PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

4dotsasieni

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 6, 2013
I have to admit that I thought all this talk about "nicotine hits" was imagination, at least if you don't inhale, but this morning I was smoking some Peterson Irish Oak in a Peterson Killarney pipe that came with a filter. I'd smoked this blend in this pipe before, but today I decided to remove the filter because I thought it inhibited a free draw, and boy, did I get a surprise!
I don't inhale, but after smoking a bowlful in this small pipe, I was hit with dizziness and lightheadedness that I'd never before experienced from pipe tobacco. Whew! I guess I'm now a believer in the nicotine phenomenon, and I'll just have to take it easy on the Irish Oak. :oops:

rhogg

Can't Leave
Jun 14, 2011
I find Irish Oak to be a different tobacco. Definately unique. I have never got the nic hit from it that you speak of; however, I am partial to stronger tobaccos, and I avoid filters like the plague with the exception of Brigahm rock maple filters.
So the real question is; did you enjoy the buzz?

mthanded

Can't Leave
Sep 15, 2012
I like the nicotine hit as well and it doesn't last too long but leaves you kind of mellow for awhile. Irish Oak is one of my favorites.

4dotsasieni

Jan 6, 2013
"So the real question is; did you enjoy the buzz?"
No, I can't say I did. It was a bit too much dizziness and not enough lift. The funny thing is, I smoked cigarettes for years when I was much younger, and never experienced this effect before (well, maybe, now that I think about it, my very first illicit cigarette, when I was 15.)

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
I'm the opposite, don't care at all for a nicotine slam. Fortunately, the tobaccos I smoke most of the time leave me virtually immune to the chemical.
LOL.
Mike, I am glad you pointed out that you are immune to nicotine. Most mere mortals cannot smoke Samuel Gawith twists (or even Royal Yacht) for breakfast, dinner, and supper. That would put me in an early grave...
4dot, You'd better believe in the power of nicotine. It's real. My most intense nicotine experience has been with Red Man chewing tobacco but C&D burleys, 1792 Flake, and Jackknife Plug can set my heart aflutter when they want to. You'll want to stop smoking before the nausea sets in...
Things like FVF or Escudo don't bother me in the slightest - that is my "everyday smoke" comfort zone.
I inhale more than I should so that probably explains why the heavier blends make themselves noticed...
PS: Filters remove a nice bit of nicotine from a blend. Smoking indoors also greatly increases nicotine uptake in my experience as you take in all the surrounding smoke.

hfearly

Oct 11, 2012
Canada
"So the real question is; did you enjoy the buzz?"
No, I can't say I did. It was a bit too much dizziness and not enough lift. The funny thing is, I smoked cigarettes for years when I was much younger, and never experienced this effect before (well, maybe, now that I think about it, my very first illicit cigarette, when I was 15.)
There is a fine line between just enough to feel totally alive and upbeat and too much, so that it makes you dizzy and your stomach turn.

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
You can definitely push it way too far.
Drinking is a laugh and a half until you cross the line...
Smoking is a little more abrupt, I think. It is easier to enter the land of sickness with just moderate use.

juni

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
Irish Oak is perfection in tobacco. Strong, not too aromatic and smokes really well and packs a pleasant hit. I've never gotten sick from smoking, but I guess being a cig smoker helps with that.

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
Interesting. I find both Irish Oak and Royal Yacht to be absolutely delicious, mild blends. That's the interesting thing about this hobby - everyone reacts differently to different blends. I guess it comes down to body chemistry, nicotine saturation, etc.
Side note, Mike - a good comparison is Irish Oak vs LBF (as opposed to Escudo) due to the cavendish element. In fact it's an upcoming Monday night match-up.

tennsmoker

Lifer
Jul 2, 2010
A memorable nic takedown for me was with SG's 1792 Flake.
At the time, I figured I could handle about anything. I had just returned to pipe smoking after a few layoff years. I wanted a real tobacco to get me going again, since I had been a pound every two weeks sort of guy in my youth.
Let me tell you, I had an out of body experience. I thought I was floating on an ocean of smoke somewhere in the nether world. Next thing I know, I'm sweating like a preacher in a tent revival. I was headed south.
I won't go into all the grizzly details, but it got worse. I gave the 1792 away to a better man than me.
Later, I heard about a college kid who walked into the B&M. Bought a tin of 1792, stuffed his pipe, took a great big puff, inhaled it, and hit the deck. Out. Down for the count.
I've not had any since.

juni

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
1792 is interesting. It tastes totally different from the tin aroma. I still don't know if I like it or hate it. If I had to pick one tobacco I smoked that actually manages to overwhelm me if I smoke too much of it I'd go with Irish Flake (which also is delicious).

javajunkie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 26, 2013
Interesting that old red man chew was brought in. I have seen that good tobacco, either pipe or cigar, actually behaves much more like chewing tobacco that many think. With cigarettes, absorption thought the lungs usually stops you from smoking past the comfort level. Y'know, because of burning your lungs out. Pipe usually operates through absorption through the oral membranes (or sinosal if you "retrohale" the smoke), and can act surprisingly quick and sneaky like. If it is new to you, smoke slow, and have a sweet beverage at the ready (I usually use ginger ale).

Aug 14, 2012
Fun, wasn't it? If you didn't like it, stop before getting too close to the bottom of the bowl, and only smoke Irish Oak on a full stomach.

withnail

Oct 30, 2011
United Kingdom
1792 gave me a real case of the nic-ups and I've not bought a tin of it since! You do absorb nicotine through the mouth. I am sure I read an article by Kevin that mentioned the PH was important in whether vitamin N will be easily absorbed in the mouth. In have so many tobacco bookmarks that I can't find it at the moment.
Any one else remember the article I'm thinking of?

Status
Not open for further replies.