Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
No, but Savinelli probably did. Iwan Reis has sold lots of Savinelli-made pipes over the years.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
Ok. Thanks. Found a pipe marked GIGANTE with IRC on the stem. Thanks again.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Though it may be some other Italian company. Does Savinelli have a Gigante line or designation? I couldn't find one with a quick search, but here's some photos of an IRC catalogue from the 70s showing unmarked Savinelli pipes.
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/info-on-this-pipe-some-sort-of-savinelli-second#post-1028078

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
The pipe I found today at an antique shop only had two markings...GIGANTE on the shank and IRC on the top of the stem. I should of taken a picture. Anyway, I passed on it.
Thanks again.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Five or six years ago, I asked my wife to give me an IRC house pipe for Christmas, which she did, along with a much more up-market pipe that somewhat stole the show. Oddly to me, the house pipe wasn't even stamped with Iwan Ries, and of course no other brand name. Only the stem was marked "Italy." It's a big pipe, maybe Group 6, smooth/glossy finish, a bent billiard with a saddle stem. It hangs very gently given its size, and for its size, it's not heavy either. At the time, I thought Savinelli was making the house pipes, but this doesn't have the look of any Sav I've ever seen, too thick walled and rounded with an extra wide bit. I'm buying that it is an Italian pipe, but I'd guess it is some other maker. FYI, at present, last I knew, Genod is making IR house pipes, and they do a really nice French pipe at an excellent price.

Status
Not open for further replies.