PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cohibajoe

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 2, 2018
Branchburg, NJ
Father's Day is soon...the wife said to spend $500. SP (VIP Silver) offers 15% off New Dunhill Pipes.
There are a number Brands to choose from in this $$ range and looking over my collection(28)...Made in England is

stamped on 60% of them. I have 1 Dunhill in mind.

floridapipeman

Might Stick Around
Jun 3, 2018
Personally I think they're overpriced but hey, what do I know. :lol: I'd take a high end Meer any day. And, that my 2 cents.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Several artisans can make you pipe for that price, or you may even find a birthyear Dunhill for half of that price. After 3, I gave up on them.
20180317_122707.jpg

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
Strictly my own perspective, but I've always felt they were overly proud of their products. I bought one on a European trip back in '74 because I wanted a pipe souvenir of England. It smoked OK, but not that much better than any of my others. It was stolen from the pipe shop I was working at later & I never replaced it.
They're OK, certainly. If you like the Dunhill mystique, why not, go for it. :)
BTW, chasingembers uses them for gardening, so don't expect much support from him. -chuckle-

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Go ahead and get a Dunhill, but first you have to be comfortable with them being 100% overpriced. Factory pipes hand-finished. You can do much better.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
To answer the OP.... no more than any other good pipe. I'd commission a pipe from Ryan Alden or buy a pre-WWII of anything. I own a little over a dozen Dunhills, but I own 21 Ryan Aldens.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Objects are worth what someone will pay for them, and over the past sixty years or so, hundreds of thousands (I'd guess) have found Dunhills worth their price. They've never been worth it to me, new or used. I think they're handsome pipes; I like the traditions and classic shapes they do; and I like that they are identifiable with specific dates as birth year (or anniversary, or whatever) pipes. A number of Forums members have given them either bad reviews or highly mixed reviews, as when someone has more than one Dunhill that isn't a good smoke. But to many, Dunhills are absolutely worth it at their asking prices. Every year or two, I ask myself if I'd like to locate a well preserved Dunhill estate pipe, and I've decided no.

seacaptain

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
I've owned several Dunhills, and I've owned $40 pipes also. Dunhills are better quality for sure, but in my opinion, not 5X better quality than a $100 pipe.
Ultimately, mid priced pipes like Savinelli became the sweet spot for me - quality pipes at a $100-$250 price. I'd MUCH rather have 2-3 nice Savinelli pipes instead of a Dunhill.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Yeah, like so many other things in the hobby, personal preference & worth it if you personally feel it is.
Yup. Just don't get into a bidding war over one. Easy to spend far more than intended!

Oct 7, 2016
To the OP, if you want a Dunhill by all means get one. Consider also the offerings of places like Al Pascia, Bollito and James Barber, generally much cheaper after the VAT is taken off.

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
>>"Yup. Just don't get into a bidding war over one. Easy to spend far more than intended!" -- Brother, ain't THAT th' revolvin' truth?! Just one of the reasons I keep a jaundiced eye on my fleabay bidding. If it's a Dunhill, *this* little black duck ain't going over $40. Ever. :twisted:

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Even if I wasn't just collecting American carvers and Petersons I'd still rather put the money into any artisan carver instead of a Dunhill. For the price you can get a lot more from an artisan than Dunhill. If you're really set on a Dunhill then I'd say go with an estate one not a new one.

mwsmoker

Might Stick Around
Sep 15, 2017
I have reduced my pipe collection over the years, as I got tired of storing more than smoking. I have about 30 left that I smoke regularly, and I have a strict one in one out policy on new acquisitions. That said, I have 7 Dunhills, 7 Castellos, 7 Tinskys, 1 S. Bang, 1 W.O. Larsen, etc.
New Dunhills are overpriced. Pristine older Dunhills are an excellent value if you prefer traditional shapes and proportions as I do. Dunhill have always been on the expensive side, and people have always been willing to pay a premium for them. There’s a good reason. No one makes consistently better smoking traditional pipes with excellent stems at their price point (IMO).

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Plus, new Dunhills aren't even Dunhills anymore. They're "The White Spot". Are they even made in England anymore?

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
No one makes consistently better smoking traditional pipes with excellent stems at their price point (IMO).
My first one was a straight Ruby Bark billiard that had drilling that would not pass a pipe cleaner.

Status
Not open for further replies.