PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hawke

Lifer
Feb 1, 2014
Augusta, Ga
Ive been hooked on Latakia and Balkan blends for a spell. Virginias gave me some tongue bite so I steered away for a while. Maybe Ive toughened up some or just learned how much to let tobacco dry out before smoking because I bought some Erinmore Flake and Im interested I must say. I need to get away from Latakia all the time so I can appreciate it more fully. Oriental tobaccos are my least understood. It seems like a broad range. So Im giving the Virginia/Burley a go. They call it an aromatic but the flakes dont give me that sensation. There is some flavoring maybe as sense a little artificial sweetness.

Thought I post while I have a bowl and see what comments are posted.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Va's are supposed to be for more advanced smokers from what I've read and from my own experience. They're supposed to be usually the last type of tobacco a piper will learn to enjoy, or maybe before VaPer's. I have 4 tins of erinmore flake, I haven't tried it yet, I just have a feeling I'll enjoy it so I figured why not. So I'd say probably your technique has improved.

gtclark

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 3, 2013
Flakes are inherently more difficult to light, especially when overly damp. One gets stuck in a loop of lighting every five minutes while puffing like a freight train between lights in an effort to keep it lit. After half an our in this feedback loop your tongue is toast. Dry them well and you'll be fine.

bigboi

Lifer
Nov 12, 2012
I started with Aros, then went to flakes almost immediately . I love VA's in all types. My favorites are OGS, Erinmore, University Flake, Capstan Blue, and ODF. I also love Escudo and Luxury Bullseye Flake as well.

moriarty

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 3, 2012
Erinmore Flake is one of my favourite blends. For me it's the best balanced VaBur I've found. Nice, vivid grassy virginia taste with a satisfying burley body to it, which grows in prominence through the bowl. It's quite smooth as well and works well for French inhaling. Good vitamin N content. Makes me feel like I've had a satisfying and filling meal. The old Erinmore used to have a stronger fruity topping but the current topping is hardly noticeable to me except for a hint of anise as condiment, which enhances the tobacco taste nicely. Very good quality tobaccos, I think. It's easy to prepare and smoke, for a flake, and if you get tongue bite with this it's your own fault - slow down and you'll be delighted with the vivid tastes it provides.
There is a reason why Erinmore Flake has endured so long and, I think I recall reading, is the biggest selling pipe tobacco of all.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I usually smoke English/Balkan blends but I like to changes things a bit with Erinmore Flake. That pineapple on the tin is there because that's the flavoring used. As moriarity mentioned, the flavored is less pronounced than in the old days, which suits me fine.

Glad you're enjoying it and the other trick to smoking flakes is to go slow and sip them. That'll give you a nice long rewarding smoke. Enjoy.

smokertruck

Can't Leave
Aug 1, 2013
what is wrong!! with all the tobaccos today ??
ok i'm 70 - started smoking at 17 till about 20 then took it up again now - back then it was 3 nuns erinmore & an oldy well liked then london dock now made by milan brothers .

back then we all smoked like freight trains & no-one ever experienced those words tongue bite - didnt exist - no one " sipped " - only freight trained & enjoyed it.
yes i need to sip OR ELSE & i get mouth burn or leather tongue / mouth even worse no matter how slow i " sip / puff ".

those guys screwed up biotene & the new stuff is crap & i am in trouble - mouth burn & leather mouth !!
cant even ask for help- there aint any - just have to enjoy the act of relaxing when smoking - its even enjoyable looking at my pipes as i smoke
why do we all need to " sip " ????
happy sipping tongue bite all

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
There are two reasons to sip:
1) as you know, if you puff hard, you get more smoke in a shorter period of time, and you will trash your mouth

2) flavor: those in the know aver that the slower tobacco combusts, the more flavor. In fact one guy on another board said that he'd had incredible flavor by sipping a pipe that was going out.
That's all I know!

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
If you like Erinmore Flake, I would recommend also trying Peterson's University Flake and Orlik Golden Sliced.
While not a flake, you might want to try Erinmore Mixture as well. This is a love-it-or-hate-it blend but IMO it doesn't deserve the poor reviews it often receives on forums. It has a similar tropical Erinmore essence but with a more pronounced citrus flavor.
If you like University Flake, move on to try Rattray's Marlin Flake. It is a great gateway to VaPers and emphasizes the stewed fruit vs the peppery side of what Perique can add to a blend.

Status
Not open for further replies.