Tags:  No tags yet. 

Is 1Q What It's Cracked Up to Be?

(19 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by punkrockarmy
  • Latest reply from zonomo
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

punkrockarmy

Login to Send PM

I've been enjoying a pipe for a little under a month now and like it so far but I only have a little bit of Peterson's Gold Blend left. I was going to order some new tobacco tomorrow and I was wondering if Lane Limited's 1Q is really as good as everyone talks about. Also while I'm here, can anyone give me some recommendations on some good, mild Virginia blends for the newbie? Thanks.

Posted 1 year ago #
  2. cortezattic

Cortez

A part of the problem since he ...

Login to Send PM

1-Q is a very safe bet when it comes to flavored Cavendish. It's very popular, but most folks acknowledge that
    it's an everyday/everyman kind of smoke -- not a gourmet blend. (IMO)

I find myself sitting idly on the line dividing past and future,
    as if I could kill time without injuring eternity. -- Thoreau
    Posted 1 year ago #
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Is 1Q what it's cracked up to be?

Lane Ltd.'s 1Q is a consistant, inexpensive, quality, very mild aromatic pipe tobacco with a great room note. 1Q is the best selling bulk pipe tomacco in America. Does it have knock you socks off flavor? No. But I like it. Since you're smoking an aromatic now, and this sounds up your alley, I say try an ounce or two and see.

can anyone give me some recommendations on some good, mild Virginia blends for the newbie?

I'd recommend Dunhill Flake. You'd need to prepare each flake and let it dry a bit; one flake should be enough for a medium-sized bowl. If you're adventurous, flakes are not that hard to master and I think you'll like it.

To prep, I cube-cut the flake -- just tale scissors or a very sharp knife and cut the flake into 1/8 inch cubes, then dry it on a plate until the cubes don't clump together, when you pinch some of them and drop them back in the plate. Then pack it (reserving the "crumbs" from the cubing and sprinkling them on top of the bowl makes lighting easier), light it and sip slowly -- virginas need to be sipped slowly, or they will bite you. I'll mention drying again -- it's that important.

Good luck and let us know how you make out.

Posted 1 year ago #
  4. puffy

puffy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

1Q has been around for ever.It's very popular.I've smoked a lot of it for a very long time.It's a very cool smoking tobacco.I think almost any pipe smoker can smoke.If I could improve it just a little.I would give it just a bit more taste.Also I think the cut is just a bit stringy.That said I like it a lot.As already said I smoke a lot of it..Give it a try.It's well worth it.

Life's most valuable treasure is..Love
    Posted 1 year ago #
  5. captainbob

captainbob

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I-Q is a modern aromatic known by many hundreds of re-names offered by proprietary tobacco shops. As such, it has become extremely successful. That being said, you asked for a fine mild Virginia which can be found from C&D. It is a Pease/Cornell blend called Two Friends - Heritage. One of my all time favorites. A similar blend is my own C&D blend called Captain Bob's Pot O' Gold Mixture with a slight addition of a very light Maple flavor (very slight), a bit more Burley but still predominantly a Virginia Medley. That one is available from C&D by direct order, only. However, Two Friends Heritage is common on many websites featuring the C&D Two Friends series. Heritage, I will add, was the late Craig Tarler's (former CEO of C&D) favorite as well as his one and only go-to smoke! Together, Craig and Chris Tarler and I created Captain Bob's Pot O' Gold Mixture. The difference is the addition of more Burley tobacco's and the addition of a slight amount of Red Virginia and Maple flavor. I do consider both to be non-aromatic rather than aromatic. They both do have a pleasing room note. There is no Latakia in either blend.
    __________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Posted 1 year ago #
  6. mikephillips

mikephillips

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

1Q, like everybody here has already said, is very popular and apparently very well liked by a great number of people. I'm not one of them. There's something about it that puts me off, and I don't think it's necessarily that it's just an aromatic, because there are a few aromatics that I don't mind so much. I think it's just that particular topping used in 1Q that makes it anti-ME.

That said, I think very few have this opinion/reaction to it, and you'll most find it a pleasant, if overly mild and boring smoke, provided you take it slow and don't get your tongue bitten a little.

Posted 1 year ago #
  7. mthanded

mthanded

Login to Send PM

I like it and smoke it when I want something cool and easy. No bite and the room note is pleasing. It is definitely worth a try.

Posted 1 year ago #
  8. radio807

radio807

Login to Send PM

I was wondering if Lane Limited's 1Q is really as good as everyone talks about.

It all depends on who you ask. The only way you will know is to try it yourself.

Since you have to die anyway, you might as well die from something you like.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  9. crpntr1

Chris

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I was wondering if Lane Limited's 1Q is really as good as everyone talks about

It all depends on who you ask. The only way you will know is to try it yourself

+1
    I personally like it alot

recommendations on some good, mild Virginia blends for the newbie

Also made by Lane Ltd., MV-1000

The most important things in life are good friends and a good bullpen...not necessarily in that order

You may all go to hell, I'll go to Texas-Davy Crockett
    Posted 1 year ago #
  10. numbersix

numbersix

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

1-Q is a very safe bet when it comes to flavored Cavendish. It's very popular, but most folks acknowledge that
    it's an everyday/everyman kind of smoke -- not a gourmet blend.

Does it have knock you socks off flavor? No. But I like it.

These two quotes sum up my feelings on 1Q. It's a fine smoke, but nothing to get excited about.

"Be seeing you" —Number Six, The Prisoner

Posted 1 year ago #
  11. undermidnight

undermidnight

Login to Send PM

Regarding 1Q:

It was my first tobacco. It is a step above the OTC brands IMO. I have had 1Q on hand ever since I first started smoking pipes in 1997. It is definitely a crowd pleaser. The taste is somewhat monochromatic but good. As I have explored English blends, I notice this more.

I will be smoking some on the way home tonight.

Jason

"The cosmos is also within us. We're made of star-stuff. We are a way for the cosmos to know itself." - Carl Sagan
    Posted 1 year ago #
  12. User has not uploaded an avatar

punkrockarmy

Login to Send PM

Thank for the replies, guys!

Posted 1 year ago #
  13. ace57

ace57

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I smoke 5lbs of 1Q every 3 months so you could say I like it.

U.S.M.C. (SEMPER FI)
    Posted 1 year ago #
  14. mluyckx

Belgian Mick

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Chris beat me to the punch on the mild Virginia with the MV-1000 suggestion.

I carry two pouches nowadays. One with 1-Q, the other with MV-1000 (or Mark Twain depending on what I grab). As many have said, 1-Q is just a good old staple with a nice aroma and solid quality. It's like mama's meatloaf. It may not be something special or fancy, but it's always good comfort.

My advice ? Get a couple of ounces of each. They're inexpensive, solid quality and smoke well. And you don't have to fiddle with flakes and all that stuff, which can be a bit intimidating for a person who's smoked a pipe for a month or so.

Good luck

"The fact is, squire, the moment a man takes to a pipe, he becomes a philosopher. It's the poor man's friend; it calms the mind, soothes the temper, and makes a man patient under difficulties. It has made more good men, good husbands, kind masters, indulgent fathers, than any other blessed thing on this universal earth."
    -"Sam Slick, the clockmaker" aka T.C.Haliburton
    Posted 1 year ago #
  15. spartan

Spartan

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It's simple. And a crowd pleaser. No one will be offput by the smell. It's cookies. It's caramel. It's vanilla.

Although the taste is subtle. The aroma makes itself known to all.

"I was born to lose. So I'll die to win." -Breaking Benjamin
    Posted 1 year ago #
  16. joeahearn

joeahearn

Login to Send PM

I am not a huge fan of 1Q. It is too mild for me and, for some reason, if I smoke much of it, it gives me a sore throat. However, following the advice of some estimable fellows on this board, I tried mixing it 50/50 with Carter Hall. This makes a really nice smoke, still mellow, but tastier. IMHO.

Posted 1 year ago #
  17. uberam3rica

Uberam3rica

Mod

Login to Send PM

I like 1q, and I don't typically smoke aromatics. Is it the best tobacco around? No. But it is pretty good

As long as I got a pipe full of baccy and a nose full of snuff, I'm a happy camper
    Cigarettes are an addiction, cigars are a hobby, pipes are a religion
    Posted 1 year ago #
  18. pstlpkr

Lawrence

Mod

Login to Send PM

I-Q is a modern aromatic known by many hundreds of re-names offered by proprietary tobacco shops.

Ok I can take a hint.
    This is what we have so far:

1Q
    Accountant
    Wolverine
    Lawrence
    IQ-140
    Yorkshire
    Wilshire
    Argonant
    Ships Wheel
    T.P.
    Indian Summer
    Park Avenue
    Snow Flake
    All Day Long
    City's Own
    Tipperary
    Queen Mary
    Tapistry
    Aspen
    Gardens Blend
    Checkmate
    Joes Blend
    Normamdy
    Hemingway
    Timbas Own
    Mariner Mixture
    Door County Blend
    Exotic Honey
    Indescribable
    Fireweed
    Honey Bee
    Coconut Cream
    Reverie
    Unique
    Cape Charles
    Aristocrat
    Captains Blend
    Ram

"Ending a sentence with a preposition is something up with which I will not put." Winston Churchill
    View Lawrence  Whitcomb's profile on LinkedIn
    Posted 1 year ago #
  19. zonomo

zonomo

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

When i first started smoking about 2 months ago, i kept hearing about 1Q. So I tried it but I didnt love it. I liked it. Some of the Boswels and Hobbits Weed I LOVE. I'll always have a mason jar of 1Q hanging around though. Worth a try for sure.

Posted 1 year ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   davidintexas, mso489, mhasman, peckinpahhombre, yaddy306, yohanan, junkyarddawg, drennan, mustanggt, pitchfork, acadianangler, bubblehead33, terrygoldman123, jeffsimpson, captainsousie, metarzan, latbomber, ae1pt, apatim, wnghanglow, davidsasson, iliumneves, sladeburns, durham270, beezer, ghost, cobguy, cosmicfolklore, trailboss