Is Daughters & Ryan Tobacco Still Producing?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know that Pipes and Cigars and Smoking Pipes has cut back their offerings from D&R, because I can't even find a link to the products that I fell in love with from them, especially Rowland Platinum. There's not even a "back ordered" or "out of stick" notation, just gone.
Does anyone know is D&R has stopped production of some of their blends? I certainly hope they haven't stopped making Rowland Platinum. That was some great stuff. I should have stocked up earlier. :?

edgreen

Lifer
Aug 28, 2013
I can't seem to find them anymore where I bought all my Rimboche SJ. That would be sad. I hope that won't affect St. James perique. I'm pretty sure Mark Ryan has both.

blendtobac

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
We still have most of the D&R tobaccos, including Rowland Platinum. You can either search for it or go under Daughters and Ryan under brands. You'll find Rowland Platinum listed with the other Rowland blends. D&R is doing fine, and we still sell at lot of their tobaccos.
Russ

supdog

Can't Leave
Nov 10, 2012
Cosmic, here's a link.
http://www.pipesandcigars.com/brands/1703/daughters-ryan/?type=Pipe+Tobacco

I ended up asleep on the porch when I first tried this blend. The Rowland Platinum is the best of the Rowlands. It has a whisper of Madura leaf, and a fantastic taste for such a strong blend. Sometimes it's difficult smoking a such a strong blend that has a balanced taste, without overwhelming your taste buds. And, it'll kick you in the gut if you're not careful. Good stuff.

The way P&C has stacked the blends is crazy. Even though they are all Rowlands, they aren't even close in taste, so you can't tell what one blend is from another. And, the tins of Platinum aren't available. At least they still have the blends, just not in the same forms. I've found that the bagged versions are better for the RYO crowd. Even if they both say they are the same blends, they aren't the same cuts. The tins are way better for pipes, IMO.
I think D&R needs some marketing helps. His selection of names is random and boring. And, I know he wants the design work on the tins to have that old timey feel, but it would be nice to get a description of some sort on the tins. And, what's up with Platinum, Gold, and Silver. These names all seem too cigarette-ish. He really needs someone to kick him in the pants and get him to be a little more creative. These tobaccos are too good to keep getting the back row treatment, IMO.
The way P&C have stacked them multiplies the difficulty of finding and selecting a blend.

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
These tobaccos are too good to keep getting the back row treatment
I've tried to sit down with Mark a couple times in Chicago and tell him the same thing but something always comes up and we never get too far into it.

For the life of me, I can't understand why the products don't get better marketing. The only thing that makes sense to me is that he just doesn't want to sell more. Sounds pretty dumb at first, but it may be true. Could be the production and quality and distribution is right where he wants it to be, so why mess up a good thing ?
And, it'll kick you in the gut if you're not careful.
Try some Picayune some time if you want a kick in the gut. Be forewarned, you will *probably* not like or be able to finish the smoke. It is Potent (capital "P")

Status
Not open for further replies.