PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

blendtobac

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
I just received an email that states that the IPCPR, CAA and CRA have filed a joint lawsuit against the FDA and are asking for an injunction to stop the implementation of the deeming regulations due to unfair or illegal elements of the regulations. Here are some notes...
The complaint challenges:
• FDA’s improper application of the February 15, 2007 grandfather date to cigars and pipe tobacco, which subjects those products to more intrusive regulations than cigarettes and smokeless tobacco

• FDA's impermissible assessment of a tax in the form of user fees, and its allocation of these user fees only to cigars and pipe tobacco and not to other newly deemed products

• FDA’s failure to perform an adequate cost-benefit analysis to take into account the effects of the Final Rule on small businesses as is required by the Regulatory Flexibility Act

• FDA's unjustified decision to require cigar health warning labels to be 30% of the two principal display panels of packages

• FDA’s unlawful designation of tobacconists who blend finished pipe tobacco or create cigar samplers of finished cigars as “manufacturers," which subjects those businesses to greater regulation than if they were “retailers”

• FDA’s incorrect decision to regulate pipes as “components” or “parts” rather than as “accessories”

"The FDA ignored the law to craft these expansive and sweeping regulations and cannot justify many of the arbitrary and capricious regulations it purports to enact," said Glynn Loope, Executive Director of Cigar Rights of America. "This lawsuit is a specific and detailed challenge to the FDA's unprecedented assertion of rulemaking authority. "We are acting in one voice to protect the legal rights of our industry at all levels, from the manufacturer, the community retail tobacconist, to the adult patrons of cigars."
Russ

blendtobac

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
Good to see. Are all those entities cigar related? (IPCPR, CAA and CRA)
Although they all have something to do with cigars, IPCPR represents cigar and premium tobacco product retailers in the US.
Russ

May 4, 2015
If it gets in to the hands of the right judge(s), the suit could mean a stay for the whole shebang until resolved. That would be more than decent.

lestrout

Lifer
Jan 28, 2010
Chester County, PA
Thanks of the highest order for your post, Russ! The content of the legal complaint shows a great deal of thoughtful analysis and seems quite robust. Hats off to the legal team for zeroing in on some vulnerable points in the FDA Deeming nonsense (literally).
This really encourages me. I have been getting responses from my letters to my Congressmen and Senators, some of which appear to be more than just boilerplate. I'm also getting friends, relatives and others to write (especially handwritten) to their reps as well. We are talking not just about the specific outrages to our hobby here, but also just generalized over-reach of self-perpetuating bureaucracies. At the risk of getting political, (Moderators - please think through the self-interest of this forum in discerning more clearly about what constitutes acceptable 'political' discussion here), I'm pondering what it would take to crowd fund a "Recall Mitch Zeller" movement.
hp

les

jndyer

Lifer
Jul 1, 2012
Central Oregon
I am glad that there are groups that have the resources to take this cause to the courts. Thank you for keeping us informed. By the way, do we know which federal court this was filed with?

May 4, 2015
We are talking not just about the specific outrages to our hobby here, but also just generalized over-reach of self-perpetuating bureaucracies
That's really the problem here. Non-Constitutionally supported, arbitrary Federal Agencies that can grant themselves sweeping power on a whim is outrageous. These decisions effect real people with real families and real lives. An attempt to abolish an industry without due process is appalling, whether you support "smoking" or not.
Add the fact that this country was built largely on tobacco, and indeed the tobacco industry and profits therefrom were a major catalyst for the desire of independence.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Helping to fund this lawsuit will be a lot more effective than writing letters to your US representatives. Is there a means to support this effort?

Status
Not open for further replies.