Status
Not open for further replies.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
In our ongoing series of "reprints" from PipeSMOKE Magazine, for September we have an article about one of my favorite pipe brands; Dunhill. This article was originally published in the fall of 1997 when there was still a member of the Dunhill family in charge of the company.
However, there are three things I find more interesting about this article. 1) About the 14th paragraph down, which starts with; "The end of the shank is then mortised" ... how they describe the gap and benefit thereof, 2) the prices quoted seem rather high, especially for 17-years ago, and even for today, and 3) the very last line, which is a quote from Richard Dunhill. I think that many pipe hobbyists would consider that thought sacrilege.
Check it out -

Dunhill's Natural Selection

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
The gap he's referring to on the mortise would be almost a.25" gap between the bottom of the mortise and the end of the tenon. In the US, most pipemakers would leave a gap of only .02" to allow for slight expansion.
I did like the description of the grain on the sandblasted pipes. Henceforth, when I sandblast a pipe, I shall refer to the "Ring Grain" as "Shilling Grain" because that's the way Dunhill does it....:)

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
Thanks Kevin for republishing these older articles. They are always entertaining and interesting. I enjoyed this one since I have steadily become a fan of the iconic brand. I’m still considering exactly what Mr. Richard meant by that last line. I hope to think he meant a pity that it only would be smoked occasionally.

May 31, 2012
richard%20dunhill.jpg

I remember a while back when quite a few pipes from the Richard Dunhill collection were being sold, many of them appeared to be smoked very hard, with fully burnt front rims.
Looking much like Alfred Sasieni's personal pipes,

very well smoked.
I think both these men loved smoking a pipe.
_40220369_pipe_203.jpg

owen

Part of the Furniture Now
May 28, 2014
Mr Richard is well worth a quick google as there are a number of interesting things about him to be found.

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
As a businessman making and selling a product it would seem counter intuitive to not want your product of good quality to be used up thus bringing the customer back to purchase another one. Of course keeping a few jewels around in pristine unsmoked condition and occasionally changing hands among collectors doesn't benefit the company directly it does help to perpetuate the brand's mystic. Maybe that's what he was getting at.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
What I find interesting is how the Dunhill brand has kept it's cache, even though (since at least 1967) the Dunhills no longer control it. It is now owned outright by Richemont. Old Dunhill stuff still has that mystique, but a new Dunhill item is just another over-priced, ostentatious object d'excès to me.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Of course keeping a few jewels around in pristine unsmoked condition and occasionally changing hands among collectors doesn't benefit the company directly it does help to perpetuate the brand's mystic. Maybe that's what he was getting at.
Maybe. Certainly Dunhill was very aggressive about building Brand, and mystique is definitely an important component. But I also think that this statement also suggests that Mr Richard understood that a pipe can be appreciated on its own visual merit at that point of material perfection, quite apart from its function, a view which is an anathema to smokers, but understood by collectors. A smoker sees one value to a pipe. A collector sees that value, and more.

May 31, 2012
But I also think that this statement also suggests that Mr Richard understood that a pipe can be appreciated on its own visual merit at that point of material perfection, quite apart from its function, a view which is an anathema to smokers, but understood by collectors. A smoker sees one value to a pipe. A collector sees that value, and more.
A most excellent point there.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
As a businessman making and selling a product it would seem counter intuitive to not want your product of good quality to be used up thus bringing the customer back to purchase another one. Of course keeping a few jewels around in pristine unsmoked condition and occasionally changing hands among collectors doesn't benefit the company directly it does help to perpetuate the brand's mystic. Maybe that's what he was getting at.
I thought I read somewhere that the current manager of Dunhill pipes was anti-smoking and believed that Dunhill pipes should only be used as collectible display pieces and praised for their craftsmanship and should never be smoked as it would ruin them. If true I find it interesting that someone that is anti-smoking would want to be a manager of a department directly related to something they don't believe in. Also counter intuitive as you want someone to use your product and return as a customer to purchase new products. I could be completely wrong, but I thought I read that somewhere.

Aug 14, 2012
This article prompts a few questions. Why is there a rumor that Dunhills have been Italian made since around 1969, and finished in England? If anyone knows anything about this please inform us. Are they really oil cured, and if so at what stage? I have read that only the shells are oil cured but do not believe it. Something is done to all of their pipes which makes them smoke differently than other pipes and absorb less moisture. What is the annual production? How long is the briar really aged?

Status
Not open for further replies.