PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

aristokles

Can't Leave
Jan 18, 2011
I have a dilemma with Invicta watches. Yes, watches, not pipes. I posted this on another pipe forum this morning in desperation and will not further seek any input beyond there and here. Both seem to have the greatest breadth of general experience. My situation:

Are there any watch repairmen in our ranks here who can give me some advice on changing batteries in two Invicta watches I have. Both are gifts from my mother who invariably gives me a new watch every other Christmas. She has been on an Invicta kick lately and so I have two from the last 3 - 4 years, both of which need new batteries.

My local jeweler usually does these jobs for me cheaply on other brands but begs off on these. One because the retaining battery strap screw is too small for him to work. The other because the watch is too big (wide) for his case tool. I have yet to find a professional in Pittsburgh to do these.

And...not being adverse to the do-it-yourself route I have bought replacement batteries and large tool to try it myself. (I do other brands without a hitch).

Last night I opened the first and saw the strap; just closed it back up and said, "Oh well".

The other I could not budge open even with the proper tool.

Invicta wants $28.95 PER watch plus cost of batteries and shipping PLUS 90 DAYS! turn around time.
Sheesh, what a scam.
These ain't Rolex,ya' know.
Any help at all will be appreciated. I have viewed dozens of youtube videos telling me nothing useful and culled the Internet to no avail.

kyriefurro

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 14, 2013
Most jewelers will replace the battery for a few dollars or even free. The only down side is that once the case has been opened the waterproof seal will be broken and most jewelers don't have the equipment to replace it. If keeping the watches waterproof is important to you, you might just have to bite the bullet and send them to Invicta.
Edit: Just noticed what you said about your local jewelers being unable to help. No other ideas then, sorry.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I bought one a couple of months ago and it's fine. It's hard for me to believe that changing a battery is any different than any other watch and most jewelers can do it while you wait. Curious to say the least.

rangerearthpig

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 5, 2014
I have a Citizen's diver watch that will never need a battery. Great watch. The technology is out there. Why buy batteries?

aristokles

Can't Leave
Jan 18, 2011
Sure, if one can afford a Citizen. A Tudor would be nice as well.
With one of these I need my jeweler's loupe to even see the retaining screw strap. No way I would attempt a removal.
The second one - I cannot crack the case open and I am not weak.
I'm currently using a 1950s gold Germinal Voltaire Automatic which needs no batteries.

If these were not gifted to me I would never have bought them.

Anyway, a genuine watch/clock repairman finally called me back at 9PM last night and I'm delivering them today. We'll see what happens, or at least I will.

Status
Not open for further replies.