PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Irwin Hasen's comics career started in the late 1930s, and he was actively drawing until a few years ago. Irwin drew the long running Dondi newspaper strip, the Justice Society of America, Wonder Woman, Wildcat, and many other features. He was an incredibly lively, funny, observant man. Always the life of the party, a great Toastmaster, and a wonderful raconteur. He could do slapstick, and sarcastic humor with a broad smile or a hearty laugh. He was never afraid to speak his mind, and was very colorful when he did, but he could be tactful when necessary. He feared no authority, and he had more energy than a fuzzy bunny in a TV commercial. Irwin was entertainingly irrepressible.
Irwin lived for 96 years. I knew him for fifteen. We shared lots of lunches and dinners and drinks over the years. Occasionally, we'd verbally spar for fun, or as Irwin once said, "We traded shots between drinks, or was it drinks between shots?" A couple of times, our sparring was a little combustible when the New York in Irwin was in full force, but it never got beyond the laughing stage. He’d would get on me if I fell behind him in drinks, which always happened, because I’m really not a drinker. He’d say, “I’m a short guy and you’re a big guy. Why can’t you keep up with me?” I said, “Because I wasn’t drinking with Adam and Eve like you were.” He laughed and called me a name I can’t repeat here, but he was laughing hard when he said it.
I’ll miss that laugh, Irwin. I’ll miss your great stories. I’ll miss the banter. I’ll miss you.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
In memoriam:
7628.jpg

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
Sorry to hear this. While it's hard to believe that it's not getting more coverage, it also does not surprise me. I was in a Wonder Woman discussion yesterday and we were lamenting the lack of understanding of her character by the current writers. He was doing the art for some of the best issues she ever saw. Didn't he also do some Flash and Green Lantern as well? RIP Mr. Hansen and thank you Jim for the unfortunate information.

pipebaum81

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 23, 2014
What a great sentiment. Thank you for sharing a bit of your friendship with us. I am sorry for your loss. I am glad you had the opportunity to have such a good person in your life. Kindness and mercy may save us all just yet.
j/B

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Daimyo: yes, Irwin drew the Flash and Green Lantern. He was a major influence on comics legend Alex Toth, who used to tell me stories about Irwin. Btw, for those who are interested, my interview with Irwin appeared in Alter Ego #44. Here's a link to getting a digital copy or reading a preview: http://twomorrows.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=267
I should have mentioned that Irwin was always a very popular convention guest. He really should have been a professional entertainer. He wasn't one of the all time great cartoonists, but he was very good, and his work had life and character, just like the man himself. He was loved by all who knew him.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Here's Irwin talking about himself:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrEhFLI0lcI

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
JimInks:
My condolences to you on the passing of your friend.
I am a firm believer in the idea that who we are today is strongly influenced by the sum total of all of the individuals whom we have had the privilege of knowing. I also believe that, even though Mr. Hasen is gone, he lives on in you and everyone else whom he knew.

indianafrank

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 15, 2014
JimInks, sorry for the loss of your friend. And it seems he was a GREAT friend at that.

Status
Not open for further replies.