago #
  15. cwpiperman

cwpiperman

Login to Send PM

Side note: I can't smoke burley blends. Burley, if used more than condimental levels, burns my mouth.

I have a similar issue with burley, not as severe, but mouth soreness when I smoke it in some blends, and always if I smoke it straight (i.e. Solani Aged Burley Flake)...

I can always tell if a blend has burley in it from the mouth sensation...this doesn't happen with other blends.

CW

Black Frigate Scurvy Dog, 4th Class...Savvy?

Posted 9 months ago #
  16. lasttango

lasttango

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thanks, that's a lot of very helpful information. I typically don't inhale pipe smoke because it is heavier and it can burn. I don't inhale the smoke like it was a cigarette, but I do like to let the smoke hit my throat (20% of the time during a bowl). I am okay with that. It seems that with Latakia I should never inhale.

Posted 9 months ago #
  17. stormydog

stormydog

Login to Send PM

The only thing I can think of that gives me heartburn like that is Pappa Johns pizza. Instant intense heartburn.

Posted 9 months ago #
  18. bluto

bluto

Login to Send PM

I haven’t tried smoking a pizza yet , but I’ll give it a whirl

Posted 9 months ago #
  19. stormydog

stormydog

Login to Send PM

With pizza you must not inhale

Posted 9 months ago #
  20. bnichols23

Bill Nichols

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

only happens with Latakia blends

Dang, tango, that just sucks. I'm sorry, man. And not inhaling either. Me, I'm like woods; I do lats either in heavy blends or straight, never a problem. Wish I could help. -sigh-

Bill

Head Black Frigate keelhauler, boss powder monkey, & troublemaker 1st class.
    Posted 9 months ago #
  21. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

'tango, if you only get reflux with Latakia, and are happy without it, you are lucky. Reflux can mess up your esophagus (food tube), so avoid any regular problem with that. One low dose OTC med helps me avoid reflux, with an extra now and then if I eat supper late or eat a heavy meal. My only direct identifiable problem with pipe blends has been mouth burn with some aromatics. I think Latakia is overused in pipe blends, but I do enjoy a number of Lat blends. Not really necessary to use it in every second blend in my 'umble opinion.

Posted 9 months ago #
  22. unadoptedlamp

unadoptedlamp

Login to Send PM

That's just your body gearing up for a massive jammer. Best to shrug it off and carry on like all good men do.

Posted 9 months ago #
  23. eggrollpiper

eggrollpiper

Login to Send PM

I've had reflux for about as long as I can remember, before ever trying tobacco. And so I've tried many approaches and have many thoughts on the subject. As with so many health issues it's a complicated one with many aspects. Wow how many more times can i say many? Anyway I'd rather not drone on though o I'll leave you with a preventive and a treatment, without affecting ability to consume the latakia if you so desire. One is eat more fresh fruits and vegetables, they will make you less acidic overall. And if it's bad and you feel like your stomach might digest the rest of you they try aloe Vera gel juice. Not the juice without the gel. The gel look like sea monkeys swiming in the juice but they are sweet morsels of relief. Or you can just get an aloe plant, cut a leaf open and suck out the contents but the juice has some sugar and goes down easier. It comes in square bottles from Korea mostly..
    I wish you luck in your battle with acid and if you desire the extended version of this just say the word.. haha..

Posted 9 months ago #
  24. sparroa

simenon

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Latakia and even dark fired can give me heartburn. I guess smoking is an irritant in general but smoke-flavoured tobacco is much worse for it. I find the same with peaty scotches, for example. Blended scotch or bourbon are usually fine but peaty single malts can be an instant trigger for me.

I can still smoke Virginias so that is the main thing...

Posted 9 months ago #
  25. User has not uploaded an avatar

derekflint

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Stop inhaling and see if still bothers you..........Stop inhaling altogether........

Posted 9 months ago #
  26. User has not uploaded an avatar

piper64

Login to Send PM

Do you fold and stuff the pizza before smoking

Faugh a Ballagh
    Posted 9 months ago #
  27. madox07

madox07

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Some sort of Virginia gives me heartburn, and I don't inhale. Smoking the blend with a filter was my solution. Actually ... Wild Atlantic by Peterson also gave me heartburn, same solution though.

Sea Wolf Pipers

"Like the mariners of old, a loner is acceptable but a pipe is best enjoyed in a pack"
    Posted 9 months ago #
  28. olkofri

Olkofri

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've never gotten heartburn from a blend yet. But I did get some nasty nausea from Sam's Blend. Shame, because I liked the taste of it.

Not the sweet, new grass with flowers is this harvesting of mine;
    Not the upland clover bloom...
    Posted 9 months ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   tufftony, paulfg