PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
So, we made it to Iowa for our trip. Took a couple days from Raleigh, NC to make it here. Stopped about halfway to Des Moines somewhere in Kentucky to spend the night.
I had already done a few searches online for tobacconists that I might encounter or even take a detour to stop in to see what they had.
This brings me to my first entrance into the pipe and tobacco road trip. John Dengler Tobacconists is one of the oldest running tobacconists in the country. They're located in St. Charles, Missouri, which is basically still considered St. Louis.
I enjoyed every minute of strolling through the cabinets to see what they had on offer. One large cabinet held a lot of different pipes ranging in price from the $30 basket to the $130 Jobey.
They had a turnstyle case sitting on top that held your typical figure head meerschaums, ranging from $30 for the smallest chamber to about $140 for a full size chambered Indian Chief figurehead. I was holding back the urge to buy one, because I've wanted a Meer for some time now, but I'm holding out for another shop on my way back that has about 10 times the selection.
They also had a nice collection in a locked case where they were keeping the good stuff, you know, the Savs, Pete's, and Nording's. My eyes passed over each one and I started falling in love with a Nording they were holding, but I'm reserving my dough for the Meer.
That's the ultimate prize for this hunt. A nice, high quality Meer. Well, that and some Sleepy Hollow from Straus on the way back home.
To commemorate the trip at least to St. Louis, I decided to buy a basket pipe that I really liked holding. It's stamped Capri Italy, and I've seen a few posts about them, maybe a Savinelli line at some point? They threw in a free ounce of tobacco with the purchase of a pipe, so I chose a nice bourbon dosed tobacco called Old Still. Will let you know how it tastes.
Anyways, here's the pipe:
20180903_110441-600x291.jpg

20180903_110455-600x291.jpg

20180903_110527-600x291.jpg

20180903_110534-600x291.jpg

After that, we had to venture off to have some St. Louis style barbecue and we found some of the best I've put in my mouth at Hendricks BBQ.
I'll be back with updates as my trip continues! Happy Labor Day all and Happy Puffing!

davidintexas

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 4, 2013
Hi Carolina. Sounds like a fun trip and I love those family owned tobacco shops that still cater to pipe smokers. Loved the pictures. My dad and his parents lived several years in Des Moines when he was a boy so that's kind of a special place to me. Dad and I went back there a few years ago and wrapped up a few family details so that place will always have a place in my heart. Glad you're enjoying your trip, and look to hearing more about it.
David

redone

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 4, 2018
Nice shop! I live on the east side of St. Louis and bought my Nording there. I like it so much, I may venture back for another. Will definitely be visiting there again.

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
Nice, David! Yeah, my wife's from here so we're back for a friend of hers wedding and staying the week. Going to see what all we can see while here, then heading back east on Sunday.
Trying to stay dry, but it's certainly being a gully washer right now. Gonna need a boat before long. Was going to scope out the Renaissance Festival today but I'd rather stay dry and out of the mud.

3rdguy

Lifer
Aug 29, 2017
Iowa
Yea terrible rain. Same for next 4 days it sounds like.

Keep us updated on your finds!

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
If you don't mind some extra driving and can time your trip to hit Chicago in the middle of the day, make your return trip with that route and visit Iwan Ries. If you're really into it, you could go back through Knoxville, TN and stop at Smoky's on the West side (no more than 10 minutes out of the way), the Gatlin Burlier in Gatlinburg and B&B Tobacconists in Asheville, NC. Pipe and Pint in Greensboro, NC is a nice place to stop as well but you may already be familiar with it.
Travel safe!

snoopy311

Can't Leave
Dec 21, 2016
@carolinachurchwarden, I’m two hours north of Des Moines in Northern Iowa. I’d like to hear what you find in the Des Moines area. We have nothing up here for decent tobacco shops. I’ll be curious to see what you find concerning pipe tobacco.

lasttango

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 29, 2012
Wilmington, De / Ithaca, NY
Capri pipes are terrific. Sav did have a "Capri" once, but that was part of the Sav line I believe. It's also possible Sav made some Capri pipes once according to my local tobacconist. In any case, I think for $25-$40, Capri is a great deal. I still have one I bought 5 years ago. It's one of my better smokers.

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
I would make the trip to Chicago if we didn't have to be home by Monday evening. So instead, we decided to pass on to The Briar & The Burley in Bloomington, Indiana for my Meer, then pressing onward to Straus in Cincinnati for some Sleepy Hollow, Skyline chili and some Graeter's ice cream before heading home.
Sounds good snoopy, will let you know what I find here.
Good to know, lasttango. I hadn't heard of them before, but the look of this thing, plus it being $30, had me wanting it for a little reminder piece. Planning to smoke it soon with the same blend I got for my purchase.

snoopy311

Can't Leave
Dec 21, 2016
@snagstangl, that’s what I have heard as well. They love selling cigars because that’s where the money is at. I have found the same thing in Minneapolis/St. Paul. Big area but not much for quality tobacconists.

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
Well, I made my trip over to David's and I was excited to get inside. It was a little bit of a let down as the store in person didn't quite match up with the images I'd seen online, but I realize those were likely several years old.
They did have a rather large humidor and excellent seating for viewing several different TV's scattered about. Cigar culture is alive and well there.
Most of my disappointment revolved around about 2 or 3 fairly large racks for pipes that were about 25% full and most were basket pipes.
They had two cased, turn style clear cabinets with higher priced pipes. One case was for new pipes, some meers, Italian made pipes and a few were nice.
The other case was for estates. I did see a rather nice Ben Wade reduced from $150 to $75 with a clear, acrylic stem that I almost caved for, but I'm holding strong for my Meer.
Most of the tobacco looked like house blends aside from a couple tins each of Escudo Navy Rolls, Dunhill Standard Mixture, and about 6 or 7 different C&D blends. Was also disappointed to see racks and holders for so many different tins now sitting practically empty aside from a tin or two being used to keep the rack from floating off.
They did have a few other odds and ends that I sorted through and made a small purchase of some more softee bits, a cork knocker I've been wanting, a tobacco pouch I got for $8.50, and a small pipe rack capable of holding 4 pipe, but I really liked it.
So here's my loot from David's:
Pipe Rack, front:

20180904_200639-600x291.jpg

Pipe rack, back:

20180904_200702-600x291.jpg

All accouterments purchased:

20180904_200756-600x291.jpg

Highlight had to be the pipe rack, hands down. Overall impression of David's is good, but it just felt like standing in front of a pipe section that's being phased out. Like they still support it, but it just ain't there bread and butter anymore. Still, they likely have a better selection of tins, house blends, and pipes than some other shops around Des Moines.
I'm going to keep looking around, but that might be it for tobacconists or good tobacco shops around here.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
That's a good road trip. The Midwest is under-appreciated as a travel destination so you can have a good time for reasonable money. Missouri Meerschaum is in Washington, Missouri, but you can't do it all, and I'm not sure what their current tour offerings are or aren't. Then there's Sparta, N.C., up near the Virginia border, but you have to get well off the interstate to go there, and I think their tour options are limited. Sounds like a fun trip. Weddings are sometimes a good excuse to see new territory you'd miss otherwise.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
Yeah, David’s is mainly a cigar house now. I hear your pain, I was there two months ago and didn’t stay long.
But ... and it’s a BIG but ... SKYLINE CHILI is next up! Dig in.
My gal is from Cincinnati and we get Skyline 4 ways often. Do have Kroger grocery stores in North Carolina? If so, they sell Skyline chili in cans. Its not fresh, but damn good nonetheless.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
Yeah, chiropractors can fix anything Hoosier. 8O
This is Cincinnati chili 4 way. So delicious.

ways.jpg

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
Oh my, yes, I can't wait for it Neal! A guy I work with is from Cleveland, but knows all about the Skyline chili and is the reason I know about it. I can't wait to give a 4 way a try, although I might need the physical therapy afterwards, I'm sure it's extremely worth it, Hoosier!

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Neil, when I drive to Raleigh from Indy, I usually hit the one off of I74 around Batesville or the one off of I275 taking the scenic route/shortcut through KY to get to I64. That stuff probably should be outlawed by the FDA but it sure it tasty. LOL I did learn the hard way that you don't try to eat their hot dogs covered in cheese while driving after I had to pull over and brush 1/2 a pound of cheese shavings off my lap.

Status
Not open for further replies.