Is Aged Cavendish an Unspoken Secret or Someones Pipe Dream?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

okiebrad

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 13, 2016
Reading through years of posts and articles on the web, about aging tobaccos, the consciences is “Don't waste time aging aromatics or Cavendish tobacco's beyond 1 year.” Sure I see a few posts about unexpected good results from aged aromatics but I see little to nothing about planned aging of an aromatic blend. I wonder if some of you more savvy pipe smokers are keeping a secret from us not so seasoned tobacco hobbyist.
I understand how a lesser quality, heavy flavored Cavendish would not fair well or have no added benefits from additional fermentation or aging. I do question the possibilities of a quality Virginia Cavendish having the potential of releasing additional flavors because of aging.
I am not a aromatic smoker so I do not follow many blends but an example which comes to mind is H&H Trout Stream. It is a highly praised aromatic. They use a quality Cavendish – Virginia blend. I would think a Cavendish blend like this has the possibilities to age very well. Not just the 1 to 2 year window but the Cavendish and Virginia’s would continue to sweeten many years later. What are your experiences and thoughts?

clickklick

Lifer
May 5, 2014
Aromatic is cased with flavorings. Cavendish can be any leaf but mostly burley or Virginia that is sprayed with a sugar water mixture and heated, usually toasted.
It is my experience that the flavorings used in aromatics don't hold up well over time. Usually the flavors get muted and you are left with mostly the base tobacco flavors. As for Cavendish, without top flavors, it ages fairly consistent. Meaning it doesn't lose flavor, but doesn't necessarily improve significantly with age, like say a straight Virginia does. If you like aromatics then enjoy them fresh. I don't necessarily have a time but I would say crack them within 5 years if you don't want to gamble. Although I have some 10 year old stuff that has held up pretty well.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I bought a pound of Dan Tobacco Blue Note when I first started smoking in 2009 and jarred it up and I still have slightly less than a pound, (my tastes have changed). Blue Note is mainly VA with some Cavendish thrown in there. To my taste, it has not changed at all, for better or for worse, it's still the same ol' Blue Note. It is cased and top dressed so therefor very unlikely to ferment and undergo any natural changes because it is not a natural tobacco.
I really don't think the pipe community is keeping any big secrets from you, my man.

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
There is a difference between shelf life and improving with time. I have smoked many an older aromatic blend that was just fine after a long time in a sealed can. I sometimes see "improvement" over the current offering, mostly because of some change to the blend. Put away your aromatic blends for the future I say.It won't likely hurt them.
Mike S.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
No considered opinion on this, but I do think that "aged" aromatics do tend to become more tobacco forward, which to me is a plus.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
It is my experience that the flavorings used in aromatics don't hold up well over time. Usually the flavors get muted and you are left with mostly the base tobacco flavors.
This sounds good to me. I imagine Cavendish will lose some of the sweetness and taste more like a regular Virginia. Win-win.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Black Frigate and a few other blends have unsweetened cavendish in them. BF that is a couple of years old seems to have a fuller body that I am going to attribute to the aging of the unsweetened cavendish. Thanks to scrooge and pipestud, I have a 17 year old tin of BF coming my way so I may be able to explore that theory further if I ever get the nerve to open it. :mrgreen:

bpftc

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 21, 2016
I inadvertently aged Petersons connoisseurs choice when I miss placed the jar for a couple of years. I thought it smoked great when I eventually found it again

easterntraveler

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 29, 2012
Peter stokkbye luxury flake is one of my cellar ed tobaccos that age verywell. I have often wondered if it was because of the cavendish.

Status
Not open for further replies.