PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

punkrockarmy

Might Stick Around
Jan 13, 2013
I've been enjoying a pipe for a little under a month now and like it so far but I only have a little bit of Peterson's Gold Blend left. I was going to order some new tobacco tomorrow and I was wondering if Lane Limited's 1Q is really as good as everyone talks about. Also while I'm here, can anyone give me some recommendations on some good, mild Virginia blends for the newbie? Thanks. :puffy:

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
1-Q is a very safe bet when it comes to flavored Cavendish. It's very popular, but most folks acknowledge that

it's an everyday/everyman kind of smoke -- not a gourmet blend. (IMO)

puffy

Lifer
Dec 24, 2010
North Carolina
1Q has been around for ever.It's very popular.I've smoked a lot of it for a very long time.It's a very cool smoking tobacco.I think almost any pipe smoker can smoke.If I could improve it just a little.I would give it just a bit more taste.Also I think the cut is just a bit stringy.That said I like it a lot.As already said I smoke a lot of it..Give it a try.It's well worth it.

captainbob

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 5, 2010
I-Q is a modern aromatic known by many hundreds of re-names offered by proprietary tobacco shops. As such, it has become extremely successful. That being said, you asked for a fine mild Virginia which can be found from C&D. It is a Pease/Cornell blend called Two Friends - Heritage. One of my all time favorites. A similar blend is my own C&D blend called Captain Bob's Pot O' Gold Mixture with a slight addition of a very light Maple flavor (very slight), a bit more Burley but still predominantly a Virginia Medley. That one is available from C&D by direct order, only. However, Two Friends Heritage is common on many websites featuring the C&D Two Friends series. Heritage, I will add, was the late Craig Tarler's (former CEO of C&D) favorite as well as his one and only go-to smoke! Together, Craig and Chris Tarler and I created Captain Bob's Pot O' Gold Mixture. The difference is the addition of more Burley tobacco's and the addition of a slight amount of Red Virginia and Maple flavor. I do consider both to be non-aromatic rather than aromatic. They both do have a pleasing room note. There is no Latakia in either blend.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

mthanded

Can't Leave
Sep 15, 2012
I like it and smoke it when I want something cool and easy. No bite and the room note is pleasing. It is definitely worth a try.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
1-Q is a very safe bet when it comes to flavored Cavendish. It's very popular, but most folks acknowledge that

it's an everyday/everyman kind of smoke -- not a gourmet blend.
Does it have knock you socks off flavor? No. But I like it.
These two quotes sum up my feelings on 1Q. It's a fine smoke, but nothing to get excited about.

undermidnight

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 26, 2012
Regarding 1Q:
It was my first tobacco. It is a step above the OTC brands IMO. I have had 1Q on hand ever since I first started smoking pipes in 1997. It is definitely a crowd pleaser. The taste is somewhat monochromatic but good. As I have explored English blends, I notice this more.
I will be smoking some on the way home tonight.
Jason

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
Chris beat me to the punch on the mild Virginia with the MV-1000 suggestion.
I carry two pouches nowadays. One with 1-Q, the other with MV-1000 (or Mark Twain depending on what I grab). As many have said, 1-Q is just a good old staple with a nice aroma and solid quality. It's like mama's meatloaf. It may not be something special or fancy, but it's always good comfort.
My advice ? Get a couple of ounces of each. They're inexpensive, solid quality and smoke well. And you don't have to fiddle with flakes and all that stuff, which can be a bit intimidating for a person who's smoked a pipe for a month or so.
Good luck

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
It's simple. And a crowd pleaser. No one will be offput by the smell. It's cookies. It's caramel. It's vanilla.
Although the taste is subtle. The aroma makes itself known to all.

joeahearn

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 30, 2012
I am not a huge fan of 1Q. It is too mild for me and, for some reason, if I smoke much of it, it gives me a sore throat. However, following the advice of some estimable fellows on this board, I tried mixing it 50/50 with Carter Hall. This makes a really nice smoke, still mellow, but tastier. IMHO.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
I-Q is a modern aromatic known by many hundreds of re-names offered by proprietary tobacco shops.
Ok I can take a hint. :D

This is what we have so far:

1Q

Accountant

Wolverine

Lawrence :)

IQ-140

Yorkshire

Wilshire

Argonant

Ships Wheel

T.P.

Indian Summer

Park Avenue

Snow Flake

All Day Long

City's Own

Tipperary

Queen Mary

Tapistry

Aspen

Gardens Blend

Checkmate

Joes Blend

Normamdy

Hemingway

Timbas Own

Mariner Mixture

Door County Blend

Exotic Honey

Indescribable

Fireweed

Honey Bee

Coconut Cream

Reverie

Unique

Cape Charles

Aristocrat

Captains Blend

Ram

zonomo

Lifer
Nov 24, 2012
When i first started smoking about 2 months ago, i kept hearing about 1Q. So I tried it but I didnt love it. I liked it. Some of the Boswels and Hobbits Weed I LOVE. I'll always have a mason jar of 1Q hanging around though. Worth a try for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.