Is Cornell & Diehl the Only Company Making New Blends?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jon11

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 25, 2013
Is there any other company releasing new tobacco blends, bc C&D seems to still be rolling them out, just released 5 today.
Edited by jvnshr: Title fixed.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I'm not sure how they're getting around the Rule, which froze new blends after August 8th 2016 unless they were first approved by the FDA. What they might have done, which was done by other blenders, is to have recorded a sale of the blends prior to the August 8th 2016 cutoff. Either that, or they're counting on the FDA not going after them.

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
Check this thread Sable.
Me:
Cornell & Diehl produced 2400 tins of Straight Up English as a special tribute to the film.
jmatt:
Likely in violation of the FDA regs.
swilford:
It is fully in compliance. If you have specific concerns about regulatory compliance and/or would like a detailed explanation of why this is perfectly compliant, you're more than welcome to contact us directly.
So, I would eliminate this assumption:
or they're counting on the FDA not going after them.

brightleaf

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 4, 2017
Maybe looking at their tin description will give us a clue? From Miskatonic Mixture "Amidst the old tomes in a remote corner of the library, you discover an obscure reference." Their blends may draw inspiration from old books, and their ability to work with the rules may draw from a careful reading of those rules. Maybe other companies could learn to research secrets on how to get blends out. Gimmicky or not, a blend promoting the researching of occult books in the forgotten corner of an old ivy league school is a gimmick that works on me.

ericusrex

Lifer
Feb 27, 2015
I agree with newbroom. They have what, 200+ blends out there and only a couple dozen or so are great. That's a lot of 'meh.'

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
How is it diluting its brand? C&D seems to always have new and different blends with esoteric or oddball (aka cool) names. What are they diluting?

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
It seems that buying within 'the community' has its own demographics and the one's that result in money spent are the ones that get attention.

"new" blends in the world of more than 6,000? Must be good!

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"Hasn't GH and SG put out a few since the FDA stuff?"
Gawith & Hoggarth and Samuel Gawith are not affected by any stupid FDA legislation, they're British and therefore only affected by any rules our government create.
As to whether they can be imported to the US, well that's another matter all together.
Regards,
Jay.

No, the cigar branded blends by Lane definitely came out after the FDA stuff. And, new blends are still hitting the shelves at The Briary. I don't think we are seeing "more" new blends than normal, but they're definitely trickling in.

I think that with Swillford's post and things I hear the cigar reps say as they fraternize with the pipe lounge, maybe our assumptions as laymen all participating on a forum is not as informed as the guys in the business? Just a guess... I don't know about you guys, but I definitely haven't been keeping my bar exam creds up to date. And, to tell the truth, people were being rather hysterical on those FDA threads a while back.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
Gawith & Hoggarth and Samuel Gawith are not affected by any stupid FDA legislation, they're British and therefore only affected by any rules our government create.
They are if they are selling those new products in the States.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Check this thread Sable.
Me:
Cornell & Diehl produced 2400 tins of Straight Up English as a special tribute to the film.
jmatt:
Likely in violation of the FDA regs.
swilford:
It is fully in compliance. If you have specific concerns about regulatory compliance and/or would like a detailed explanation of why this is perfectly compliant, you're more than welcome to contact us directly.
So, I would eliminate this assumption:
or they're counting on the FDA not going after them.
I read the thread. Sykes states that they're in full compliance. Later in the thread jmatt, who, IRRC, is an attorney with knowledge in these matters asks them to explain how that is the case in the thread and they don't offer a response. So I don't think that that thread really answers anything. Being a re-release would not offer an exemption.
But there is a workaround that I know about, which is to record a sale for a blend before August 8th of 2016. The blend may not be on the shelves, but it technically is in the marketplace before the cutoff date because an order has gone in for it and a sale is recorded. Perhaps C&D created a number of these prior to the cutoff date. If not, it would be nice to hear them explain how they're doing it.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
In order for these "new' blends to be FDA compliant, they were either created and sold (quietly and on a very limited basis) prior to August of 2016, or they are not new blends at all, but rather rebranded old blends.

lestrout

Lifer
Jan 28, 2010
Chester County, PA
Yo sab
As wood said: " and sold (quietly and on a very limited basis) prior to August": one of the many benefits of being in pipe clubs is that Morley's was the beneficiary of a bunch of these priors.
hp

les

Status
Not open for further replies.