PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
In my new and unrelenting PAD I've gone for British and Irish pipes. Here's my latest acquisition. A Peterson's Deluxe Made In Ireland Chubby 999. This one still has the bone tenon/condenser.

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
Very nice. The chubby Rhodesian shape is 1 of my favorites and I am lucky to have 1, too, though it's from the Dublin and London line.

elpfeife

Lifer
Dec 25, 2013
That is probably real good wood. Should be a great acquisition. Do you do P-Lips okay? I recently picked up a 999 from the 70s. Real good smoker but I haven't adjusted to the P-Lip yet.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Elpfeife, I own three pipes with p lips (4 if you count my BBB Glokar with a version of the p lip) and at first it was odd but I actually like them now, although with 3 pre-republic Peterson pipes I'm not grabbing more. Great pipes, just at my desirable limit.

texmexpipe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 20, 2014
Love the shape! I've never smoked a P-lip but in not sure I'm about to try.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
I scored a stem-less 999 DeLuxe bowl off Ebay for $18 about ten years ago, then made fishtail stem for it for free. :mrgreen:
How's that for serendipty? :lol:
Best of all, it is comfy as hell, and smokes like a dream. The small-ish, conical chamber is especially good for strong, slow burning tobaccos like fully rubbed out Dark Flake.
aUU5Aq.jpg

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
I just looked again at ashdigger's pipe, and realized it's the "fat shank" version of the 999. The one I posted was the tapered shank variant. (I have no idea what was up with that at the factory. You'd think different fraize keys would get different shape numbers.)
Anyway, bing the Peterson slut that I am---their classic standard shapes & finishes, anyway---I had one of those, too, so had to share with you other Peterson sluts. :lol: (This one did come with a stem originally, but I'm not a P-lip fan, so whipped up a fishtail for it also.)
Smoking-wise, it's a coin toss between the two. 999s are such lovely little things. :D
K62TKC.jpg

scrooge

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
Great score! Don't put it to close to the junk you got from me. They'll look better.

Status
Not open for further replies.