PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

seadogontheland

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 4, 2014
A very unique blend indeed. This tasted like nothing else I have experienced, there is an astringent type of effect on my tongue and mouth...the Sherry Casks? A puckering effect. I must say I enjoyed this somewhat though. Orange rind, pepper/spice, sour apple, quite interesting. I had some problems keeping this lit, even after drying. Smoke volume was moderate, but it has some body. I won't buy this again, but I also won't forget a truly one of a kind blend.

seadogontheland

Oct 4, 2014
It didn't seem like the perique since I've had some very strong blends loaded with it...but either way, as I said quite a unique blend.

james80

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 16, 2012
It's a staple of mine, with 25 tins in my cellar.
Sea dog - I very occasionally get the astringent affect, but usually when I'm dehydrated. The tobacco improves greatly when stored for year.

seadogontheland

Oct 4, 2014
I would not classify this as an aromatic. It is seasoned by aging in sherry casks, but to me this would not classify it as an American or Danish aromatic...there is nothing sweetish, fruity or the like about this blend. Aromatic has always been a strange term to me. I find the terms natural and cased/topped to be more applicable. My English blend I'm puffing on right now is very aromatic, but there is no cased/topped weed in it.

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
I would wager it's that Indian leaf, also present in Irish Whiskey , Irish Flake and Sherlock Holmes, that has that effect. It also packs a good punch, you should try for breakfast with black coffee 8O

troutface

Lifer
Oct 26, 2012
Colorado
It also packs a good punch, you should try for breakfast with black coffee
My only "episode" with a blend came by smoking Irish Oak before lunch. Sweating, shaking, nausea. If anyone had seen me they would have had a good laugh.

balcifer

Lurker
Jul 9, 2013
Picked up a tin of Peterson Irish Oak land Friday and have been enjoying it been picking up a fruity aroma to the blend. Have already tried Peterson's Old Dublin English and find that Peterson makes a very nice blend.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
This one is a newer blend to me and I was pleasantly surprised.
Here's a short review I did based upon my initial experience:
Peterson's Irish Oak - I was hesitant due to the mention of "Sherry" in the description but have wanted to try this blend. No disappointment in this one. The tobacco has a light aromatic smell in the bag but it doesn't really carry through to the smoke. What I discovered was a great Va/Bur/Per with a sizable amount of Perique. The Virginia is always there but it's an earthy, low sugar type that lets the nutty Burley always come through. Decent Nic-kick too! I'll grab a few tins of this one for the morning with coffee.
I did grab a few tins but my morning smoke with coffee is still Big N' Burley ... for now! :puffy:

stickframer

Apr 11, 2015
It was my first experience away from fruity blends back in 1998.
Mine too, late last year. I smoked one tin and wasn't too sure about it. It could be worth trying again since I was pretty wet behind the ears and I doubt I gave it a fair chance. I bought Irish Oak and a pouch of black Cavendish and, well, I still have the cavendish while the Irish oak is long gone.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Gonna have to try the morning Big N' Burley with coffee cob
Let me know if there is still some in the "Box" ... if not I'll send some to refill it! :puffy:

Status
Not open for further replies.