Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

fantastika

Lurker
May 5, 2016
Got this at an estate sale and have spent a couple of hours trying to find out anything about it. I even translated "smoking" and "tobacco pipe" to French and searched that way. Nothing. ("Paris" translates to "Paris" it's just spoken differently.)
The writing inside the case is ""L.B.D." and "Rue deRivoli 220." Rivoli Street was (still is) a very fashionable address in the Louvre District of Paris. But can find nothing doing Google search about a shop there today or in the past. It may be an apartment, that the residents knocked out the street wall and converted into a shop with their living quarters in the rear - this is what people do on commercial avenues in Russian cities.
I guessed this was a Meerschaum and won the bidding at $80. Now, looking at other Meerschaums on Google, they seem dissimilar, in that most of them have a face or figure. The only flora or fauna one might see here on this one are what look like claws, and the round half-globe might be an eye. Anyway, all the finely-detailed work someone has done on this, must have involved some time and effort.
Lastly, is it ivory?
The stem is amber or rosin, and was broken when I got it, so i glued it back together with a drop of super-glue. And used some steel wool to rub away the worst of the black-ashy residue around the rim...
IMG_7010.JPG

IMG_7012.JPG

IMG_7016.JPG

IMG_7017.JPG

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
It looks like meer to me, but I am far from being an expert. $80 sounds like a fair price ...

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Paris and Vienna were the center for the meerschaum pipe trade until Turkey banned the export of unfinished meerschaum which effectively killed off these centers of excellence. I have written on here about the meerschaum pipe shop in Paris I visited in the early 1980s which was run by the son of the founder that was still refurbishing pipes for its aging clientele. The proprietor was very old, he fought in WW1 but he had the most fantastic shop, work rooms and front window display. Its now a coffee shop of some kind as I looked for the place the last time I was in Paris about five years ago. You paid a reasonable price for the pipe although it looks like the bowl has suffered from over reaming at some stage in its life but I am sure it will smoke just fine.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
"Is it ivory"? 10000 to 1, no. But if it is, you may have a very valuable piece!
But you have a nice meer, chamber is a shambles with bad cake/reaming, but that can be fixed. As Simon says, it should smoke fine.

fantastika

Lurker
May 5, 2016
You don't remember the street address by any chance? Was it near the Louvre?
This pipe seems different from most Meerschaums in that it is more "abstract design" than a model of a person, plant or animal, so i was suspicious that it was a Meerschaum.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
The address of the seller is opposite Les Tuileries, about 4 blocks West of the Louvre. But you're asking Simon for his address, no?
The carving is similar to many other meers I have seen at pipe shows and online.

fantastika

Lurker
May 5, 2016
Do you think it an "abstract design" or "geometric play," or does it represent something? I can see the claws, but that's all, maybe it's a sea monster :)

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
The shop I remember was in the vicinity of Rue de L'Opera although all of Paris looks much the same to me with the exception of that copy of the tower thingy they have in Blackpool. Its a very nice place and it would be brilliant if they spoke English, had Fish & Chip shops and sold British OTC tobaccos. Its a great city but the only draw back is its full of French people! :rofl:

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
Is it ivory"? 10000 to 1, no.
Ivory would be a very hard bone. Meer is a softy mineral. Ivory is also much denser / heavier. Tapping on the bowl with a metal rod, Ivory would have more of a ring / click whereas meer would have more of a thunk. Should be pretty easy to tell apart in some inconspicuous place.

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
Gives new meaning to the phrase: "Smokin' the bone." :mrgreen:
Seriously, I don't know why ivory would not work well!

tschiraldi

Lifer
Dec 14, 2015
Ohio
It's a classic "Egg in Eagle Claw" design. the design is very common in Meers. Simply do a search on Yahoo, Google, or even Ebay for "Claw Meerschaum" and you'll find many of them

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
fantastika I have seen pictures of meers with that "claw" design type beneath the bowl before, but not the rest of the lizard scale design. I may have read too much fantasy, but the whole design thing brings a dragon to mind ...

fantastika

Lurker
May 5, 2016
Thanks, everyone, for all the help. "Claw Meerschaum" does yield a lot of similar-looking results. I really appreciate the information. I'm gonna take it to Ellie Lou tomorrow, she's our local expert on turquoise, Ivory, silver, etc. I'm kinda hoping it might be ivory, but kinda not hoping, because it seems to be illegal to even get near ivory.

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
Don't expect it to be ivory. But I suppose anything can happen.
Probably better off because I've heard some people get into big trouble just saying the word! They might even confiscate it off of you. Not sure but I think it is a crime to buy/sell/trade ivory, so if you don't get busted, anyone buying it off of you might!
Or maybe I just heard totally wrong.
Of course, I don't get why people cannot collect ivory from dead elephants (naturally dead) or grow elephants in captivity for their ivory. Not promoting it but it is done with just about everything else! Ivory really made nice stuff!

fantastika

Lurker
May 5, 2016
I'll have to settle for a new battery. Bringing back my loot from the estate sale, and moving the treasures from car to house, I left the door cracked open overnight, and today the battery, the Walmart $40 special, has gone belly up.

Status
Not open for further replies.