PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
I'm a HUGE fan Apple and the iPhone. I'd love to keep this from devolving into an "I hate Apple" thread, but it seems inevitable. I'm curious how many other pipe smokers are as stoked as I and will be buying one next week. I'll be opting for the iPhone 7 Plus in "Jet Black" and 256gb version. I get excited every two years for the next evolutionary step for the iPhone. I think the headphone jack removal is classic Apple and it'll become the standard. Faster processer, home button, 12mp dual lens camera... it's all good.
iPhone 7

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
Headphone jack removal? I hate this type of feature. There is no reason they could not include a headphone jack and bluetooth capability. Of course they just want to sell more headphones, which you will need to play music on your new iPhone.
I am generally an Apple fan, and I own an Macbook and an iPhone, but Apple has done a horrendous job with retroactive compatibility / cross-compatibility with its various platforms. I think they do it on purpose. In this one regard, Windows systems have proven superior.

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
I use an iPhone 5 daily and an iPad 3rd generation for reading news, watching videos, checking forum, etc. I am not a huge fan but I like their products. They are simple, easy to learn and useful on daily basis.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
I do like the iphone system, it's almost like the standard, and now with the bigger size of the iphone 6 the other ones seem so small. The one major gripe I have with apple is the itunes system, where you can't simply add a song from a computer, you have to have the whole library on the computer or you wipe out everything.

Jun 27, 2016
I thought that it was more of a tragedy when they got rid of line-level output through the main cable, beginning with with the I-phone 6 release. I doubt that that has been restored. I still have an Ipod touch 4 because I get line-level-out through my 30-pin-to-RCA converter cable. I think my Iphone 5 will do it too, I just never got a new cable for it.

codecreatively

Can't Leave
Sep 17, 2014
My upgrade cycle is with the "S" series, so it'll be another year before I trade in my 6S. Let us know how you like the 7 when you get it!

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
Removal of the headphone jack allows for a thinner phone, more battery space and a speaker. The iPhone COMES WITH wireless Bluetooth earbuds AND an adapter using the lightening port to use your wired headphone should you chose. Remember when they stopped including disk drives and CD rom drive? Everyone thought it was crazy. It wasn't. They evolve.
Code, next years should be epic, the 10th Anniversary of the iPhone. Big things are expected. The "cycle" is over. No more carrier subsidies for two year contracts. No contracts at all from ATT&T or Verizon... any of them.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
This idea that Apple, the richest, most successful company in the world, would risk its most profitable product to sell more headphone is insane. They know what they're doing and in a year or two the idea of a old fashioned headphone jack will seem silly and analog, not their demographic. It might seem extreme at first, but to exchange that jack for more battery, more speaker, water resistance, and thinness... I'll take that any day.

rfernand

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 2, 2015
It looks great! I look forward to playing with the new lenses :)
The headphone jack didn't really bother me. The adapter seems sufficient.

rfernand

Oct 2, 2015
Ah nate, perhaps you missed it - the included earbuds are lighting connector only. The wireless ones do not use Bluetooth, and will retail for $140 or so. Also in the box, a lightning to 3.5 connector....

Dec 24, 2012
I love my macbook and ipad but hate the iphone. It's a great toy, but horrible for e-mail intensive business functions.
In any event, for those that just need a phone as a toy (ie for casual non-business functions), the iphone is great. By the way, I read that one of the reasons they removed the headphone jack is because that helped them make the phone heavily water resistant.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
I use my iPhone FAR FAR FAR more than any other single object I own, more than my car and my TV combined. You're correct about the headphones being lightening, but with the adapter, the old timers still can use their beloved wired ones. I still say it's a happy trade off.

Peck, a toy? Seriously? It's not a "serious business phone" because it's not Microsoft friendly, thank god! I HATE windows. Owned an Internet cafe in the 90's and dealt with them daily. Windows is garbage, but I get that business is windows dependent and thereby gets along better with non-Apple phones, but it's as much a tool as any other phone. Not a toy.
Ash, we spoke about you at the meeting. We took a vote and we hate you to :)

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
The wireless ones ARE Bluetooth.
BLUETOOTH
QUOTE FROM POPULAR SCIENCE

Update: A previous version of this story said AirPods do not connect via Bluetooth. The Apple Store listing for AirPods says they do, and this story has been changed to reflect that. Popular Science apologizes for the mistake.

rfernand

Oct 2, 2015
The real question is: when will the iPhone come in sandblast finish?

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
Wait... they do not offer a sandblasted pipe themed version?!?! That's just crap!! I reverse my opinion on Apple!

Dec 24, 2012
As far as e-mail management only, Blackberry is a far superior tool. Not even close. For playing games, listening to music and those app thingies, the iphone is much better, with that I agree.
I traded my blackberry for an iphone about 6 months ago, and reverted back to the blackberry about three months ago. My iphone 6+ whirred away trying to get and send emails, while with my blackberry the e-mails were instantaneous. The search function is also way better on the blackberry - I can quickly and efficiently search and find old e-mails including by searching key words in the attachments to the e-mails. Moreover, my blackberry allows me to do a server side search, something that never worked on my iphone. I also had numerous dropped calls with the iphone, something I have never experienced with the blackberry. And then there is the physical keyboard on the blackberry, which allows me to type much faster and accurately than I ever could on the iphone.
I gave my iphone to my 10 year old though. He loves it.

Status
Not open for further replies.