PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
Its been 4 months since I fist picked up a pipe (give or take a few days)
I've always enjoyed smoking Lane 1Q, so this afternoon I filled a bowl and lit up. Something was different...very different. I tasted no tobacco, just sweet.
I put the pipe down and filled a second pipe with some Mac Baren Original Choice. Its not a "strong" blend by any means when compared to others, but the taste was so much more pleasing. I sensed the tobacco taste in my mouth and on my tongue.
Am I heading toward (GASP) being an english blend smoker? I find myself preferring the taste of tobacco over the taste of the casing and topping.
Please tell me I'm not turning into a tobacco snob and will still enjoy an aromatic once in a while :crying:
What scares me most is that I'm going to eventually try and like a blend with latakia, and after all the horrible things I've said about it, I'll be eating crow for a long time :oops:

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
. Yep you're a snob, smoking with a Top Hat on. :rofl:

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
You are simply developing a better palate as far as flavors go. The trick is to find aromatics that have both a nice cased flavor and some real tobacco flavor, they are out there if you look. You might dip your toe into a mild Lakeland.

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
Please tell me I'm not turning into a tobacco snob and will still enjoy an aromatic once in a while
Bassbug, you are evolving a real tobacco taste that simple 1-Q will never satisfy. It has opened the door.
Nothing wrong at all, you've simply discovered what many already know . . . 1-Q is fine as a general all-around aro, but the taste is 2 dimensional, it can only take you so far. There is no /tobacco/ there, just a carrier for a sweet flavor. I have 1-Q and use it, but not by itself. Time for you to branch out and try other things.
Give up aros? Not at all? Lots of others to try. There are thousands all different. But you need to try other things: english, balkan blends, latakia, perique and orientals. No reason not to smoke them all.
Lakelands? Look it up. Named after the Lake District where they originated. Lots of differences there as well. Aros of a whole different breed. I like them. Others hate them. Some say they are perfumy, others call them soapy. But strong flavor and aroma that they have, unlike 1-Q, you also know you are smoking real tobacco.

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
toob,
2 dimensional describes what I was tasting exactly. Thanks for verbalizing it.
So what should be next on my list?
Something that is just one step "beyond" that Mac Baren Original Choice.

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
Next thing, you'll be favoring Dunhill lighters and wearing Sperry Top Siders in the middle of the winter
Promise you'll shoot me before that happens, pry my Zippo out of my cold dead hand and give it all to a grumpy old curmudgeon that has been smoking the same pipe for the last 35 years.
Dear God, what am I becoming?
A little too melodramatic? :rofl:

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
bassbug I have went though a similar experience, to the point I am afraid of sinking more money into aromatics in the search of the right one. I am afraid that I will keep spending money on flavored tobacco, opening tin after tin and not smoking it until I find the right one. Lakeland ... yes, I have heard that they are tobacco taste rich and aroma rich, but I can't find them in my area ...

aimlesswanderer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 25, 2016
I like cheesecake. I like bacon too. If I ate bacon and cheesecake all the time, I'd eventually tire of it. Nothing wrong with wanting change after a while.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
Here's a few things for you to try:
PS Luxury Twist Flake
McClellands Yenidje Highlander
H&H Blackhouse
Lakeland = bleh. It's like smoking your grandmothers floral soap.

josephcross

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 30, 2015
Crow can taste good, especially with Latakia.

+1 on that Blackhouse, its very good!

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
Can anyone comment of Mac Baren Scottish Blend?
The reviews seem decent and according to their sliding scale its just a little further along than original Choice.
EDIT: I just found the thread discussing this blend, so I'll post there.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
It's called TAD, tobacco acquisition disorder. Snobbery's got nothing to do with it. Reaching out in front of you as far as the eye can see are different blends of Va/Per, burley blends, Balkans, Orientals, English, Scottish, Cavendish, dark fired, and on. Hold yourself to a budget. Put your credit card in an inaccessible place.

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
You're palette is evolving. Not to worry, there are mild aromatics that will still suit you. Plus, it's always nice to change things up. You will probably do this more than once, and then have seasonal or periodic changes.

alexnorth

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 7, 2015
I like cheesecake. I like bacon too. If I ate bacon and cheesecake all the time, I'd eventually tire of it. Nothing wrong with wanting change after a while.
This! Everything that is good is good..

Status
Not open for further replies.