PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

thehappypiper

Can't Leave
Feb 27, 2014
I finally got to see Interstellar last night and I very nearly pressed "Stop" 3/4 of the way through it. I am a self-confessed Sci-Fi geek and have watched [sometimes many times] all the classics I can get my hands on, even enjoying Metropolis when the copy I had only showed German speech-cards!

But this movie is throughly depressing in it's entire premise, the performances risible, the assertion that "Love is a universal force" which can circumvent physics; it is ridiculous and insulting. The best Sci-Fi movies show Space as a uniquely impersonal fact which only brains and determination can deal with. Interstellar was a waste of everyone's time.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Ugh. The old love conquers all gambit. Sometimes, it's a challenge to discern sentimentality (unearned

emotional response) and intense emotion. Apparently not in this film. The pairing of science and fiction

is always a challenging matter.

natibo

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 10, 2013
Cincinnati, OH USA
I also am a huge sci-fi geek and thought the movie sucked. It actually one the award for visual effects over Guardians of the Galaxy. Ugh. I can't wait for December 18th! ay the force be with you.

drwatson

Lifer
Aug 3, 2010
toledo
Really?? I thought it was a fantastic movie. It was not the traditional sci-fi movie like a star wars/trek. I wish it would have been about 30 minutes longer, so it could have gone a little deeper into some of the theorys. And the one thing that was driving me nuts was how could he be doing the morse code with the watch?

bloodwood

Might Stick Around
Nov 2, 2014
Puyallup, WA
I'm still waiting for Redbox to release it next month sometime.
Up/Down thumbs be damned.

I've gotta watch this thing... With a bowl or two of course.

planetary

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 4, 2012
SF Bay Area
I liked it a lot more when I stopped hoping trying to cram it into a hard sci-fi mold. There was a certain "McConaughey" element to the story, for sure.
Generally, I thought it was 70% very good, 20% dubious, and 10% outstanding. Overall, I recommend it.

thehappypiper

Can't Leave
Feb 27, 2014
I must confess, I don't lke Mr McC. The only performance of his that I thought was spot on was in Amistad, which I think is an extremely important cinematic document. I thought he was moronic in Reign of Fire, whereas Christian Bale was brilliant and of course the premise for the movie was very good. I suppose it didn't help that I watched 2001 right before Interstellar- while Kubrick's movie shows its age, the visionary aspect of his direction, particularly the classic scene in which the apeman gradually realises he can use a bone as a tool, really shines through. And of course, the voice and dialog of HAL is sheer class; a soul-less computer rationalising the murder of 4 humans "I know I've made some questionable decisions lately, but I can assure that everything will be alright from now on. Dave. Dave. I'm afraid" still resonates today. It reminds me of an exchange from a William Gibson novel, possibly Neuromancer;

"Remember, he is not human,"

"Well obviously"

"No. He is NOT HUMAN."

"Oh. Yeah, right. Thanks"

Status
Not open for further replies.