Pipes Magazine » General Discussion

Tags:   

Is Email Dead?

(41 posts)
  1. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

No, I don't really think email is dead, but neither do I think it's in good shape. It has gone the way of FAX, a means of passing along documents and longer form text, but no longer an active and energetic flow of communications on daily events. That has been picked up by texting, by social media to some extent though Face Book and others are also somewhat in retreat, by instagram, and soon by the next online gimmick that makes some hyperactive college undergraduate a billionaire emperor. Or is that just the green devil talking. Hey, I wouldn't want to be Mark, or even Bill ... just have their infinite resources, I suppose. Who uses email? I still do, because I'm so un-tech, but I think I'm retrogressive in this. People don't look at their email, don't answer it, have to be prompted if something is sent that way, by phone or text or some other means. People don't like to have to construct complete sentences with punctuation and paragraphing. They like three-four letter acronym "words." Hash tags which have ambiguous status and meaning, pretense of meaning.

Posted 4 months ago #
  2. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

I rec'd over 200 emails today at work....the last time I took a week off (Christmas), I came back to 1200 emails
    There are 21,000 emails in the Deleted folder of my Outlook, dating back 12 months.
    There is just over 2,000 emails from PipesMagazine, in that folder for thread notifications. Add another 1,000 or so in the folders for the two classifieds sections (I get the RSS feed for those two, and see every post)
    I only wish email was dead.....

Al

Posted 4 months ago #
  3. sasquatch

sasquatch

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Of course it's not dead. People use email in every company, every day.
    I handle about a dozen a day, between pipe stuff and "real work", sometimes more than that.

But every order I place for briar? Email.

Every window or door I buy... email. Quotations? Email.

Are there other ways to ship data? Yeah of course, but email is still the handiest way to send and receive attachments of varying sorts, so it isn't going away soon.

Posted 4 months ago #
  4. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I wish!

A man without a shillelagh is a man without an expedient.
    Posted 4 months ago #
  5. mechanic

mechanic

Login to Send PM

I get a lot of emails from people like mr. John williams from the international monetary fund seems the us secret service told him i had been scammed by someone so they wanna give me extra money back.

"I'm a kind person, I'm kind to everyone, but if you are unkind to me, then kindness is not what you will remember me for." - Al Capone
    Posted 4 months ago #
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Fax is dead. Email will not die in the foreseeable future, because of its use in business environments and its use in internet accounts and services. You need an email address to use social media. That said, when I want to send something to friends and family, I prefer writing out letters to with a nice fountain pen that matches my writing style

Posted 4 months ago #
  7. olkofri

Olkofri

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Imagine all the cobs I could buy if I helped the Nigerian prince...

Eh, my E-mail isn't dead, but it's been relegated mostly to notifications and spam. Most typing I do is on forums like this one.

I am punctilious about spelling and grammar, though. It's not uncommon that I hit the Edit button on my fresh posts a number of times to go back and correct a typo or error. Even when I text I am careful about spelling and grammar, hence my slow text-reply speed.

Not the sweet, new grass with flowers is this harvesting of mine;
    Not the upland clover bloom...
    Posted 4 months ago #
  8. hoosierpipeguy

hoosierpipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Email may be on life support for social communications but is alive and well for business. I consider texting as quick his, somewhere between a phone call and email. It has its place but doesn't replace email for me.

Posted 4 months ago #
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

jguss

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

These guys are the pros where the future of email is concerned: https://www.radicati.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2018/12/Email-Statistics-Report-2019-2023-Executive-Summary.pdf. If you want the whole report you'll have to sell a few high grade pipes and cough up $2500.

If you're satisfied with the executive summary, Radicati is projecting continued annual growth of a bit over 4% for the foreseeable future. Average daily emails are expected to be about 293,000,000,000 this year. If you omit emails selling erectile dysfunction medication the daily average is twelve.

Posted 4 months ago #
  10. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I don't get emails from anyone but those on my list. Well, I may get them but, I never see them. It' still too many in my opinion. I get a lot of messages where I think the sender was simply bored or else was worried I might be. Trivia, information of no import, how last nights dinner went, all sorts of stuff I care nothing about.

Posted 4 months ago #
  11. hoosierpipeguy

hoosierpipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

If you omit emails selling erectile dysfunction medication the daily average is twelve.

I don't get any of those. Perhaps you're clicking on the wrong links.

Posted 4 months ago #
  12. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

If you omit emails selling erectile dysfunction medication the daily average is twelve.

I bet you clear that browser history pretty regularly.

Posted 4 months ago #
  13. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

There's either been a sizable shrinkage in E.D. e-mails or my filters are working better- no, just checked the junk files, and none in there, either.

Seldom see a Nigerian Prince or widow these days, either. Ah, the good old days. Also, those emails that have been forwarded two dozen times - I am down to one, my M.I.L. She's 85, so it's all ok.

On the rise: A lot of lovely Asian women want to meet me.

There may be a pun or two in this post.

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 4 months ago #
  14. trouttimes

trouttimes

Login to Send PM

I wish emails were dead but I do like them for records of correspondence.

“The Road goes ever on and on Down from the door where it began.
    Now far ahead the Road has gone, I must follow if I can
    Posted 4 months ago #
  15. dmcmtk

dmcmtk

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm at a desktop, so two emails are always open. Texting is useful for quick communication, but I don't let my email push to my phone, the notifications would drive me crazy.

Dave
    Duke Street Irregular
    Posted 4 months ago #
  16. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

Yeah...email is definitely not dead. Given that I average 70 emails a day to my home and a like number at work, definitely not dead. I wish it were, but it ain't.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

It is pointless to argue with a fanatic since a dim bulb can't be converted into a searchlight. - Jesse Silver
    Posted 4 months ago #
  17. davek

davek

Login to Send PM

E-mail is still big in a corporate setting as has been said. You can communicate info and needs and the person reviews it when they check their e-mail and they are ready to work on it. I like it for dealing with doctors and businesses for the same reason. It's not as immediate as text but it normally gets reviewed daily and it gets tasks done.

I do have some kind of look at me as old fashioned for liking e-mail. It's funny since I relied on e-mail quite a bit many years ago when it was kinda cutting edge. Such is life.

Most of my spam is regarding increasing penis size, eliminating my mortgage, or dating sites.

If I had a bigger penis and my house was paid off, I wouldn't need a dating site.

Posted 4 months ago #
  18. mikethompson

mikethompson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Email is my primary form of correspondence. If I had a cell phone maybe I would text, but email is still alive and well around here.

Posted 4 months ago #
  19. paulie66scandinavian

Paul

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Many outfits in Germany and England say'You can always send your order to us by Fax

Paul The Scandinavian'
    Posted 4 months ago #
  20. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It just depends on the type of interactions that I want to engage in, usually determined by the information that I either want to convey or collect. When I need to convey some intricate information, I use email, but when I am trying to pull information from a client that I am trying to design something for, I will text. What is dead, or dead-er, is calling someone. It is too immediate and infringes on my (or my client's) time at that exact moment, which may or may not be convenient.

I still deal with some businesses that use fax, so I keep my rattly old fax machine going, so that I can send and receive invoices from them. These are mostly from older companies that just don't care about technology. Miners, they could careless about having a smart phone. Or, these don't work hundreds of yards under the ground.

Michael
    Posted 4 months ago #
  21. pappymac

pappymac

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My email is not dead. I maintain one email for my business and one for personal use. With email being able to send larger attachments it's only getting more efficient.

I am glad we have a good admin and responsible moderators.

Heave to you dark colored ship under sail! Prepare to be boarded!
    Posted 4 months ago #
  22. prndl

prndl

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Mine sure ain't dead.

I never knew I had so many damn uncles.

Home is the sailor, home from sea,
    And the hunter home from the hill.
    Posted 4 months ago #
  23. trouttimes

trouttimes

Login to Send PM

What's the deal with the medical profession and faxes? Isn't it time for them to move into this century?

Posted 4 months ago #
  24. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

There are fax apps, so that you don't need a fax machine anymore, but you need something that you can transfer filled out documents with actual signatures on them. Those Verisign things, I just don't trust them. All they do is send the IP of the computer used, and most of us have computers that are shared by the whole house. You don't actually need a fax machine. Just snap a picture of the document and send via a fax app, which is a lot more reliable than sending an email with the doc enclosed.

Posted 4 months ago #
  25. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Point taken. I should know, combing through emails every day to delete all the endless spam. I guess I feel a change in the way email is used, and the fact that people don't use it for personal contacts as often, or in the same way, and often don't read or respond. Something's changed. So, no, email is alive and huge, in its way. Give someone a thrill and send them a snail mail; or at least, that is to say, I have had some strong upbeat responses to sending real letters, it is such an unusual experience in this day and time. Your letter will be buried in the usual junk mail, but if it gets sorted out, your reader may experience a thrill.

Posted 4 months ago #
  26. pylorns

James Foster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Primer on the medical industry and fax - they view faxes as the only secure way to transmit confidential information - there is no good wholistic method of transmitting from provider-to-provider patient info because not everyone uses secure email portals etc.... and no one is on the same EMR system.

Posted 4 months ago #
  27. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yes, FAX has some specific uses and is in certain applications irreplaceable. At work, we had a young intern, a real sharp woman who could make computers sing, but when we asked her to FAX something, her face went blank -- and this was maybe fifteen or eighteen years ago! That technology was too old fashioned for her. May as well have asked her to shoe a horse.

Posted 4 months ago #
  28. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I can still shoe a horse. Well, if my back allows for such.

Posted 4 months ago #
  29. ron123

ron123

Login to Send PM

Teenagers almost exclusively seem to not use email for communicating...just my personal observation. That being said, I deal with way more(emails, not teenagers) than I care to every day just like the rest of you. So, yeah, I wish it was dead

Posted 4 months ago #
  30. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I can still shoe a horse. Well, if my back allows for such.

Excellent! I can still shoe myself, and don't even want to think about my back.

I remember as a kid the smithy coming around to shoe my sister's horses. What a fascinating operation he had!

Posted 4 months ago #
  31. brian64

brian64

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Email dead?

I didn't even realize rotary phones were dead until I saw this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHNEzndgiFI

“Bipartisan usually means some larger-than-usual deception is being carried out.” – George Carlin
    Posted 4 months ago #
  32. User has not uploaded an avatar

ukbob

Login to Send PM

Emails dead I wish.

Posted 4 months ago #
  33. mikethompson

mikethompson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I haven't even seen a Fax machine in ages, although I think my printer might be able to fax.

Posted 4 months ago #
  34. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My printer/scanner thingy also send faxs. I still see dedicated fax machines at the electronic stores, but I think that people use the fax apps more. I know that my layer prefers PDF's, but I am not sure if they realize how easy it is to fake a document in Photoshop or a PDF program, and then save it as a PDF.

Posted 4 months ago #
  35. admin

Kevin Godbee

Smoking a Pipe Right Now

Login to Send PM

Who remembers the telex machine?

Back when the telex was common for overseas communications was the time you had to ask if someone had a fax machine you could send them something on - because they weren't that common yet.

I use text and FB Messenger for nearly all personal communication.

I use email almost solely for business - sending proposals, invoices, filing communications & agreements in folders for safe keeping.

In my other website publishing operation, all of my writers are 20-somethings that use text for 90% of their communication, which is one big reason I'm glad I switched to Mac 2-years ago - you can text from your desktop computer.

Check Out Our - Pipes Podcast
    Posted 4 months ago #
  36. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Kevin, you are pretty nimble in the digital world. I'm so quirky about adapting to new tech, I feel it's held me back, though I'd likely be just where I am anyway. My ten-year-old Mac desktop stopped sending updates to the search engine many moons ago, and I can open about a third of web sites not including many of my favorites like smokingpipes.com. I know some seniors who enjoy the challenge of technology almost as much as kids, though the kids have the advantage of having grown up with digital, and regarding even practical uses as a sort of game, rather than a frustration and humiliation. My work place training on the ancient and discontinued DEC PC systems was like aversion therapy, and I never quite fell in step with the mainline Microsoft and Apple worlds, but Apple works better for me and my "condition." Anyway, your shifts from different platforms, and your adaptation to generational norms is pretty nifty. Keep up the good work, as they say.

Posted 4 months ago #
  37. didimauw

didimauw

Mod

Login to Send PM

Email in my world is on life support. I purposely try to use it to keep it alive. But I don't do Facebook, so I mainly text for everything.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
    Posted 4 months ago #
  38. User has not uploaded an avatar

instymp

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

How can you retrieve a read/deleted text? I really don't know how, Iphone 8 & Verizon.
    I can with an email.
    I also print out all on paper that I have to keep.
    Paperless ????, I am buying the paper & ink & printer so it isn't paperless, just shifted cost to the recipient and away from sender/vendor/Gov. et all.

Posted 4 months ago #
  39. ashdigger

ashdigger

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I live and die by email for my business. My personal life is phone calls and limitrd texts. I prefer to talk to someone than wear my thumbs out.

Ubi Ignis Est?
    Posted 4 months ago #
  40. User has not uploaded an avatar

dare66

Login to Send PM

The only place I use email is at work. I get about 30-50 a day.

Posted 4 months ago #
  41. User has not uploaded an avatar

instymp

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Ashdigger, +111

Posted 4 months ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   jaytex969, georged, cortezattic, lukasstrifeson