PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
No, I don't really think email is dead, but neither do I think it's in good shape. It has gone the way of FAX, a means of passing along documents and longer form text, but no longer an active and energetic flow of communications on daily events. That has been picked up by texting, by social media to some extent though Face Book and others are also somewhat in retreat, by instagram, and soon by the next online gimmick that makes some hyperactive college undergraduate a billionaire emperor. Or is that just the green devil talking. Hey, I wouldn't want to be Mark, or even Bill ... just have their infinite resources, I suppose. Who uses email? I still do, because I'm so un-tech, but I think I'm retrogressive in this. People don't look at their email, don't answer it, have to be prompted if something is sent that way, by phone or text or some other means. People don't like to have to construct complete sentences with punctuation and paragraphing. They like three-four letter acronym "words." Hash tags which have ambiguous status and meaning, pretense of meaning.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I rec'd over 200 emails today at work....the last time I took a week off (Christmas), I came back to 1200 emails

There are 21,000 emails in the Deleted folder of my Outlook, dating back 12 months.

There is just over 2,000 emails from PipesMagazine, in that folder for thread notifications. Add another 1,000 or so in the folders for the two classifieds sections (I get the RSS feed for those two, and see every post)

I only wish email was dead.....

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
Of course it's not dead. People use email in every company, every day.

I handle about a dozen a day, between pipe stuff and "real work", sometimes more than that.
But every order I place for briar? Email.
Every window or door I buy... email. Quotations? Email.
Are there other ways to ship data? Yeah of course, but email is still the handiest way to send and receive attachments of varying sorts, so it isn't going away soon.

mechanic

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 1, 2018
I get a lot of emails from people like mr. John williams from the international monetary fund seems the us secret service told him i had been scammed by someone so they wanna give me extra money back.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Imagine all the cobs I could buy if I helped the Nigerian prince...
Eh, my E-mail isn't dead, but it's been relegated mostly to notifications and spam. Most typing I do is on forums like this one.
I am punctilious about spelling and grammar, though. It's not uncommon that I hit the Edit button on my fresh posts a number of times to go back and correct a typo or error. Even when I text I am careful about spelling and grammar, hence my slow text-reply speed.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Email may be on life support for social communications but is alive and well for business. I consider texting as quick his, somewhere between a phone call and email. It has its place but doesn't replace email for me.

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
These guys are the pros where the future of email is concerned: https://www.radicati.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2018/12/Email-Statistics-Report-2019-2023-Executive-Summary.pdf. If you want the whole report you'll have to sell a few high grade pipes and cough up $2500.
If you're satisfied with the executive summary, Radicati is projecting continued annual growth of a bit over 4% for the foreseeable future. Average daily emails are expected to be about 293,000,000,000 this year. If you omit emails selling erectile dysfunction medication the daily average is twelve.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I don't get emails from anyone but those on my list. Well, I may get them but, I never see them. It' still too many in my opinion. I get a lot of messages where I think the sender was simply bored or else was worried I might be. Trivia, information of no import, how last nights dinner went, all sorts of stuff I care nothing about.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
There's either been a sizable shrinkage in E.D. e-mails or my filters are working better- no, just checked the junk files, and none in there, either.
Seldom see a Nigerian Prince or widow these days, either. Ah, the good old days. Also, those emails that have been forwarded two dozen times - I am down to one, my M.I.L. She's 85, so it's all ok.
On the rise: A lot of lovely Asian women want to meet me.
There may be a pun or two in this post.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
I'm at a desktop, so two emails are always open. Texting is useful for quick communication, but I don't let my email push to my phone, the notifications would drive me crazy.
:)

davek

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 20, 2014
E-mail is still big in a corporate setting as has been said. You can communicate info and needs and the person reviews it when they check their e-mail and they are ready to work on it. I like it for dealing with doctors and businesses for the same reason. It's not as immediate as text but it normally gets reviewed daily and it gets tasks done.
I do have some kind of look at me as old fashioned for liking e-mail. It's funny since I relied on e-mail quite a bit many years ago when it was kinda cutting edge. Such is life.
Most of my spam is regarding increasing penis size, eliminating my mortgage, or dating sites.
If I had a bigger penis and my house was paid off, I wouldn't need a dating site.

It just depends on the type of interactions that I want to engage in, usually determined by the information that I either want to convey or collect. When I need to convey some intricate information, I use email, but when I am trying to pull information from a client that I am trying to design something for, I will text. What is dead, or dead-er, is calling someone. It is too immediate and infringes on my (or my client's) time at that exact moment, which may or may not be convenient.
I still deal with some businesses that use fax, so I keep my rattly old fax machine going, so that I can send and receive invoices from them. These are mostly from older companies that just don't care about technology. Miners, they could careless about having a smart phone. Or, these don't work hundreds of yards under the ground.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
My email is not dead. I maintain one email for my business and one for personal use. With email being able to send larger attachments it's only getting more efficient.

Status
Not open for further replies.