Pipes Magazine » General Discussion

Tags:  No tags yet. 

Irish actor: Brendan Gleeson - No Spoilers

(13 posts)
  1. fnord

fnord

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I've admired Mr Gleason's since God invented dirt.

I first saw him in the campy but fun "Lake Placid," 17 years ago and have enjoyed his presence tremendously ever since.

He chewed up every scene in "Cold Mountain" and "In Bruges," stole more than his fair share of screen time in the the Harry Potter series and went tit for tat against well established actors like Daniel Day Lewis, Denzel Washington, Brad Pitt, Johnny Depp, Liam Neeson and Tom Cruise.

Gleeson's performance as the shady cop in "The Guard" is stunning and that movie just might be on the short list of the best films you've never seen.

I watched Gleeson last night as a Catholic priest in "Calvary," on HBO. He's rock solid in his faith but tested mightily by local parishioners going soft in their faith. (additional bonus: his son in real life, Domhnall Gleeson, plays a convicted murderer I could run over repeatedly and not feel the bump.)

He's so damned talented and I always get the impression that his varied roles are mere cufflinks.

Fnord

It ain't the way I wanted it! I can handle things! I'm smart! Not like everybody says - like dumb - I'm smart and I want respect!
    Fredo Corleone
    Posted 3 years ago #
  2. buroak

buroak

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Brendan Gleeson is one of my favorite actors. I first remember seeing him as Hamish in Braveheart, but he is so much more than that character. Thanks for bringing him up here.

Life contains a particle of risk. - Allardyce T. Meriweather in Little Big Man
    Posted 3 years ago #
  3. pitchfork

pitchfork

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm a big Gleeson fan, too. "Calvary" is some heavy stuff -- but a great movie.

"The Guard" is classic. (I also happen to live in the town west of Galway where much of it was filmed.)

By the way, if you liked "The Guard," you should see "The General" -- Gleeson plays a Dublin crime boss (based on a true story). "I Went Down" is another great one.

One of my all-time favorites, though, is a short film called "Cáca Milis" (Irish for "Cake" -- it's pronounced as if it were spelled "cawka milish"). It's in Irish, but there are sub-titles. Gleeson plays a blind man on a train.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UleuAxTpmF4

Posted 3 years ago #
  4. mortonbriar

mortonbriar

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yeah, he is the man...on top of being a great actor he just has the kind of face that convinces you he has seen his share of real life, I get similiar impressions from Tommy Lee Jones, or Jeff Bridges

I don't really care if the cup is half full or half empty, I just want something to sip on.
    Posted 3 years ago #
  5. oldreddog

oldreddog

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

He's deadly! Another vote for The General and I Went Down.

Killing me won't bring back your apples.
    Posted 3 years ago #
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

aldecaker

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

His work in Gangs of New York was brilliant as well.

A man who serves his country is a patriot. A man who serves his government is an employee. The two are not always the same thing.
    Posted 3 years ago #
  7. simong

simong

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The general for me, he was brilliant in that picture(true story btw) as was Jon voight.

Posted 3 years ago #
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

elpfeife

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Top notch as Churchill in the BBC(?) production "Into the Storm". He was following Albert Finney's brilliant effort in the first part, "The Gathering Storm". It took some chutzpah on Gleeson's part but he "done good".

Posted 3 years ago #
  9. fnord

fnord

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Guys:

I had "The General" and "Into the Storm" queued on the DVR until one of my sons cleared out some films he thought I'd already watched. "Cáca Milis" might be difficult to obtain from my neighborhood Family Video but hopefully NetFlix will carry the day.

Too true, Mortonbriar. All three have the look of somebody who's been riding the river for more than a few years and I'd probably have to add Liam Neeson, one of my favorite Aussies, Jack Thompson, and the incomparable Ray Winstone to that group.

Fnord

Posted 3 years ago #
  10. pitchfork

pitchfork

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

fnord,

I didn't even think of it, but my wife and I watch most of our television on the laptap. I'd be surprised if Netlfix had it, but both parts of "Cáca Milis" are on youtube -- it's only about 15 minutes altogether.

Posted 3 years ago #
  11. oldreddog

oldreddog

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Fnord, I'll see your Ray Winston, and raise you a Gary Oldman.

Posted 3 years ago #
  12. tbradsim1

tbradsim1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

JIm, watched Cavalvry , really liked it. Great Actor., got a couple more of his films comeing.

The Old Cajun
    Posted 3 years ago #
  13. fnord

fnord

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Jeez.

I thought I was already bummed out enough today after reading Ken Watanabe has been battling stomach cancer and then I watched - Gee, thanks, Pitchfork - "Cáca Milis" on Youtube.

Mother of God, that was 19 minutes of pure, unadulterated, Eugene O'Neil emotional torture served straight up without a chaser.

Rough stuff.

Fnord

Posted 3 years ago #

You must log in to post.

banner

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   tozert, jvnshr, bigpond, willyspiper, mawp, tobefrank, ben88, cossackjack, pappymac, pipestud