PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

docspipe

Might Stick Around
Dec 12, 2014
Peterson's Irish Flake has been my number one tobacco for many years and after hearing K-H no longer would be producing it, I was a bit upset. Several forum posts stated that Irish Flake was being blended by Mac Baren. In response to a query, Per Jensen, himself, stated that Mac Baren is not producing the Peterson Flake tobaccos. Trying to find out who the current blender is for Irish Flake has been without success.
Enter Kolhase-Kopp with their new Rattray line with an entry for Stirling Flake, and having a similar description to Irish Flake. After weeks of being backordered at Pipes and Cigars, I managed to snag two tins from 4 Noggins. As far as I can tell, this is the same as Irish Flake. Same tin style/packaging, same number of flakes (12), same thickness of cut, similar looking leaf, and similar tin note. After smoking several bowls, I find it to be 99% identical. The only difference, and a slight one, is a tad more spiciness (which I like very much) and the ever so slightest after taste something mint-like(which fades very rapidly throughout the smoke and may actually be due to the freshness of the leaf). I read where K-H still managed to keep the recipe and apparently are still producing the same flake, but under the Rattray banner. Also, I haven't noticed any changes in taste for the newly produced Irish Flake. In a double blind smoke off, I wouldn't be able to tell the difference...and I'm happy about that! Your thoughts and comments would be appreciated.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I have not tried the "new" Rattray blends but there has been a lot of discussion about how they are the Peterson blends in new clothing; so your impressions make sense. I suppose this is one case where you can ask, "What's in the name?"

Dec 24, 2012
Great. Thanks for the impressions. There aren't many other candidates who could be making the "new" Irish Flake other than Orlick, it seems to me, but yeah, I haven't heard that confirmed.

docspipe

Might Stick Around
Dec 12, 2014
Peck, I agree with you on this with regard to Orlick taking over. While K-H was making the Peterson flakes, it was said that they only blended the components, but the actual flakes were pressed by Orlik, so it would make sense for Orlik to take over.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
I also had read about the new Rattray blends but yours is the first confirmed side-by-side

comparison that I've seen. Thanks for posting your review! :puffy:

docspipe

Might Stick Around
Dec 12, 2014
You are welcome cobguy. In thinking all of this, how many tobacco manufacturers in addition to Kolhase-Kopp(talking mid-to-large scale operations) are there on the European side of the pond that could have taken over the production of Irish Flake? I can think of Mac Baren, Orlik, Samuel Gawith, Gawith-Hoggarth, Germain. They most likely produce the name brand pipe tobaccos that we import into the US. Kolhase-Kopp is obviously out. Doubtful it's SG, G-H, or Germain and Mac Baren has said no. That does leave Orlik.

easterntraveler

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 29, 2012
Stirling is in stock at smokingpipes.com
http://www.smokingpipes.com/tobacco/by-maker/rattrays/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=156747

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
Also, I haven't noticed any changes in taste for the newly produced Irish Flake. In a double blind smoke off, I wouldn't be able to tell the difference...and I'm happy about that!
That says it all to me!

docspipe

Might Stick Around
Dec 12, 2014
Junkyarddawg you make an interesting point. I don't know much about how this works but maybe K-H dumped Peterson and not the other way around. Sterling Flake is going for nearly $11 and Irish Flake holding around $9 (at P&C, Smoking pipes, and 4Noggins). Maybe K-H felt that their profit margin wasn't enough. All of their other produced flakes are at least $11 and if they have to ship them to Orlik for the pressing, perhaps they weren't satisfied with their profit on the Peterson offerings. Case in point...Mac Baren makes Eric Stokkebye's flake which is similar to their Navy Flake and it's more pricey (manufacturer's profit margin thus maintained). Peterson probably sets the price and K-H may have said bye bye!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm holding a tin of Irish Flake, so I sure hope it isn't blended by Mac Barens. Modern Virginia is the only one of their

blends that doesn't bite me, and I'm really looking forward to this little square tin of Irish Flake.

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
I'll venture out and say the new IF is made by Orlik, and I am not speaking on behalf of SPC, just a personal observation. The only differences between what was in the square tin when it was made in Germany and what's in the square tin made in Denmark are the size of the flakes and the moisture content. I find the new stuff more ready to smoke straight from the tin than the old skinnier flakes.

At the SPC Christmas party a few weeks ago I had the pleasure of sampling some of the "sardine can" early German stuff from 2006. Sadly, Irish Flake does not seem to be much different after 8 years in the tin .......

docspipe

Might Stick Around
Dec 12, 2014
I just opened up the next tin (I date and number them as I receive them) in my lineup of Irish Flake. I immediately noticed that fruity smell typical of many Danish produced Virginias and none of the licorice smell I get with deep inhalation of the tin after opening. The leathery/tarry smell typical of Irish Flake was present, but at half strength of what I'm used to. The coloring of the flake, thickness, texture, and handling was the same. The smoke was enjoyable, but there was a pronounced difference as the fruity smell described translated to the taste throughout the entire bowl (group 1 billiard). Stirling Flake definitely is more like the Irish Flake I've been smoking for years now. Perhaps with this new incarnation it was decided that they shouldn't be exactly the same. I certainly don't know what goes on behind the scenes with these "big tobacco company" decisions. Any one else out there notice the changes I have? Your input would be appreciated.

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
Stirling Flake definitely is more like the Irish Flake I've been smoking for years now
Except the flakes are bigger. Until about a year ago or so, IF flakes were narrower, 23 to the square tin, just like the ones in the skinny sardine can.
I should have dated my 25 tins. Now I can't remember which I have had for 2 years, and which have been purchased more recently.

oldmansmoking

May 13, 2017
UK
Irish flake is not as good as EA Cary's black twist. Blake twist will blow your mind. Very very strong.

oldmansmoking

May 13, 2017
UK
Can anyone tell me how to set my photo up so when I post it comes up - changed and edited my profile but still no photo is visible with the post.

Status
Not open for further replies.