PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rhoads77

Lurker
Dec 22, 2013
Hello,
New user here. I came about pipe smoking by chance. I helped a friend move some large power tools out if his family's abandoned home. His family members had told him that anything in the garage was game. I came across two pipes, which at the time I figured I would sell on eBay and hope they were valuable. The pipes were a Medico Medalist M and a Dr. Grabow Riviera. When I found out they weren't particularly valuable, I stashed them.
Fast forward a year and I find myself unemployed and needing to, um, CLEAN UP my habits. As any natural herbal smoker will tell you, quitting isn't so hard, but eventually you find yourself missing the ritual. One day (again by chance) I see a clearance rack at Rite Aide with Virginia Gold pipe tobacco. I remember the stashed pipes and decided to pick up the vanilla and black & gold varieties which turned out to be $.78 each for a 1.25 oz pouch.
I luckily found this forum and tried to learn the basics before packing my first bowl. Quickly I realize that I may have found myself a new hobby. Not just a hobby to temporarily replace my good old friend Mary, but a new pastime.
All was good (despite the cheap tobacco, which I'm OK with it since I am still learning the finer points) until I recently noticed a strange sensation in my chest after about a week and a half of smoking maybe every other day with a few days consecutive. It isn't really a pain or sting per se, but something akin to heartburn. Although, I have had heartburn in the past and not felt this exact sensation. I know it isn't my lungs due to any incidental inhalation because I've felt lung discomfort before and I haven't had any problems with my breathing like when I would tend to get when smoking herbal too often due to my asthma.
The ONLY thing I can think of is irritation in the esophagus from swallowing while smoking, which is new to my body. I have only previously smoked hookah (college days) and the occasional coughin nail after a few too many drinks, but not as much as I've smoked recently from a pipe. And of course frequent non-tobacco product. Either way, I have never had this sensation before and frankly, I concerns me and I hope it isn't anything to spoil my new found friend, The Pipe.
Any help is appreciated!
Thanks,

rhoads77

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
First, welcome to the Forum. As a rule most pipe smokers do not inhale; at least not intentionally. so it is a matter of practice on your part to avoid this especially since it may be affecting you. It could also be the blend you are smoking. Some pipers are affected by certain types of tobacco. many claim to be almost allergic to red Virginias or some other varietal.

It's pretty much through experimenting that you'll find your preferred blend.

Also something to consider is having a drink handy while smoking. Water, coffee, tea or something else you prefer. Liquids do help with throat irritation and particularly if you are puffing too hard and/or fast.

Slow it down and you should be fine.

Good luck and let us know how you're progressing.

johnparker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 22, 2013
Wondering if the sensation you are feeling is directly related to the pipe, or if is coincidental with something else. Not saying it is or isn't; just something to consider. For instance, I have had a lot of weight loss right after getting dentures, have lost my taste and my appetite. Figured it was the teeth. Dentist thinks I need to see a doctor; probably a different problem coincidental with getting dentures. And you say you have asthma; could it be something there? Maybe better get it checked.

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
What you're reacting to might be the artificial flavoring agents in the tobacco. I would recommend searching through the forum to get some recommendations on high quality pipe tobacco that appeal to your tastes.

rhoads77

Lurker
Dec 22, 2013
Thanks for the replies.
I too considered the idea of a seperate , coincidental outside reason. Regardless, I have gone two days without the pipe and still feel the sensation, although considerably less. If it subsides in a few days, there is a chance that it could be an allergy to an additive in the low quality tobacco.
I really don't think my asthma has anything to do with the issue, as I feel it in my esophagus. It gets particularly sensitive when I talk too much. Still, I guess the lungs can't officially be ruled out.
I'll wait until it is completely gone (in hopefully a few days) and try again with a good hot tea or coffee and see if it returns. If it does, I will have to wait until I can make a trip to San Diego or Yuma to visit a proper tobacconist. Unforetunately, the only shops in my area have proudly offered me bulk rolling tobacco and don't have anything of quality.
I will update when I get some answers.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I'm not a physician, but IMO you are suffering from recalcitrant plebny -- a disorder caused by combining low grade pipes and bad tobacco.

BTW, did you sanitize the old used pipes you picked from the garage? Recalcitrant plebny is contagious, and has a long dormancy period.

Seems to me you've had better luck smoking dope. :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.