Is Cavendish & Stoved Virginia The Same Thing?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

randelli

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 21, 2015
I have been playing around with blending tobaccos and have two that I really like. Brazos is 4/3/2/1 red virginia, white burley, latakia, and perique. Chisholm Trail is 4/4/1/1 red virginia, latakia, white burley, and perique. So tasty!
I have a new one, Trinity River, that I just tried last night. It is 5/2.5/2.5 white burley, stoved virginia, and perique. Oh my! Nutty, sweet, spicy, lots of smoke. It can get a little hot if you are not careful. The scent stays on the beard for a long time. It reminds me of a blend your grampa would smoke when you were a kid. I say yours because mine didn't smoke :)
The sweetness of the stoved virginia made me think of cavendish in all those aromatic blends. Are they the same thing by a different name?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I don't know the exact difference, but I believe the Cavendish process is more than just stoving. No doubt our tobacco guys will have the specifics.

blendtobac

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
In the US, black Cavendish is usually made of Burley that's been sweetened and toasted. The European companies typically use Virginia to make theirs. So what we yanks call stoved black Virginia may well be similar to what a European company would refer to as black Cavendish.
Russ

Reactions: perdurabo

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Russ knows. Here's a link that mentions pressure and steaming:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cavendish_tobacco

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Fascinating. I've got to order some of both and try them. I remember reading somewhere that the Cavendish process involved fermentation, and as a fairly fermented person, I am always interested when something is getting fermented.

randelli

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 21, 2015
Thanks Russ! I thought they were similar.
Hey for giggles, do you have any blends in the proportions listed above?

blendtobac

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
Hey for giggles, do you have any blends in the proportions listed above?
Not really. I find that the stoved black burns a bit hot, so when I use it, it's in condimental amounts.
Russ

alphacitybill

Lurker
Jun 26, 2016
I use Stoved Black Virginia in a 1:1 ratio with Latakia and the blend is mild and comfortable all day. The question, however, before the group...
P&C stocks (or at least used to stock) both...and the blends made from Black Cavendish and Stoved Black Virginia were, to my taste and tongue, decidedly different--even when the only change was swapping out the Cavendish for the SBV...

black Cavendish is usually made of Burley that's been sweetened and toasted

Interesting. When I got into growing tobacco and lurking in the grower's forums, I found that making Cavendish to be a little more "involved" than this suggests. To me toasted means heated dry, as in making toast. Whereas what I have read by growers, was that pressure and heat are needed to make a Cavendish.

Stoved is also a little different than the Cavendish process. Of course, the differences are subtle, like the differences in how cooking a chicken on the range, or on a grill, or in the stove makes the meat of the cooked bird different.

Stoved, in what I have read gives you a more dry tobacco. But, of course if you cannot tell any difference in the flavors of roasted chicken, verses grilled chicken, maybe it's not much of a big deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.