PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shikano53

Lifer
May 26, 2015
I bought a small piece of Carnauba wax from Vermont Freehand (Formerly Pimo's) and it is very hard and brittle. Is it supposed to be like that or should it be soft and malleable? I've never used it before so I don't know. I tried applying it to a flannel wheel I purchased but it just wouldn't heat up enough to adhere. I know you can find this wax on Ebay. Any suggestions or comments would be appreciated.

Thank you

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
In a word... yep.
It won't take much to load up a buffer, and that puck will last you a good long time.
EDIT - I just read that you tried to load up a wheel. I think you'll be surprised at how much wax actually gets loaded on to the wheel. I lean into my wheel a little bit when loading with fresh wax.
-- Pat

clickklick

Lifer
May 5, 2014
You just need to touch the wheel for a second or two. That buff does the work for you. Don't be surprised if you don't see a dent in the wax for a while, that bar will last you a good long time! I have one just like that and after about 20 pipes, I've barely made a dent!

shikano53

Lifer
May 26, 2015
Thanks Pruss and clickklick for the information. Maybe the problem was that it was -20C in the garage when I was trying to do it??? 8O

Just messing with your heads guys, thanks for the information I will give it another try.

I bought a kit from the good folks at Vermont Freehand, and no I have no plans or aspirations to try and become a pipe artisan carver.

Just having some fun. :)

xrundog

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2014
Ames, IA
I've been using the same small wedge of carnauba for about 10 years. A little goes a long way. You just want a very thin coat on a pipe. Apply with one wheel, and then buff to a shine with another.

cossackjack

Lifer
Oct 31, 2014
Evergreen, Colorado
Yes it is brittle. I dropped a bar onto the garage floor & it broke into 3 pieces, though each fragment was still usable.

A little dab 'll do you. As Mr Miyagi instructed, "Wax on. Wax off".

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
I prefer a good lubricant when polishing my pipe.....oh.....never mind....wrong forum!! 8O :oops:

Status
Not open for further replies.