PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

gordebak

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 12, 2016
Hello everyone!
I'm fairly new to smoking pipes, I just bought a pipe a few days ago. It smokes great. I try to read as much as I can to do it right.
I have a question though: The seller of the pipe said it's made of walnut. It's a cheap pipe, but I'm not sure if he's right. He seemed to not know a lot about smoking pipes. Are there walnut pipes? It's good, gets hot sometimes, but that may be my fault. I'm sure a briar pipe would be better, but it's what I have now.

May 4, 2015
Welcome!!
I don't know about walnut pipes, but I do know that Missouri Meerschaum corn cob pipes are cheap and guaranteed winners.
I'd get on one of our fine sponsors' sites and get you some proper cobs.
Cheers!

gordebak

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 12, 2016
Thanks a lot!
I bought this pipe to see if I'd like smoking a pipe, and it turns out I like it very much. My next purchase will be a briar pipe, I'm sure, because I really wonder the difference.

gordebak

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 12, 2016
:) I don't have a set budget, but I'm sure my second pipe wouldn't be more than 100 bucks. Can I buy a quality briar pipe with that amount?

Jun 4, 2014
Welcome to the forum. Some fruit and nut woods can be used to make pipes, but none have the properties of briar. As to your second question, you will be able to get a quaility briar pipe in the $100.00 price range. There are several factory made pipes that fall into that range Savinelli, Peterson, Stanwell, etc.

gordebak

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 12, 2016
Thanks derfatdutchman!
I was reading through the forums, and I might buy a Savinelli or Stanwell. But all in good time. For now I will enjoy my walnut pipe for a while.

Dec 28, 2015
I would highly recommend a Savinelli. Preferably a 673. I have pipes that cost more but none that smoke better. My 2 cents.
Oh and welcome to the family.

gordebak

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 12, 2016
johnbarleycorn, Savinelli seems to be huge around here. I will try it. Edit: And thanks for the warm welcome!
pipesmokingtom, I'm from Turkey. I was a cigarette smoker for... I don't know, a lot of years. For the last couple of years, I started rolling my own cigarettes, and fell in love with some no-name Turkish tobaccos which are easy to find around here. Now in my pipe, I go on with my same Turkish tobaccos. I don't like aromatic tobaccos, and I prefer my tobaccos with medium hardness.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Cobs really are a good pipe, so I recommend them too. I had never considered any wood pipe other than briar until I bought a Missouri Meerschaum hardwood and was pleasantly surprised by how well it smoked. So, I don't doubt that a walnut could be a great pipe. But if you're totally sold on briar, there are great choices under $100. The Savinellis already mentioned, Dr. Grabow, Kaywoodie, Stanwell, Wessex, and a lot of others out there give a lot of bang for the buck.

jefff

Lifer
May 28, 2015
Chicago
Briar works has been getting a great deal of good response. Many are under your 100.00 price.
And Cobs rock.

gordebak

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 12, 2016
aldecaker and jefff, thanks!
You people convinced me. I think I NEED to try some corn cobs.

pagan

Lifer
May 6, 2016
West Texas
Welcome.
Everyone should have a cob in my opinion, Dr. Grabow, Kaywoodie, and Rossi are good starters and fairly inexpensive, also suggest looking at the offerings from Mr Brogg, I was skeptical at first but got one of the Briars for around $25 and I love it.

Dec 28, 2015
One piece of advice about cobs. When I got my first cob I enjoyed it at first but didn't really take care of it because I considered it a "cheap" pipe. That was a mistake because it resulted in a sour tasting smoke. I have recently gotten some more cobs and have started treating them like what they are - a wonderful smoking quality pipe. As a result they produce a great smoking experience. So treat them with the respect that they deserve.

gordebak

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 12, 2016
Okay, johnbarleycorn, I will.
Other newbie questions: What is the end of life for a pipe? Will it get burnt after some time? Can I use a properly treated pipe for long years?

jefff

Lifer
May 28, 2015
Chicago
As far as I have seen you can use any pipe forever. I have a 30 year old cob, granted it hasn't been smoked daily.

jndyer

Lifer
Jul 1, 2012
Central Oregon
I would second getting a Mr. Brog pipe. I have several of the pear wood pipes that are some of the best pipes I own. In the United States these can be had for about $25. The rusticated Kentucky that I own is especially beautiful.

Status
Not open for further replies.