PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

schmitzbitz

Lifer
Jan 13, 2011
Port Coquitlam, B.C.
I was chatting up a woodworking acquaintance of mine, and mentioned that I was thinking about trying my hand at pipe carving, but figured I would start off with something other than briar to refine my technique to something better than widdling.

He mentioned that he has a bag of 6"x3" Ironwood turning blocks, that he would be willing to let go for a buck a piece. The grain is tight, and looks damn good when finished - but, I know that it is a real pain to work with. Also, I've not heard of anyone smoking from ironwood - does anyone have any experience with this?

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
I would be very.... very.... very.... wary of smoking from Iron Wood.

But, as you seem to realize... they don't call it Iron Wood for nothing.
It makes good handles on canes, pipe stands, and hurts when you drop it on your foot.

But... I'm not too sure about pipes.

pipetrucker

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 13, 2010
Following the white rabbit
I would think that, due to the denseness of the wood that it would likely smoke quite wet as the wood would likely not absorb any moisture. I also think it would probably smoke pretty hot.

chispa

Can't Leave
Sep 18, 2011
Ironwood is very heavy.

The dust from working is said to be dangerous.

Heavy!! I have a bunch of carved ironwood from Mexico and while it is pretty I don't think it would be good for pipes.

schmitzbitz

Lifer
Jan 13, 2011
Port Coquitlam, B.C.
Awesome, thanks for the advice! I am familiar with the materials qualities from the golf-course, back when metal-woods were only for pro's, but had never thought to try making a pipe until now - and, having read over the replies, will stop thinking about it now.

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
Ironwood is not a species. It is the hardest local wood in the region you are in. I have some carvings of Mexican ironwood. I treat any exotic wood like a snake, assume it is dangerous until absolutely positive otherwise. If I don't want to inhale the sawdust, I certainly don't want to smoke through it. Also, why make a pipe out of the heavest wood you can find?
Now if you are making something decorative only, that will never interact with innards of someone, have fun!
Winton

gurthang

Lurker
Apr 6, 2015
In a way there is a specific species that is "ironwood". Ironwood is a common name but Lignum Vitae is known in the timber industry as Ironwood. It's been used for ball bearings in nuclear submarine reactors because of its "self-lubricating" properties. Lignum Vitae is hard to come by and hard to work with, I can say from experience that you will have to put in the time to make a pipe out of Ironwood. I have yet to finish the pipe I've been making out of Lignum Vitae, I only need to fit the stem, but I expect that it will smoke very wet and that it will not be very conducive to carbon build up. But have enjoyed working with it and the grain is gorgeous. It will blunt your tools though!

ericusrex

Lifer
Feb 27, 2015
I haven't heard that Desert Ironwood is at all toxic but we're not sure that's what you were offered...three years ago. Try your hand at maple first. We know that wood works OK.

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
Guys, why waste your time on crap wood that will have questionable results? Go to Steve Norse, get a pre-drilled kit with some fairly good briar...and you'll actually have a fair chance of having a smokeable pipe at the end of the process

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
My only acquaintance with ironwood is from Midway Island where the old Pan American airlines had planted the Island with Australian Ironwoods to make it less a desolate atoll island. (My history may be shaky; it could have been earlier when the trans-Pacific cable people had staff on the island.) They are beautiful trees, tall and evergreen, as I recall, and provide a degree of shade for people and birds. Since briar is a low-growing heath, it's difficult to imagine these big boys make good pipe wood, but I never saw any product made out of the wood. It does make good cover for a coral atoll.

bluesmk

Can't Leave
Jul 13, 2013
Bethlehem,PA
I'll second what zack says. FYI, I've posted this many times on quite a few forums:

http://www.wood-database.com/wood-articles/wood-allergies-and-toxicity/

Dan

Gabrieli Pipes

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
Thanks for the most enlightening article, bluesmk. I had an old friend who made wonderful knives. He often talked about being careful with various woods as well as some stones.

deepspringfarm

Might Stick Around
Dec 29, 2013
My front porch is made out of iron wood (Ipe). When my contractor was working on it he decided to take a torch to it to see if he could catch it on fire....all he could do was scorch it.

monty55

Lifer
Apr 16, 2014
Bryan, Texas
Winton is correct, it is not a species, and it varies from place to place. I would not advise you to waste your time creating a pipe out of it. As we all know, there are very few woods or materials that are safe and suitable for a proper smoking tobacco pipe ... and there is a reason for that!
Take zack24's advice. Or get a piece of briar or olive wood and have fun!

Status
Not open for further replies.